Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi/ethernet in Trinity Halls?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey there folks,
    Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to whether Trinity Hall accommodation is Broadband enabled? I expected it as standard but I still have nagging doubt that It might not have any forms of connectableness (that should be a real word).....also, if Craguls is wondering about the place, do you have red hair?.......:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

Hey there folks,
    Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to whether Trinity Hall accommodation is Broadband enabled? I expected it as standard but I still have nagging doubt that It might not have any forms of connectableness (that should be a real word).....also, if Craguls is wondering about the place, do you have red hair?.......:rolleyes:

it has a hard ethernet connection in each room, wifi in oldham and cunningham.

you need to register with the college before it works tho, as you need a college username and password to access the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

This may seem like an odd question but would you be allowed to drill a hole in your wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

MrPain wrote: »
    This may seem like an odd question but would you be allowed to drill a hole in your wall?

The people next door are male mature students.........
    ewwwwwwww

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    The people next door are male mature students.........
    ewwwwwwww

I suspected someone would reply saying something along these lines:P.

So is that a yes or a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

If you're willing to pay the ensuing reparatory charges, sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Frank my Boy

Wifi is difficult. I had wifi in my room last year but it didn't reach to the kitchen or some of the bedrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

MrPain wrote: »

Yes that is an odd question, and no you certainly aren't. If you even want to put up picture hooks you have to ask maintenance which will almost certainly refuse.

As for Wifi/Ethernet there is Wifi in Cunningham and Oldham/Main houses, the reception and canteen/exam study area. There is some overspill into the buildings that are near. There is an Ethernet connection beside your desk in your room. You are not allowed to install your own wireless access point. The connection is on the same basis as in College... ie no limewire or torrents allowed, everything goes through the College proxy. Using iTunes you can listen to other peoples music libraries if they have sharing turned on. You used to be able to download the music, using myTunes, however later versions of iTunes disabled the function. When I was there a friend of a friend ran a filesharing program for the people within Halls (Phantom DC++ I think it was called). There was frequently many TB of data being exchanged it was great, with the network speeds we had it would only take minutes to download entire films. I must say I loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

if Craguls is wondering about the place, do you have red hair?.......:rolleyes:
    Me? Can't say I have I'm afraid glad to see someone else has been cursed with this unfortunate nickname.
    I'm the short brown haired guy who speaks way too fast, see you in science

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

j1smithy wrote: »
    As for Wifi/Ethernet there is Wifi in Cunningham and Oldham/Main houses, the reception and canteen/exam study area. There is some overspill into the buildings that are near. There is an Ethernet connection beside your desk in your room. You are not allowed to install your own wireless access point. The connection is on the same basis as in College... ie no limewire or torrents allowed, everything goes through the College proxy. Using iTunes you can listen to other peoples music libraries if they have sharing turned on. You used to be able to download the music, using myTunes, however later versions of iTunes disabled the function. When I was there a friend of a friend ran a filesharing program for the people within Halls (Phantom DC++ I think it was called). There was frequently many TB of data being exchanged it was great, with the network speeds we had it would only take minutes to download entire films. I must say I loved it!

This was the situation according to this poster in 2009. Anyone know if wifi access still not possible in Halls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    This was the situation according to this poster in 2009. Anyone know if wifi access still not possible in Halls?
    From what I heard, the building was designed just before wifi came around, so the spec called for thick walls to improve sound insulation. Also means mobile phone reception is crap indoors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement