Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a (sponsored) 457 visa from Ireland

Options
  • 21-08-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm trying to find a way to work in Sydney for between 3-36 months.
    I currently work in IT enterprise scale sysadmin roles.
    I'm over 30 so I can't avail of a working holiday visa and the 175 route takes too long.

What are the chances of getting a job in Sydney and getting a 457 sponsored visa?

Has anyone managed this and can anyone recommend an Australian agency to go through?

Thanks
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

proteus wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm trying to find a way to work in Sydney for between 3-36 months.
    I currently work in IT enterprise scale sysadmin roles.
    I'm over 30 so I can't avail of a working holiday visa and the 175 route takes too long.

What are the chances of getting a job in Sydney and getting a 457 sponsored visa?

Has anyone managed this and can anyone recommend an Australian agency to go through?

Thanks
    D

Mate you are dreaming, chances of getting a job in what you are looking for is hard enough at present. Never mind the fact you are applying from abroad against expats on PR and Aussies in your field.

If I where you I would apply for the 175 while you still can.

I have seen this question asked for agency's several times and never heard good news after answers where given. However that all said your case could be different, google some agencys see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Hi proteus

as Zambia232 said your odds of getting work and sponsored in Australia at the moment isn't very good .

What you need to do is talk to someone like www.skillshortagesolutions.net and see if the skills you have might allow you to apply under a skilled work visa ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I have to agree with Zambia mate, and may I add there are currently about 1/2 Billion Indians all sending muliple applications for every single IT job advertised on www.seek.com.au begging for sponsorship..... although not impossible I would say that 98% of overseas Intrest in such jobs make the round filing cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I was thinking of going over for a holiday anyway for a few weeks.

Hopefully some negotiations before I travel and when I arrive, I might find something.

Is there a problem receiving the 457 visa though if you are currently in Aus?
    I remember reading something about the 175 visa that you can't currently be working in Aus to receive one. So basically can you from holiday visa to 457 without interruption. Although I will only be searching for work on the holiday visa, not actually working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

proteus wrote: »
    Is there a problem receiving the 457 visa though if you are currently in Aus?
    No problem at all
    I remember reading something about the 175 visa that you can't currently be working in Aus to receive one.
    This is true, since it is classed as an 'offshore visa' you have to leave and come back again if in Oz when you apply
    So basically can you from holiday visa to 457 without interruption. Although I will only be searching for work on the holiday visa, not actually working.
    Yes, again no problem, this is what I and most of my friends did

• Advertisement
Advertisement