Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wigan Athletic v Manchester United - Match Thread 3.00pm 22/09/09 Setanta

• 21-08-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Wigan_athletic_new_badge.pngVManchester-United.png

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
    DW STADIUM
    3.00pm Kick Off

WIGAN: Kirkland, Melchiot Figueroa, Edman, Boyce, Bramble, Thomas, Scharner, Brown, N'Zogbia, Koumas, Watson, Cho, Gomez, Sinclair, Scotland, King, McCarthy, Rodallega, Pollitt

SUSPENSIONS: (NONE)

INJURIES: (1) Kapo

MAN UTD: Foster, Kuszczak, O'Shea, Neville, Brown, Evans, Vidic, Evra, Fabio, Valencia, Park, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Gibson, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov, Owen, Macheda, Welbeck

SUSPENSIONS: (NONE)

INJURIES: (5) Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Hargreaves, Rafael, Obertan
    Ok time to stop acting the b*****x and get back up to speed here. hopefully Vidic coming back can add a bit of solidity to the defense. This is how i hope we line out:
    FOSTER

O'SHEA BROWN VIDIC EVRA

VALENCIA FLETCHER SCHOLES PARK

BERBATOV ROONEY

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can you not find any smaller pictures?

I'd personally like to see Neville start, he did well when he came on against Burnley, and I think him and Valencia would work well together.

Also, Anderson on for Scholes and Giggs for Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Can you not find any smaller pictures?

I'd personally like to see Neville start, he did well when he came on against Burnley, and I think him and Valencia would work well together.

Also, Anderson on for Scholes and Giggs for Park

Believe me i tried and no i can't ... sorry MM :-(

besides bigger pictures provide more impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

As I'm only after posting in the gossip thread, I think that this match could suit us. Martinez has Wigan trying to play attacking, passing football. They could be low on confidence after the Wolves result, and it'll help us if they try and come out and play a bit. I have a feeling that we could really get our season going here with a good performance and hopefully a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Fletcher is an absolute must in the center of the park, hopefully Valencia to start, get some solid game time and not rotated too much in the next few seasons and gain some momentum.

weemcd wrote: »
    Fletcher is an absolute must in the center of the park

I 100% agree with this. He is the most solid CM we have at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

FOSTER

O'SHEA BROWN VIDIC EVRA

VALENCIA FLETCHER SCHOLES NANI

BERBATOV ROONEY

I'd like to see Nani given more games so he can get some momentum and I can make my mind up about him. Park didn't have the best of games against Burnley.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Ye i was kinda 50/50 between Park and Nani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nice for Dave Whelan to be in his favourite win/win situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

Is this on Setanta Ireland? Just looking through the RTE Guide listings and the GP2 Motor Racing is down for 2:45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Nice for Dave Whelan to be in his favourite win/win situation.

Hey man, don't judge! He's got a stadium named after him, what do you have, huh? A quite reasonable idea on what constitutes bias? Pah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

A draw looks on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

kenon wrote: »

I'd like to see Nani given more games so he can get some momentum and I can make my mind up about him. Park didn't have the best of games against Burnley.

I imagine Nani will deffo start if he is fit, but SAF may be keeping his eye on the shoulder issue with the Arsenal game in mind.

I imagine Nani will deffo start if he is fit, but SAF may be keeping his eye on the shoulder issue with the Arsenal game in mind.
    I'd say park will be in for the Arse game due to his usefulness against quality opposition.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    I'd say park will be in for the Arse game due to his usefulness against quality opposition.
    If Park starts against Arsenal then I may just have to kill someone.

If Park starts against Arsenal then I may just have to kill someone.
    He'll be better against a team like Arse. :D

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Wigan to snatch a 1 nil win :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is Vidic really ready to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tyranax wrote: »
    As I'm only after posting in the gossip thread, I think that this match could suit us. Martinez has Wigan trying to play attacking, passing football. They could be low on confidence after the Wolves result, and it'll help us if they try and come out and play a bit. I have a feeling that we could really get our season going here with a good performance and hopefully a win.

How confidence at the Theatre of Dreams?

mike65 wrote: »
    How confidence at the Theatre of Dreams?
    This game is in the DW Stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boom Boom!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

hope utd do better this game. nani should start infront of park. i dont think park is any good and utd should give owen a proper start up front and give him some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Foster,
    Brown,
    Vidic,
    Evans (if fit!)
    Evra,
    Valencia,
    Fletcher,
    Scholes,
    Nani,
    Rooney,
    Berbatov.

Attack, attack attack. Get back on track with a convincing win and lay down a marker would be my ideal scenario. Not sure how likely that is given the way he played against Burnley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Surprised me that SAF indicated Nev would be involved in the Press Conf. Could see Brown maybe getting a rest after midweek, it's a lot coming back from injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see

Fozzie
    Nev Evans VIDA! Evra
    Valencia Fletch Carrick Nani (shoulder permitting)
    Rooney Berba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Surprised me that SAF indicated Nev would be involved in the Press Conf. Could see Brown maybe getting a rest after midweek, it's a lot coming back from injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see

Fozzie
    Nev Evans VIDA! Evra
    Valencia Fletch Carrick Nani (shoulder permitting)
    Rooney Berba

I agree with that team. I want to see Valencia stay more on the wing and not cut inside as much. Pretty much what Nani was the doing on the other wing against Birmingham before he came off. Looking forward to this game and hopefully seeing a 0-2 result for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

1-0 to man utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Any reason a few of you are not including JOS in your starting teams? One of our defenders who is fully fit....is it just that he's played 2 games and a 3rd maybe just too much in the first week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Any reason a few of you are not including JOS in your starting teams? One of our defenders who is fully fit....is it just that he's played 2 games and a 3rd maybe just too much in the first week?

My only reason being SAF mentioned Neville would be involved so presuming that would be instead of JOS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Please please don't be cautious SAF :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Width, width and more width please!!!!!!

Here's hoping Nani and Valencia start tomorrow. I think Valencia has had a decent start to his red career and now id like to see him get a run of games now so he can fully settle and start producing some top form.

I wouldnt be too worried folks regarding the performance on Wednesday. We have changed shape and system this season and it could take a couple of games to adjust and adapt.

Hope Scholes and Carrick play together tomorrow. Scholes had a very good first game and was making alot of runs which I havent seen him make at all last season so here's hoping he is finding form again. I know alot of people are calling for Fletcher tomorrow and I can understand why but Id like to see Carrick personally.

PS: Iv a sneaky feeling Ferguson is going to play all 3 of Owen, Rooney and Berbatov tomorrow; especially if Nani isnt fit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Yeah I'd agree with Nani and Valencia starting if both are fit. Fletch must play

It's not a must win but another defeat before Arsenal at OT and a tough trip to Spurs wouldn't be too smart.

I'll go 2-1 United win, Rooney, Owen and Gomez scoring :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I can't see this match today :( I don't have Setanta 1 .. anyhow... hopefully we can kickstart our season today. Would love to see berbs or Owen chipping in with some goals to give me a bit of confidence about this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Hope he starts Fletcher and Scholes in the centre. Carrick I never really trust and Anderson seems to be getting further and further away from the player he looked like he could be.

It says it all really when you are relying on a just about over the hill Scholes as your main creativity and compensating it with the legs of Fletcher. Unless one of the CM seriously step up their game(which I think is unlikely) Scholes form throughout the season, as unlikely as it seems, will probably shape what sort of season we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Are we talking Setanta Ireland for this game or the subscription Setanta?

I really hope Brown is given a game off today. Was off the ball Wednesday so he might just need another game or two as a sub. Would like to see Evans and Vida centre half if Evans is fit and JOS right back.

I thought Park had one of his poorer games for United on Wednesday so would much rather see Nani in there. He looked great against Birmingham and his pace and attacking mentality could be very useful away from home against a team who are (hopefully) going to try and attack. And Valencia on the other wing, bombing down the touchline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Are we talking Setanta Ireland for this game or the subscription Setanta?

I really hope Brown is given a game off today. Was off the ball Wednesday so he might just need another game or two as a sub. Would like to see Evans and Vida centre half if Evans is fit and JOS right back.

I thought Park had one of his poorer games for United on Wednesday so would much rather see Nani in there. He looked great against Birmingham and his pace and attacking mentality could be very useful away from home against a team who are (hopefully) going to try and attack. And Valencia on the other wing, bombing down the touchline.

As far as I know, it is on Setanta Sports 1

Edit: just checked the website, it is on SS1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Nani and Valencia both have to start. Fletcher and Scholes/Anderson in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Sentanta Sports 1 didn't think that even existed anymore :pac:

Stream for me so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

SIGH. Also thought it was on Setanta Ireland. Was looking forward to that. Also though Setanta 1 was dead.

=[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    . Also though Setanta 1 was dead.

isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im very much looking forward to this. Looking for a response from United today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Trilla wrote: »
    isnt it?

According to their website http://www.setanta.com/ie/ both still alive :S

I'm confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Holsten wrote: »

This is confusing.

Setanta in Ireland doesn't necessarily mean Setanta Ireland so it doesn't?

If you click Setanta Ireland down the bottom of that page it shows that there's Motorbikes or something on at that time, as does the Setanta Ireland listings on UPC's guide. But I didn't think Setanta 1 was going anymore. It seems nobody is too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I thought it was just that Setanta had gone bust in the Uk and had lost there broadcast rights in the UK with the Premier League. Setanta Ireland, a seperate legal entity, and the seperate rights to broadcast in Ireland, were unaffected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its is being shown on Setanta in Ireland. But unfortunately not on the Setanta Ireland channel

It's a fúcking joke, shouldn't have to spend €50+ euro a month just to watch football ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Setanta 1 still exists and is still a subscription service.As fas as I know they only have the 3pm Saturday games which can only be shown in Ireland.

Anywho c'mon United. A convincing win please. I would like to see Berbs get his first of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Team news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Foster

Neville
    Evans
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia
    Fletcher
    Scholes
    Nani

Rooney
    Berbatov

confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Subs: Kuszczak, Owen, Giggs, Welbeck, Fabio Da Silva, O'Shea, Gibson.

No Ando..anyone know what the story with him is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Team news?

Foster, Neville, Vidic, Evans, Evra, Fletcher, Valencia, Scholes, Nani, Rooney, Berbatov

• Advertisement
Advertisement