Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get into ucd? I have no schooling

Options
  • 21-08-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I was homeschooled and as a result have no formal qualifications. Will they let me in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cheezoid

Only if you take the head of the first born

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Cheezoid wrote: »
    Only if you take the head of the first born

As helpful as a monkey sticking a bananna up a baboon's arse.

You'd probably have to take the leaving cert...

If this is a troll i'm going to curse my stupidity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're over 23 you could apply as a mature student. If you're under 23, kill your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Fake Answer: A crowbar

Real Answer: Take the leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

the leaving cert sounds difficult, i maight aswell wait til im 23.

cheers for the help dudes;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

Sorry to veer away from the main topic - but what is a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Even if you're a mature student, they're going to want some formal qualifications from you, or ask you to do an Access course of some kind, to determine whether you'd fit in. If you're under 23, it's all about the formal school results, so if you don't have them, you'll have to look in to getting them, because the CAO won't take your word for it.

edit: just saw the recent posts: um ... it's not as if your 23rd birthday means UCD drops all standards! They are going to want to know that you can hack it, and there are a limited number of guaranteed mature student places. Work experience and other industry qualifications can serve as evidence that you're not a time-waster. So if you "just wait" on the dole or a menial job, do you think you will get in to UCD Arts (never mind Engineering!) in on mature student grounds alone? You'd be competing with mature students who have actually done things over the years.

Do you know what you want to get out of university? Or has someone told you "you've got to go to university", but didn't say what for? :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

If you say "the leaving cert sounds difficult", then depending on what you want to apply for, college may not be for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Sorry to veer away from the main topic - but what is a troll?

A troll is someone who basically stirs up **** on an internet forum. Example, somone creates a topic named "OMF I LOVE TRINITY!!!wOOOT WOOOTTETT!!!" in the UCD forum.

And for a visual aide...

t287597a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Jev/N wrote: »
    If you say "the leaving cert sounds difficult", then depending on what you want to apply for, college may not be for you
    I was tempted to say something like that, but it might not be that bad, not if the home schooling was of a high standard.

On the other hand: if you really can't handle the Leaving Cert at all, you won't hack university either. It's no picnic, and the periods around exams can send some students around the bend from the pressure. It's not an extension of school - everything sits on your head. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭machintoshlover

A troll is someone who basically stirs up **** on an internet forum. Example, somone creates a topic named "OMF I LOVE TRINITY!!!wOOOT WOOOTTETT!!!" in the UCD forum.

And for a visual aide...

t287597a.jpg
    Thank you - that visual aide made it easier to digest!

I'm finding it hard to believe that this person isn't a troll - I would imagine that most homeschooled children sit state examinations as external candidates??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Thank you - that visual aide made it easier to digest!

I'm finding it hard to believe that this person isn't a troll - I would imagine that most homeschooled children sit state examinations as external candidates??

I'm more thinking about some of his past posts.........(On this forum)

Advertisement