Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Between the Covers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Gillo wrote: »
    Suggest "You got nothing coming", it was a great if not slightly scary read.

Stinky Linky

A parable I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

CDfm wrote: »
    Precocious tu:D

Absolutely. Nothing could stop me reading when I was younger. My parents had to hide those sh*tty mags you get with Sunday newspapers when I was 5/6 because I'd read'em. Gritty details and all :pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Absolutely. Nothing could stop me reading when I was younger. My parents had to hide those sh*tty mags you get with Sunday newspapers when I was 5/6 because I'd read'em. Gritty details and all :pac:

Lol:D

For a few years all I read was by the great and good. My tastes now are simpler.These days if a book has a message I am unlikely to finish it.

I think this is a nice idea, though I don't think I'd be into it personally myself.

Outside of school, I've never actually read a book that was based on any story of anything. I've read about 10-15 wrestler autobiographies, because I'd have a big interest in them, but out from that, I don't really see the appeal of reading, unless its to gain information or learn something (same thing).

In saying that though, I'd be willing to join in here (at least for the first book, and see how I get on) if that's ok with you guys. I don't want to commit myself to it though, as I will likely end up leaving after the first book :pac:

If I can recommend something though, I'd recommend Mick Foley's Autobiography, 'Have A Nice Day: A Tale Of Blood And Sweatsocks'. It's very, very funny, and there's no ghost writer, so it's a genuinely good read. The reason I recommend it is because I can only imagine all the macho, intelligent men browsing this forum laughing at the idea of a wrestler having a book, when in fact, it's exactly that kind of person that I would love to have read the book. It would teach the average joe so much about the wrestling world and how tough it actually is, and may, actually make some people change their mind and give the 'lolzers rasslins faik' mentality a rest for a while (in saying that, I'm sure there are a lot of people here who respect and appreciate their work, I imagine they're in the minority though).

Here it is on Amazon, where it has received many positive reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Have-Nice-Day-Blood-Sweatsocks/dp/0061031011

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm delighted that some gentlemen who profess to not reading much are willing to join up with this book club. I really hope that ye endure past the first one or two books that we select and read. Remember that if the book you read does not appeal to you then that is still a valid point of discussion. Also remember that a book that does appeal to you will come along soon.
    Oh yeah, talking books are a valid way of getting the book. A spoken book in the car CD is a wonderful way of absorbing a book.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'm delighted that some gentlemen who profess to not reading much are willing to join up with this book club. I really hope that ye endure past the first one or two books that we select and read. Remember that if the book you read does not appeal to you then that is still a valid point of discussion. Also remember that a book that does appeal to you will come along soon.
    Oh yeah, talking books are a valid way of getting the book. A spoken book in the car CD is a wonderful way of absorbing a book.

I haven't sat down and read a book in years. I have a pretty short attention span, but I do like reading when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I don't think I'd read a book until I was about 12, when I read a book by George Best and a Kevin Keegan autobiography on holidays. Since then, I've read a lot.

But recently I've not had anything to read. And I don't like the idea of just going to the bookshop and picking a random book. So I think this is a great idea. My girlfriend has started one of these recently and it's worked quite well. Where it struggles is when there's a lot of people who can't read the book within the set timeline. But an online version should be able to plough through this because there should be enough participants.

I'll personally try my hardest to read any book that's agreed upon and suggest any that I think will be enjoyed by most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I would also like in on this. Haven't read Shantaram but have heard great things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OK, something easy to read, unemcumbered by subility but a cracking yarn I suggest "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman.

I loved this book and would happily read it again for discussion! Also, as I don't have much time at the moment it would be fine if ye were all finished reading it and I wasn't because I know how it ends anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and try to join in. All those stuffy techy books I've had to 'read' lately have been putting me off reading.

Picked up 'the big sleep' again last weekend and devoured it in 2 sittings...... Philip Marlow rules and reading is great, just have to make the time for it ;)

• Advertisement

Know what ya mean about reading a book in one or two sittings. If I manage to find the time then it's a real luxury to get through a book in one go. I'm more often snatching a page here and there and spending 3 or 4 weeks to get through a book.
    I tend to read 3 or 4 books at a time, each one in it's own location. There is the train book, the bed book, the toilet book and the 'beside me now for when there is a hiatus in posts on Boards' book. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

The one beside my bed at the moment is a HP lovecraft omnibus, its been there a while tho... Love HP and his world, but the last story i read from that omnibus wasnt one of his best and just dragged n dragged on n on... so I've been putting off the next story for errr 6 months :o Been reading other stuff instead :D

Lovecraft is such a headf__k. If you're in a dark, strange and bizzar mood then there are few authors who can satisfy like he does.

Lets tap into our inner girl. PS I love you anyone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

CDfm wrote: »
    Lets tap into our inner girl. PS I love you anyone:D

http://www.arcadeshop.com/pics/3ball-b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jack_reacher

I think this is a great idea, i'm going to source that book tomorrow. I've been reading a good bit in the last 2 months after basically stopping since Christmas. Good books and all that but it feels like I'm reading the same authors the whole time or else picking a random book that may as well be from one those authors. This will be good for a bit of variety - the spice of life after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Due to a theiving brother, I have a spare copy of Ferguson's biography if anyone wants it - It's actaully a good read as it spans his whole life and covers very little of the Utd part.

Will swap for any good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just picked up 'A long, long way' from Amazon for €9 delivered. I think that's pretty good. I'm mad to get into it now. I've not had a book to read for three or four weeks now so I hope it arrives quickly. I'm on nights next week so I'll hopefully get a few minutes spare to read it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

The Road

best book ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just wondering... With the thread on "chick flicks", and OldGoats' last comment there, could we do this for good films too? Might be an idea?

• Advertisement

Duke Fame wrote: »
    The Road

best book ever

By Cormac McCarthy? Liked it but it wasn't the best book ever imo :) It didn't live up to the hype for me, I just kept thinking...'when's it going to get profound?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

no sorry

the road: the history of tarmac:P

Yeah mccartys I relly enjoyed it, only just read it and i didnt know
    about the hype to be honest. I do find if something is
    hyped up Im left dissappointed more than not.

Duke Fame wrote: »
    the road: the history of tarmac:P
    You mean this one?

Well, sure whatever you're into like :D

So are we any closer to deciding on a book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd just like to put a word in for the author James Lee Burke, who writes crime fiction set in the southern states of the US; you can almost hear the crickets cheepin' when u read it. Give it a try.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

*bumpage ... given the lack of search and the level of interest*

Worth a sticky?
    Edit: Ooops, sorry, I meant to sticky the thread with the link to the wiki and the list of titles.

Edit:Edit: Sticky Wiki. <Snigger>

Edit:Edit: Sticky Wiki. <Snigger>

My booky wook

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭silasrat

is anybody interested in the old classics?? reading victor hugo at the mo,just finished three robert louis stevenson books...... they always make for some good conversation afterwards!:o

I've not read Hugo but I might force myself through LesMis some time. I read 3 of Stephensons better known titles, and I'll happly re-read Dr.Jykel or Treasure island again...I'll give Kidnapped a miss though, just never got into it.

I re-read Gullivers Travels again recently. As before I really enjoyed part 1, liked part 2, struggled through part 3 and threw the book away in part 4. Undoubtly in it's time it was a lot more meangful but I don't want to have to to a course in the European history and politics of the era just to catch some of Swifts satire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭silasrat

I know what you mean OG, they can be tough....im only forty or so into hugo since earlier and the descriptions/language are still bouncing around in my head!
    finished 'Picture of Dorian Gray' last week and that was brilliant! probably read by most already though...............

Advertisement