Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My vacum cleaner... STINKS!

Options
  • 21-08-2009 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I keep changing the bag, the filter etc. And I've wiped the inside clean too. But once the bag has been used a few times - it stinks. It's from hoovering up the dog hairs & general doggie mess around the house (bits of food etc)

Am considering a Dyson, has anyone similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Bagless vacumes probably wouldnt honk as much, our Dyson doesn't smell but there are a few bagless on the market now and I think Dysons are over priced for what they are.

In the mean time perhaps put a few drops of essential oil like lavender or tea tree onto some cotton balls and place them in the bag so while hovering it should freshen it up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

I've had this problem before too, what I discovered was that the hose and brush had a lining of gunk all the way from top to bottom.

I was able to soak mine [ brush and hose only] in water bleach and detergent for about two days and that solved most of the problem, that was a bagged hoover.

I now have a Dyson which is brilliant because the whole thing disassembles and can be cleaned more thoroughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I wouldn't recommend a Dyson, we've had a couple and whilst they are very good when they're working, we've had problems with them. Out most recent one stopped working February last year, sent it off to get repaired, a motor had gone on it, it was replaced. The same motor went in April this year, out of guarantee.

Have you tried maybe putting shake and vac on the carpet a few times when you vacuum? That makes our bagged one smell much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

They say that adding one of those tumble dryer sheets is meant to do a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Our Dyson has been working flawlessly for a few years now. But despite all cleaning it now also adds its contribution to distributing dog odour throughout the house :D

My advice ...shower less, beat them at their own game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My mother got a thing you put in your hoover that combats the smell, like an air freshner thingy. You can smell it when you turn on the hoover. She's not here but I'll ask her what it is and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

star-pants wrote: »
    My mother got a thing you put in your hoover that combats the smell, like an air freshner thingy. You can smell it when you turn on the hoover. She's not here but I'll ask her what it is and let you know.
    That sounds like s Drop'n'vac, my mam swore by them when she had a bagged hoover.

It's like a little sachet of powder that keeps it smelling nice. You can get them in any supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Cheers guys, will try a few of those suggestions later. We have to open the windows & doors when we hoover as the smell is rather unpleasant! I'm just worried that we're getting used to it and all our visitors think our house smells like dawg!

I love the smell of Bounce! I think I'll try that one first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I used to use a bag hoover too, and it stank.

Eventually bit the bullet and switched to Dyson despite the initial price. It's been going years, doesn't smell, and is absolutely superb. No problems with it at all, and it's FAR better at getting the pet hair (5 cats, 1 dog, 2 ferrets, 6+ foster kittens at any given time) than any other vacuum I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

We use a Henry - they are semi commercial and very powerful. After a year it does smell fairly 'doggy' though.

Buy two hoovers, keep one for where the dog is and one for the rest of the house. Throw the dog one away every two years...

Or buy one of these.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Buy two hoovers, keep one for where the dog is and one for the rest of the house.

:confused: That's fine if you keep your dog confined to one room. Most people have a family pet that is allowed through most or all of the house tho :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

On reflection! I'm quite reluctant to get rid of our little hoover. It's a small Siemens one, and it's a really good one. And it has no problems with the pet hair, which is one of the reasons why it smells so bad! We don't have much space to store a vacum cleaner, so a new one would have to be of a similar size. I'll change the bag & filter tonight and give it another good clean-out. See if that makes any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I have a dyson animal and I find it very good.

The carpet head is brill and really brushes the hairs out from between the weaves of the carpet. very handy for cleaning as the filters can be washed.

I would never buy one unless it is one sale as they are a great bargain when they are. Otherwise they aren't worth the money if you have to pay full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

we have a baggy one too
    what we do is ones a week we put a little washing pouwder on the carpet and starts hovering
    have always a fresh smell in the house

other thing we do before hover the carpets is give it a brush to removemost of the hair of the dog

it really works well
    both tips we got it from kim and aggie from how clean is your house

Advertisement