Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shattered glass splashback - Refund?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I recently purchased a coloured glass splashback from B&Q to go on the wall over my hob. While cooking dinner the other night it shattered. I presume this has something to do with the heat from the hob at the time.

I've contacted B&Q explaining the problem and they had said that they have never heard of this happening and want to contact the manufacturer to check it out. They have now asked me to contact the manufacturer directly and send on some photo's of the damage.

It was fitted as per the instructions that came with it. There's not too much to it really. It has a sticky back that sticks to the wall and just needed a bit of silicone around the edges to seal it off.

Where do i stand? The product was advertised for this exact purpose so if it was down to the heat then it's not fit for the purpose that it is being advertised for. Should i contact the manufacturer directly or should B&Q automatically refund me for the purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Perhaps the wall wasn't flat, and there was a slight bend in it when adhered to the wall. This would have put it under stresses which would weaken it.

Unlikely but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Your contract is with B&Q. If they want explanations from the manufacturer, that's up to them.

They're not under any obligation to refund you though, they can offer to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its the usual refund or replacement and from B&Q. You dont have to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The shop gives you a replacement/refund and it is up to them to chase the makers.

Poor you, you must have got a terrible fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

This has come up in the UK with BQ splashbacks. Looks like an ongoing issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

It's now about 3 weeks since i raised the issue with B&Q and i still have not had an answer. I contacted the manufacturer as requested by B&Q (even though it is up to them to resolve the issue). The manufacturer appeared to be ready for such customer complaints as they were more than happy to give me the main customer service number for the UK, who when contacted, were more helpful and confirmed that the Irish store should have resolved the issue first time around.

So as it stands i'm still waiting for someone in the local store to call me back. I've been assured that i will get a call tomorrow. At this stage i just want my money back and i'll go get the area tiled...

If I'm not contacted promptly can/should i contact the National Consumer Agency regarding the repair/returns process or Advertising Standards for misleading advertising as the product does not appear to do what it's advertised to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not call into the store at this stage and say your sick of them fecking about and you want it resolved while your in the store, you've been tiold by the manufacturer its B&Q's job to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cabaal wrote: »
    Why not call into the store at this stage and say your sick of them fecking about and you want it resolved while your in the store, you've been tiold by the manufacturer its B&Q's job to do this.

Ditto. And remind them that if they continue to fail to address this issue that you will lodging a claim with the Small Claims Court to seek redress.

Advertisement