Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Search Function

Options
  • 21-08-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi,

I'm running a project at work relating to backing up data from machines to a server. As I'm in the initial stages I'm looking at dates when the group of people in question (approx 60) last backed up.

The way I have been doing it is looking on the server at each persons backup folder, looking for a specific file that is unique to each person to see the last date it was modified - thus giving me the idea of when the last backup took place.

This is a very slow and labour intensive process as you can imagine. Does anybody have any idea how to do a process like this a bit faster? I have tried using the search function to do it but it happens that there may be duplicates of the unique files from older versions of the file (bit confusing I know!) The aim is to create a dashboard to highlight the users who have not backed up within certain time periods...

Apologies if this is confusing, I'll try & explain better if needed...

Cheers,
    Spud
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

can you use the filter on the search which lets you search for files that have been modified between certain dates, it might let you see who has backed up
    rather than who has not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Good old Dos!

What I use to check that backups have run depends on the backup if its a batch file to xcopy backup the files then add the command below

if you are using windows scheduler or some other backup app then run the file after the backup most apps have an execute after option.

using the dos variables %username% and the Date /T option you can create a list of files with the info you need

So if a user who logs in a jsmith runs his backup then after it run

echo date /t>\\servername\directory\%username%.txt

This will create a file in the specified directory called jsmith.txt containing the date the backup ran although the modify date in the file is all you need.

so you would see a directory with 60 files named after each user with the date telling you when they backed up last

Final step go to that directory under dos and type dir>report.doc
    to create your report file!!

:cool: and yes before you ask I do predate windows!! Ahh I remember installing windows 386 from low density 5.25" floppy disks... :rolleyes:

PS a handy command to backup user files is xcopy *.* /s /e /y /d /o will only copy files that are newer "/d" than the destination and also can preserve the acl "/o"windows copy wint do that accross drives!! again -Good old DOS! great for moving home folders

Advertisement