Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent tomatoes?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone

Is there any place (Dublin / North County Dublin) where I could buy decent tomatoes? Something like this: http://www.sunwingtomatoes.ca/tomato.html?
    I am tired of buying this dutch plastic stuff both in supermarkets and farmers markets (at least in Howth they have tomatoes originated from Holland). Any ideas where Jamie Oliver gets them? :) He has so many receipes with various kinds... Or it's just things are much better with tomatoes there?
    Any farms, farmers markets, stores? I hope at least in summer there should be some places...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Go to Dunnes and buy Irish grown sunstream and piccollo(?) tomatoes - there delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think Jamie Oliver grows his own :) (or at least hires someone to grow them for him and takes lots of photos of him appearing to look after and pick them)

Fallon & Byrne have a nice range of tomatoes, not sure if they're Irish grown though (they're a bit expensive also) I picked up some lovely lookin baby cherry tomatoes in M&S today and they're from the UK. Not sure bout where the toms in the farmers markets are coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The Spanish vine tomatoes from Lidl are lovely (I don't work for them, I swear ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Ever considered growing your own..... http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_july_1_tomato.asp

Or you could buy a tomato plant from B&Q, not great for an all year round think i don't think

• Registered Users Posts: 39,447 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Vine tomatoes are the best available in all supermarkets here. They are always more expensive that the regular variety. Plum are good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

ok.

Buy the vine tomatoes , at this time of year they should be Irish. Don't whatever you do store them in the fridge.

Take them out of the plastic wrapping and sit them under a banana , this will help ripen them.

Enjoy them at room temp.

If you are cooking with tomatoes , ie in a sauce etc , then to a great extent tinned chopped tomatoes are fine I find.

I am growing my own this year , but so far they are still green ...grrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dolorous wrote: »
    The Spanish vine tomatoes from Lidl are lovely (I don't work for them, I swear ;))
    +1 They also tend to be quite ripe, almost verging on the over ripe which in my book is good, at least compared to the rock hard pale stuff you get elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mda

Ok, thank's to everyone for advices. Honestly, not exactly what I expected. Because, this is what I call decent and real tomatoes:
    http://www.readytogrow.co.uk/index_pages/tomato.html (when you try any of them you understand why I looking for them)
    Seems like really easier to grow them :)

Advertisement