Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car scrapes - Urgent!!

Options
  • 21-08-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've borrowed a car for a couple of weeks for a friend while they are on hols. I've just noticed a big series of scrapes on the corner of the bumper which I am fairly certain weren't there when I got it. I'm also certain that I didn't hit anything so it must have happened when parked :( Anyway it's a good car and even though it's not very bad or noticeable I would like to get it repaired if possible tomorrow (Saturday). Does anyone have any recommendations for places open in Cork on a Saturday. There is some paint transfer from the car that came in contact with it - should I clean this off and see how it looks first or would I be making it worse?

Thanks,
    Kaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

BTW after some googling I think it is called a scuff not a very bad one either. Any idea how much to fix this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Neville's on stable lane off south terrace. The man is a legend when it comes to that stuff. On mobile at the moment so can't look it up but he's listed. If it's an old car he'll even match the paint up.

Edit: he's also very reasonable.

Edit (the sequel): Don't try fixing something like that unless you know what you are doing. These guys are in business for a reason.

Ok thanks, do you know if he open on Saturdays?
    What do you think is reasonable for a job like this, I have no experience/knowledge whatsoever. Just trying to get a ballpark of what to expect.

Kazbah wrote: »
    Ok thanks, do you know if he open on Saturdays?
    What do you think is reasonable for a job like this, I have no experience/knowledge whatsoever. Just trying to get a ballpark of what to expect.

As far as I know he should be there up to one I think. It's been a while since I have lived in Cork but if I have any cosmetic problems I will make the trip to Cork to make sure it's done right.

Cost wise: Depends on a few things.
    If the scrapes aren't too deep and its a simple sand and paint, maybe anywhere up to €150.
    If the scrapes are bad and there is damage to the bumper (check where it connects on the corners to see if there is any sign of it being raised or pinched) then you could be looking at something more substantial.
    I have had the pleasure of only having cataclysmic "scruffs" :rolleyes: so I have had to pay but Aidan always takes care of me.

The last time I had to bring in the car (not my fault this time - woohoo. But since it was in the family I wouldn't claim :D) I compared the price to taking her to a dealership. She's a Merc so the garage was about €800-€900 more expensive. Apparently Merc Mechanics work for €110 an hour!!!! :eek:

Anyhoo, best of luck with it dude. If he isn't open just tell your buddy you're getting it done as soon as you can. Scruffs are a matter of being pissed for maybe a few hours. Handing your buddy the bumper? Could be a few days worth of ranting and raving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Paint Doctor - one of the mods on the Motors forum here does mobile paint repair in Cork. maybe check him out.

• Advertisement

It's an 09 car if its that new am I better to come clean to my friend rather than get it fixed somewhere without consulting him first. What do you think the right thing to do is? I am so annoyed!!! There is always the chance that it was there beforehand but I doubt it though it's not very obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Paint Doctor - one of the mods on the Motors forum here does mobile paint repair in Cork. maybe check him out.
    Here he is and this is their website. I haven't used Paint Doctor but I'd recommend Owen anyway, he'll either help you if he can or tell you if he can't.

personally I'd come clean. As you said it might have been there before hand. If it wasn't your going to get it fixed.

He is back tomorrow evening.
    I will NEVER borrow a car again if I can possibly help it.
    I feel sick all day since I noticed it.
    I am 99% sure it wasn't there when I took the car. He gets the car valeted regularly and the paint transfer looks fresh. Even if he hadn't had it repaired I think he would have removed the paint.

Stop freaking out. Look at the following;

Did you write off the car?
    Were you or anyone else severley injured in the "scruffing"?
    Did you have nasty sex in the back?
    Is there any major damage to the car that requires body parts?
    Did you use the car in a hit n run/armed robbery/transport of illegal substances?

If the answer is no to the majority (back seat nastiness hopefully the yes) then relax. It's a car. I absolutely love my car but I didn't go ape when I was greeted with a crying lady handing me my keys while blubbering sorry. I got her touched up and I don't even notice. Resale value wasn't effected and she still growls like a beastie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I got my car back from a loan with a load of supermarket pillar paint and some scrapes on it a while ago. No big deal, genuine accident, got it all repainted and it's good as new. I literally can't tell where the original damage was.

it's just one of those things that happens. noone hurt - the rest you can fix.
    don't worry too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Kazbah wrote: »
    He is back tomorrow evening.
    I will NEVER borrow a car again if I can possibly help it.
    I feel sick all day since I noticed it.
    I am 99% sure it wasn't there when I took the car. He gets the car valeted regularly and the paint transfer looks fresh. Even if he hadn't had it repaired I think he would have removed the paint.

check the boot for a body ,just in case twas used in a murder while you were not looking:rolleyes:......drama queen stuuff here

relax man and tell the truth if he's a buddy willing to lend you his car i'm sure he'd be happy to let you fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 brigadoon

Found this page when I was googling around after exactly what Kasbah originally posted just happened to me.
    I am absolutely mortified seeing as I actually did the damage by accidentally putting her back into reverse thinking I was going into first during a three point turn and reversing into a pebble dashed type gate pillar; I actually want to crawl into a hole and die. I just want to get it fixed pronto and then tell her what happened but I've no idea where to start :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Tom Ahern & Tim Long crash repairs and spray painting on the watercourse road, near blackpool. Just before the brewery.They are very good. The place is just a small little garage but they do very good work and are very reasonable. I got my wing mirror replaced there for €50. He gave me the wing mirror itself at cost price. I got them to replace my bumper on a 2nd hand car i bought too. Looks very well. Would def recommend them.

suppafly wrote: »
    Tom Ahern & Tim Long crash repairs and spray painting on the watercourse road, near blackpool. Just before the brewery.They are very good. The place is just a small little garage but they do very good work and are very reasonable. I got my wing mirror replaced there for €50. He gave me the wing mirror itself at cost price. I got them to replace my bumper on a 2nd hand car i bought too. Looks very well. Would def recommend them.

Thanks a million, I'll have a chat with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

My boss got some work done by this chap a couple of weeks ago. He came out, collected the car and had it back in a couple of hours. My boss said the price was very reasonable, and looking at the car you would not know it was ever damaged. It was a scuff he had too.

oeb wrote: »
    My boss got some work done by this chap a couple of weeks ago. He came out, collected the car and had it back in a couple of hours. My boss said the price was very reasonable, and looking at the car you would not know it was ever damaged. It was a scuff he had too.

Thanks; I've been in contact with him and he seems to be really highly thought of so hopefully he'll be able to do something.

Advertisement