Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SJI

Options
  • 21-08-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

How do you go about registering for SJI? does the horse have to be measured? and also how much is registration to a show?

also how do the points work?

Thanks

Wicked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Have you tried looking at their website? Most of the info should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Yes, all the info about registering, fence heights, points etc is on the website sji.ie As well as registering the horse you will need to become a member as well.

For horses you just need to send in their passport, but ponies need to go for special measuring that they have on different dates around the country, usually early in the year.

At a show you pay an entry fee per class. That varies by show and by class. You can sign up for the monthly SJI bulletin that includes the schedules of all the upcoming shows, including the entry fees.

You should note that membership runs on a calendar year basis, so you might not get much value from registering now as there is only a few weeks of outdoor shows left, though there will be indoor leagues depending on where you are. If you just want to try things out before you register you can buy temporary registration tickets. You can turn up at a show and get these from the entry tent for an extra charge on top of the entry fee. You need one for every class you jump in and you don't get points or prizes (except rosettes in non-jump off classes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

You can download the membership form online and send it onto the sji. Rider/owner registration fee is €105, horses usually start at the same, depending on grade(number of points) this will go up. 1st time registration will require you to send the horse's passport into the sji, horse must be microchipped and vaccines up to date...microchip barcode must be on the passport. sji will return the passport and your m'ship card, along with a book of tickets that allow u to compete. for every class u enter u must present the ticket on entry. entry fees vary throughout the country and range usually from €15 upwards per class..
    for horse competition there are 3 grade spans that u can compete in..so for example..if you wish to compete in 90cm, you can do so and also compete in 1m and 1.10m. If you so wish, you can continue to compete in these 3 grade spans all the time - though some bigger shows will have a points restriction -eg 90cm might only allow horses to compete with <70, 1m maybe <100 points for example, but this is not the case all the time, often just depends on the prize fund on offer.
    However, based on the 3 grade spans above, if on 1 day, you compete in a 1.20m, then you automatically push yourself out of the 90cm's and your new grade span becomes 1m, 1.10m & 1.20m. Moving out of your grade span is permitted, but moving back into it can incur a fine from the sji. though, the sji are reasonable enough to deal with..Years ago we bought a horse, whom, according to his records had jumped in 1.30m classes - so in theory, his grade span could be 1.20m,1.30m,1.40m (or 1.30, 1.40 & 1.50m) - but as my OH had never competed in 1.30m's nor had he any intention of ever doing so, we were able to request from the sji that we move the horse down into a much lower grade span and it was no problem.

Points for horses usually start off with 1 point for 80 & 90cm classes all year round..I think then 1m classes are 2 points, with 1.10m being 3 points and so on...But details are on sji website and the rules regarding fence heights. Points are only allocated for double clear rounds also.

Once your registered, you can check your points online..You will also be issued with logon details where by in subsequent years you can register online annually (credit/laser card etc) and if re-registering the same horses there is no need to post them in the passport..if they require the passport you can email them a scanned copy of it, which is what i did this year (a few of the older horses had to be micro-chipped for the 1st time and the SJI needed proof of the chips, hence i scanned the passports and emailed them).

For an additional fee (oh, and by the way, you prob noticed - SJI is NOT CHEAP!!!) - you can order the monthly bulletin. its expensive but i would recommend it as it lists all the shows throughout the country with all the info you need to know for them..there's also a lot of other info in it as regards shows, training, rider info and lots of advertisements etc...

At this late stage in the year though, unless you're going to do a lot of competing in sji points shows and want to put up points on the horse then go for it, otherwise, i wouldnt bother, hold off till next jan maybe?

Thanks for the detailed info!

Do you know if there are many 80cm classes coming up over the next month and where they are? Are they only at certain shows, such as those held at riding centres rather than agricultural shows? I'm not registered with the SJI at the moment.

Also, on an only slightly related topic, I see a 'Newcomer' Amature class been introduced. Do you know what height the fences are for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

convert wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed info!

Do you know if there are many 80cm classes coming up over the next month and where they are? Are they only at certain shows, such as those held at riding centres rather than agricultural shows? I'm not registered with the SJI at the moment.

Also, on an only slightly related topic, I see a 'Newcomer' Amature class been introduced. Do you know what height the fences are for it?

If you let me know what part of the country you're in and where you'd travel to i can have a look at the bulletin and see whats coming up if they've an 80cm class or not..most shows run them, its really up to the organisers i suppose.

the new amatuer class is 90cm..you will need to register as an amateur tho when u register with sjai..the new structure is for those who havent competed in sjai that much before or in amateurs or for those who would normally only normally jump in 80-90cm classes.

• Advertisement

It's a good idea. 1.05 was a bit of a jump for Amateur riders who were really only competing at 90cm or 1m.

Anywhere around Carlow, Kildare, Wicklow, south Dublin, east Laois and north Wexford would be the areas I'd prefer, but a little further afield wouldn't be too bad!

Advertisement