Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity cards

Options
  • 21-08-2009 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I'm staying in Glenomena this year and heard that the electricity cards are not only a nuisance but also cause a lot of problems between housemates.
    I'm hoping to get into house 9 or 10 where electricity is included in the utility fee, but is this possible if I'm only staying for 38 weeks or do they reserve these houses for the 50-week stay? Were these the only houses built in 2006? They sound so much better!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I'm staying in Glenomena this year and heard that the electricity cards are not only a nuisance but also cause a lot of problems between housemates.
    Stayed in Merville last year where we had the same system. It's not too bad as regards causing rows. Stick up a wee chart next to the meter and have everyone mark an X when ever they buy a fiver worth of electricity. That way it's obvious when someone's not pulling their weight, and people know when it's their turn. We ended up with everyone having chipped in relatively equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ianguitargod

In my friends house in Merville 9 their meter was on €18.10 and it hasn't moved at all since Monday....... :S

Mine doesnt move for hours, then randomly jumps down about 20 cent.

It went UP 40 cent the other day too.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Yeah ours has stayed at 7.80 the whole time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jetty1

i no longer have a meter but have loads of cards left what can i do with them? will the esb buy them back???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

How much does power cost?

I am always real conscious when I go over to someones place that I don't charge my laptop or anything, just out of manners. But I live off campus and would like to know does that actually cost more than a few cent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

We have a chart stuck up on the wall with all our names and each person buys a cards/cards worth €10, writes the amount up and then the date. Working ok so far, but its only two weeks in. When this one runs out we've talked off all buying €60 worth, sticking it in and seeing how long it lasts.

I've no problem with spending €10 every two weeks, as long as its not over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

We have a chart stuck up on the wall with all our names and each person buys a cards/cards worth €10, writes the amount up and then the date. Working ok so far, but its only two weeks in. When this one runs out we've talked off all buying €60 worth, sticking it in and seeing how long it lasts.

I've no problem with spending €10 every two weeks, as long as its not over that.

It will be come Winter. It'll go up to about a tenner every week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

errlloyd wrote: »

I am always real conscious when I go over to someones place that I don't charge my laptop or anything, just out of manners.

Charging a laptop doesn't do much damage to a meter. Its TV, Cookers, washers and dryers that eat power.

How much power costs is an interesting one. Your probably paying a small fee for maintenace aswell, so it isn't all going to the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

errlloyd wrote: »

I am always real conscious when I go over to someones place that I don't charge my laptop or anything, just out of manners. But I live off campus and would like to know does that actually cost more than a few cent?

About 15c/kWh!
    From reading the adaptor on your laptop (the power... look for the number with the W beside it) and then you can calculate roughly how much it costs to charge per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

ironclaw wrote: »
    Charging a laptop doesn't do much damage to a meter. Its TV, Cookers, washers and dryers that eat power.

How much power costs is an interesting one. Your probably paying a small fee for maintenace aswell, so it isn't all going to the ESB.

Funny thing is, that in Glenomena you don't have many power eating machines - there are no washing machines/dryers (laundrette for that), no oven/grill (microwave only)! It's the actual heating that EATS it - and the heating systems are all electic, wall mounted heaters in bedrooms and storage heaters in living area. Very expensive come the cold weather :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement