Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs with a BComm?

• 21-08-2009 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Im just wondering what type of jobs people are applying for with a BComm. I did banking and finance in my final year and Im just looking for some recommendations on the type of job titles I should be looking at? Anyway any info or advice would be appreciated,
    Thanks.

P.S. if this is the wrong forum please move it to the right one!! Thanks mods.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

It really depends what you wanna do with your qualification.

Contact your Careers office and ask them for a listing of positions that graduates have progressed to. They usually track this for graduate/alumni reasons. They can also offer help in the area of getting a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyofthelake

How about an insurance company? Or a retail chain? You don't have to work at a bank or financial institution with your degree in fact it's probably one of the more flexible degrees you can get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Pretty much any office job. All you've learnt so far are soft skills, nobody is going to sit you down and ask you to work out the company's WACC. You can work in a team, deliver projects on time etc and that's pretty much the only real value of college. That and the piece of paper. All other training is on the job. This is from a former BCOMM grad who is currently - you guessed it - unemployed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

You don't have to work at a bank or financial institution with your degree in fact it's probably one of the more flexible degrees you can get!

And I thought all BComm graduates became accountants!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

There are numerous graduate schemes such as in PWC, Accenture and IBM that you should be aware off, be sure to apply to them ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

There are numerous graduate schemes such as in PWC, Accenture and IBM that you should be aware off, be sure to apply to them ASAP

I forgot to mention im living in Canada. Im struggling big time to get a foot in the door anywhere as I dont have any Canadian work experience.
    Anyway il get in touch with the careers office back in UCD, maybe they will have some advice.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kylie222

I have a 1:1 Degree and a 2:1 masters in Business. I have over two years experience working in recruitment and various admin roles in large companies (contracts during college etc). At the mo I am doing internal recruitment for a company and I am on 355euro per week and I work a 42.5 hour week...............does anyone think this is fair or should I just shut up and thank my lucky stars I have a job in a recession:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Personally, I'm fed up being grateful for my shít job so I think it's down to you. You can suck it up and power through and hope for the best, or... you can try find something better. These are our only options.

I guess so.......aint life grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Kylie222 wrote: »
    I have a 1:1 Degree and a 2:1 masters in Business. I have over two years experience working in recruitment and various admin roles in large companies (contracts during college etc). At the mo I am doing internal recruitment for a company and I am on 355euro per week and I work a 42.5 hour week...............does anyone think this is fair or should I just shut up and thank my lucky stars I have a job in a recession:confused:

ehh... your not even getting minimum wage....I would be p1ssed if I were you considering your qualification!

• Advertisement

I know! Believe me I am pissed off but there is nothing I can do really! Its not like I am looking for 40K a year, but 25K+ would be nice. I am just stickin with it cause id rather be doing something rather than going on the dole but sometimes I wonder why I broke my back in college trying to get good results when this is the result! I hope I see light at the end of the tunnel.............but hey at least I have a job...........right?

Advertisement