Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saw this old bloke today

• 21-08-2009 4:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I was on my way into work thi smorning when i saw this bloke probably 60+ behaving oddly.He was bending down every couple of minutes and picking something up and whatever it was he was putting into his other hand.
    When i got level with him he sort of straightened up and pretended he wasnt doing anything but i saw in his hand..Cigarette Butts..the poor old divil had been scrounging cigarette butts off the street.
    I've never actually seen this before..i've seen somebody cadge the occasional half-smoke at a bus-stop but he had a handfull of dog-ends in the twilight of his life and was obvioulsy too proud to beg.
    I must be getting old and soft coz i bought him a packet of players eventhough i dont smoke and never give to beggars.
    Is the country getting that bad that the senior citizens are reduced to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

an act of kindness, from you?! WTF!

Degsy the humanitarian? Somethings not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Degsy's account has being hacked!!!!

serious note: Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Will wrote: »
    an act of kindness, from you?! WTF!

Degsy the humanitarian? Somethings not right.
    I have to admit i was expecting this story to end with a sleeper hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fair play to you for buying him some smokes. There's still some hope for us all :pac:

Yeah it's pretty tough for OAPs who are on small fixed pensions I'd imagine, cigarettes would take up most of that probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's their own fault if they're spending money that could be spend on healthcare or food on smokes, I have no symathy, nobody *needs* to smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fair play to you for buying him some smokes. There's still some hope for us all :pac:

Yeah it's pretty tough for OAPs who are on small fixed pensions I'd imagine, cigarettes would take up most of that probably

I mean the bloke wasnt a wino or anything like that..a bit tatty but a normal-enough sort of old geezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I've calmed down a bit now. Degsy, fair play. Nice of you to do that.

Ireland has gone to the dogs alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Degsy wrote: »
    I was on my way into work thi smorning when i saw this bloke probably 60+ behaving oddly.He was bending down every couple of minutes and picking something up and whatever it was he was putting into his other hand.
    When i got level with him he sort of straightened up and pretended he wasnt doing anything but i saw in his hand..Cigarette Butts..the poor old divil had been scrounging cigarette butts off the street.

You sure it wasn't dog sh1te?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I've never actually seen this before..i've seen somebody cadge the occasional half-smoke at a bus-stop but he had a handfull of dog-ends in the twilight of his life and was obvioulsy too proud to beg.
    I must be getting old and soft coz i bought him a packet of players eventhough i dont smoke and never give to beggars.

It was Bono, wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Yeah, they squeeze all the tobacco in to their tobacco pouch for rollies. Fair play to you, very degrading for the old dude. I saw a guy knocking back a can at ll in the morning in Dublin once and there was tears streaming down his face, I mean pouring, he was obviously really really upset and his life was in sheet. I worked nearby and ended up doing him a few favours. He was on the cusp of begging, to embarrassed to do it, but getting pretty very desperate. Awful place to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, Degsy, you bleeding heart, pinko, liberal......................

That was nice of you. Though it is interesting that you took pity on an addicted smoker and maybe you wouldn't on an alcoholic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Piste wrote: »
    It's their own fault if they're spending money that could be spend on healthcare or food on smokes, I have no symathy, nobody *needs* to smoke.

Nobody needs to eat steak, but it's nice. Nobody needs a duvet just a wool blanket but that's nice too.... Come on we all have little things we like! And at his age surely he's earned the right to balls up his own health as much as he likes?

I look forward to the day you are too poor to indulge in a little luxury (caffeine, sweets or whatever you like) and we can just walk by and say we've no sympathy.

Smoking is a horrible crappy habbit to be fair btw (and yeah i'm a smoker, no s*** eh?) but leave the guy do it!

Good man degsy! Human kindness isn't dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

K-9 wrote: »

That was nice of you. Though it is interesting that you took pity on an addicted smoker and maybe you wouldn't on an alcoholic.
    Doesn't alcohol have carbs though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

K-9 wrote: »

in fairness a few smokes never broke up any families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

That was very kind.

Unfortunately I have seen down-and-outs picking cigarette butts off the street here in Ireland before. It's nothing new. It's quite common in Europe to see people doing it. It's a very sorry sight indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭themilkyone

Must feel really good about yourself putting the already dying man to a quicker death :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

If you bought him smokes, does that mean you'll buy me that Chanel bag!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Players? PLAYERS?

Degsy you cheapskate, could you not have bought the chap a decent packet of smokes for godsake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Well done i say!!!

if only there was more like you in this day and age :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I dont understand whats wrong with picking up smokes from the street, i dont smoke myself its way too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If you bought him smokes, does that mean you'll buy me that Chanel bag!? :D

Oh all right then!Anything to stop you nagging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I dont understand whats wrong with picking up smokes from the street, i dont smoke myself its way too expensive.
    The obious Hygiene aspect, both of the previous discardent and feck knows who's walked on it ( with dog **** on their shoes ) wouldn't appeal and it couldn't be that pleasent to smoke .But then I'm not a smoker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

TheZohan wrote: »
    It was Bono, wasn't it?

Somehow I think if Degsy saw Bono bending over on the street... well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

out of interest ... anyone know if that McSavage chap smokes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

brummytom wrote: »
    Somehow I think if Degsy saw Bono bending over on the street... well

Thank God it was that link!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Oh all right then!Anything to stop you nagging!

hmmm... annoy degsy, get free stuff!

genericguy wrote: »
    in fairness a few smokes never broke up any families.

Sure they did! When someone in the family died of lung cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Maybe he was just picking up rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

minxie wrote: »
    Well done i say!!!

if only there was more like you in this day and age :)

You... ummm... you need to get an 'overview' of Degsy with his post history before.. umm committing yourself to that *cough* statement.

Tetchy, as a way of life..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

trout wrote: »
    out of interest ... anyone know if that McSavage chap smokes ?
    It depends how much petrol you pour over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Long Onion wrote: »
    Players? PLAYERS?

Degsy you cheapskate, could you not have bought the chap a decent packet of smokes for godsake.

well it was either them or a sandwich and we all know Degsy's feelings on sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

hmmm... annoy degsy, get free stuff!

That's why there are so many student immigrants on the dole...eating sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

just out of interest degsy, what did the old guy say when you gave them to him?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Maybe he was a dentist and needed the butts to replace the expensive cotton buds they put in your mouth. Just be thankful it wasn't a substitute for mouthwash he needed :PAC:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Very classy of you Degsy, I always give the spare change that I have to Beggars but even I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy them something from the shop! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Must feel really good about yourself putting the already dying man to a quicker death :D
    How do we know your man is dying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fair play Degsy, I'd say you made that guy's week.

Piste, he could be barely scraping by for food at the moment and has probably been smoking for many years. It's a hard thing to quit. Surely an elderly gentleman deserves to have one small pleasure?

phasers wrote: »
    Fair play Degsy, I'd say you made that guy's week.

Piste, he could be barely scraping by for food at the moment and has probably been smoking for many years. It's a hard thing to quit. Surely an elderly gentleman deserves to have one small pleasure?

As if masturbation isn't enough!
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

As if masturbation isn't enough!
    :pac:
    Maybe he has arthritis ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

phasers wrote: »
    Maybe he has arthritis ;)
    he should have given the oul fella a tug instead so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Degsy:
    Fixered that for ya.

Next Beers and you see me outside, picking stuff up off the road, I'll have a Habana Romeo Y Julieta double corona please.
    Although, as the pub is called Karma, I might have to buy You a pint.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

About time you bought your ould fella a few fags you cheap bugger ...hmmm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It was all part of my new reality show called Altruistic Camera.

We plant typically vulnerable citizens on the streets with a hidden camera and film the best acts of kindness that they inspire in the populace so that we can have a good snigger in our South Dublin studio about their PC, do-gooding lameness and essential lack of entrepreneurial fibre.

Our focus groups did advise us that senior citizens were sympathy paydirt, as it were, and we took care to plant the old fogeys in the vicinity of bank-links and shops that stocked Players.

It's all very now and very Dublin and we expect it to really strike a chord with our target market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

He was probably cleaning the pathway in front of his house or business. I can imagine him telling everyone that the strangest thing happened to him this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

the guy has probably no home, hope or life left in him, the least the poor aul fecker can have is a ciggy and enjoy it. Lets not look down our noses on the less fortunate.

I posted this story before here somewhere about the time i left the pub one night about 6 years ago, i had just had a fight with my then girlfriend i wasnt in the best of form, this homeless guy sitting on the ground as i walked by asked "spare some change?" i snapped back at him "get a fcuking job!".... he just replied "ok , sorry" by the time i had taken about 10 more steps the feeling of guilt hit me like a stone wall.. who the fcuk was i to say that to him? I knew nothing about him or his past or what he has being through.. my gf wasnt impressed either but i went up to the nearest chipper bought a burger chips and a coffee and walked back to him... i was aware that he was well within his rights to tell me to go fcuk myself as he threw the food back at me, however, i went back to him and apologised to him prefusely.. i think the most humbeling thing of all was his reaction, he was so nice about it and said it happens all the tim, the bit of food i gave him, he received like i gave him a thousand euro he was thrilled, we stayed and chatted and he told me of the circumstances that lead to his current position, i was humbled and learnt a vey valueable life lesson.. never look down on other people, since that time ive had my ups and downs that cold possibly have placed me in a position where i could have ended up on hard times if i didnt have support, ones own head is a very powerful asset, but can be your greatest enemy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

Putting aside whether or not cigarettes are a need or a want and all that, I have to say fair play to the OP. It was a really nice thing to do, and I have to say it was very good of you. Fair play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Some guy came to my door looking for donations to a local small charity who help down syndrome kids in the area, he even had a few pictures of the down syndrome kids but I said naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Well done Degsy, that was a very nice thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

WTF???
    A lot of old people started smoking before there was any knowledge of it being dangerous and got hooked again before it became dangerous. No this guy does need to smoke as such but chances are this is the only comfort the poor guy has is in life.

I'm thirty, I smoke if you want to have a dig at smokers, I'm your target market not some old guy.

By the way Snyper, love the post fair balls to you, it would have been so easy to just walk on and forget the begger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

snyper wrote: »
    the guy has probably no home, hope or life left in him, the least the poor aul fecker can have is a ciggy and enjoy it. Lets not look down our noses on the less fortunate.

I posted this story before here somewhere about the time i left the pub one night about 6 years ago, i had just had a fight with my then girlfriend i wasnt in the best of form, this homeless guy sitting on the ground as i walked by asked "spare some change?" i snapped back at him "get a fcuking job!".... he just replied "ok , sorry" by the time i had taken about 10 more steps the feeling of guilt hit me like a stone wall.. who the fcuk was i to say that to him? I knew nothing about him or his past or what he has being through.. my gf wasnt impressed either but i went up to the nearest chipper bought a burger chips and a coffee and walked back to him... i was aware that he was well within his rights to tell me to go fcuk myself as he threw the food back at me, however, i went back to him and apologised to him prefusely.. i think the most humbeling thing of all was his reaction, he was so nice about it and said it happens all the tim, the bit of food i gave him, he received like i gave him a thousand euro he was thrilled, we stayed and chatted and he told me of the circumstances that lead to his current position, i was humbled and learnt a vey valueable life lesson.. never look down on other people, since that time ive had my ups and downs that cold possibly have placed me in a position where i could have ended up on hard times if i didnt have support, ones own head is a very powerful asset, but can be your greatest enemy too.

Good man snyper, fair play to you.. you seem to get a slightly bad rep. on here which is a shame.

Next time I walk past a homeless person, I'll be less selfish

• Advertisement
Advertisement