Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit picking in california.

• 21-08-2009 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Anyone try it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yes, but I stopped after the farmers fired their rifles at me.

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Anyone try it?
    Depends on what you mean? They have small farms with roadside access that allow you to pick your own fruit for personal consumption, but you pay them afterwords normally based upon weight.

Now if you are considering employment as a picker, most farms in California are large and owned by corporations. The workers are typically required to join a union (e.g., United Farm Workers), the competition is high (current recession with high unemployment) and the pay is not all that good. Many immigrants from south of the border pursue this kind of work, and there is a history of strikes by their unions over pay, benefits, and conditions of work. If you want more information on farm labour, google Caesar Chavez and UFW.
    Yes, but I stopped after the farmers fired their rifles at me.
    There's always a joker in the deck!

Advertisement