Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monitor not turning/staying on problems

• 21-08-2009 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a Dell PC which would be around 2.5 years old.

Last week the monitor was making a hissing noise like an electrical short noise and it wouldnt turn on.

When I pressed the button to turn it on the green line would come on and the Dell logo would appear briefly on the screen and then the monitor would go blank.

This kept happening so I took the computer aparrt - took all the cables out etc and put it back together and the monitor then worked.

Today it is back to the problem from last week.

So it is making a noise that I can only describe as like an electrical fuse trying to start or something and it kinda hisses.

Press the on button on the monitor and the light may go green for a second before going off.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Get a new one? a hissing noise isn't much to go on with diagnostic plus you don't get a lot of repair work on monitors as most of the internals isn't built to be replaced or even understood. If you're stuck on cash you could try get a second hand one from adverts.ie or ebay etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,188 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I shouldnt even have to tell you that running that monitor is a fire and electrical hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Ok lads thanks, thats out of the socket and away from the computer and out the door.

Any ideas where to get a cheap new monitor for maybe around €100 (if thats even possible,havent a clue)

Prefer something that I could pick up tomorrow - anything from pixmania/elara etc that people would recommend?

Cheers again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

On adverts.ie

http://adverts.ie/136668

It is a 15" and only €55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Cheers folks, ordered a new monitor from Dabs.ie and received it today.

It's working now no problem.

Advertisement