Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giovanni Trapattoni names unchanged squad for Cyprus & South Africa

• 21-08-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100257&catid=1&Itemid=8

Republic of Ireland squad v Cyprus and South Africa

Shay Given Manchester City
    Keiren Westwood Coventry City
    Joe Murphy Scunthorpe United
    John O'Shea Manchester United
    Kevin Foley Wolves
    Richard Dunne Manchester City
    Stephen Kelly Fulham
    Kevin Kilbane Hull City
    Eddie Nolan Preston North End
    Sean St. Ledger Preston North End
    Aiden McGeady Celtic
    Damien Duff Fulham
    Darron Gibson Manchester United
    Glenn Whelan Stoke City
    Keith Andrews Blackburn Rovers
    Liam Miller Unattached
    Stephen Hunt Hull City
    Andy Keogh Wolves
    Liam Lawrence Stoke City
    Caleb Folan Hull City
    Kevin Doyle Wolves
    Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur
    Shane Long Reading
    Leon Best Coventry City

Still disappointed Stephen Ireland won't be involved, although I expected it. Think Liam Miller's constant inclusion is starting to piss me off somewhat even more - the lad might not be playing Championship football next season, never mind Premier League!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Fairly predictable... although I don't know how Liam Miller has earned a call up, he doesn't even have a club. Clinton Morrison doesn't get a look in these days even though he seems to be a more regular scorer than Leon Best over the past two seasons. Gibson hardly plays regular first team football but still no Andy Reid. I doubt he'll ever play under Trap.

Whats the story with Stephen Reid's leprosy these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

i think best result we could get in cyprus is a 1-0 win..and thats only if our midfield put in a good performance...thats a lot to ask! cyprus love playing us!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Come on Trap, shake it up a bit!!

As someone said, Liam Miller doesn't even have a club. Jay O' Shea can do more than he can and he is actually at a Premier League club. It's hypocritical to choose only Irish players playing in England and then go and chose a fella who doesn't even have a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Liam Miller's inclusion is questionable. Why not include someone like Rory Delap in his stead? What about creating competition for places on the squad, surely that's the best thing to get the most out of players? As someone mentioned earlier, Clinton Morrison should get a look in atleast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

What ever about Stephen (hairpiece) Ireland what is is Miller doing in there? The man does'nt even have a job for god's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Ugh!! Hope he(Trap) doesn't get a new contract.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Interestingly enough, Trap is supposedly attending Bohs vs Galway tonight.

Though I suspect its due to Muphys Ipswicth move.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Agree with everyone on the Miller thing. I can't see why if Leon Best is included Morrison doesn't get a look in. They both play at the same club, so it's not like Trappatoni can say he hasn't seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Trap is a stubborn fool tbh. Miller, FFS!!

*Apologies* :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I cant think of any other irish midfielder playing at the top level who hasnt got a cap or a call up.

oh wait that lad off birmingham, ran the game vs Postsmouth other night......

Seriously i think Pats should give Trap a small cut of the Add on for Fahey getting a call up. Just stick him on in the 92nd minute ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Now its annoying, Morrison and McCann should be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Very disapointing to be honest. Clinton Morrisson should be in there on form alone. No Andy Reid,Carsley or ...Ireland.

Liam Miller FFS. Cant wait to hear what Giles and Dunphy say to Brady if and when hes back on the panel. Cant see us qualifying to be honest but im just gunna trust Trap and hopefully hel get us to the world cup....but im not confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Not a rant at all Sugarman, some valid points made there. I do think Trapp has shored up Ireland a bit, we're not prone anymore to the blunders we used to be, but seriously, Ireland under Trapp have not played any serious teams yetm we haven't been tested. The Italy team we played are nothing really to be feared, they're good and they have talent but it's not the Italy of old. I'm fearing if we actually make it to South Africa and come up against some team that will totally blow us out of the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Never mind Miller...Ill Trappatoni is starting to piss me off even greater with his inflexibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

"Liam Miller - Unattached." Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Harrumph.

I am actually annoyed with this situation and thread thus far:

1) Not selecting McCann instead of Miller, Morrisson instead of Long, and Delap instead of Lawrence is frustrating;

2) People still harping on about Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland is baffling in the extreme. One isn't good enough and the other isn't interested. Move on people, please;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Liam Miller still there & no Fahey/Carsley/McCann/ Andy Reid????
    Clinton Morrison is playing great stuff...he is only 29/30 so is far from being finished so how is Leon Best a clubmate of Clint who is either a sub or a non-scoring partner to him a better option to come off bench if we need a goal????
    Eddie Nolan who has sat on bench for Preston so far, and Kilbane (who should be in squad) but has played only a few mins as sub for Hull are in squad. But Stephen Ward has started and played great in 2 premiership games at lb...where are are crying out for an answer.

Trap confuses me totally, and i just think up to now he has been a lucky manager for us. Georgia away being neutral, an inspired Given in making amazing save v Cyprus when Trap made us sit on a 1-0 lead & Given again pulling off 2 or 3 great saves v Montenegro.

Bulgaria at home we sat back again after early lead...but this time got caught out.

Italy game, more luck playing 10 men for 85 mins...and still thanks to Traps crazy right side choce of McShane & Keogh we still went behind.
    Trap in this game did the only positive move i've ever see him do, replace Keogh with Folan!!! It worked and we attacked for rest of game...and got a deserved draw!

Away in bulgaria early lead...and same **** happened. We sat back, Kilbane messed up.
    And we clung on for a point!! We hoped Trap had learned from Italy away, but obv not :(

I see it all going very wrong soon, and it could start in Cyprus.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Delap instead of Lawrence
    Do you not think Lawrence is good enough?

I think he's done enough to be in the squad certainly. Delap should be there as well though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

That squad wouldn't fill me with much confidence. :(

He is leaving people out that are worth a shout and he is so negative :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Liam miller in while the man who kept him out of the QPR first team (and probably the reason he didn't get a contract) is still not called up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Agreee with all the Millar comments. Hes not a bad lad but his inclusion when he does not have a club and soley on his 'familiarity' with the Irish set up is a bit of a joke.

Morrisson deserves a recall to keep the other lads on their toes (he would be good off the bench).

I think the Steve Ireland thing is a done deal now. If he was coming back it would be for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

He deserves a call up on form, but it wasnt to long ago that Clinton Morrison was been called every name under the sun for his ability at international level. Its a bad state of affairs if we are looking for Clinton to be called up, but looking at the squad he probably wouldnt be out of place.

Think it shows with his squad selection that he doesnt want to rock the boat with any alternatives to what we have. He must be thinking "Christ, THIS squad has gotten us this far....they must be like a lucky charm".

Don't really know what to think of Trap anymore...he is doing a good job and would love to see us qualify, but we are a woeful team technically which will get badly found out eventually in a compettive match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I cant think of any other irish midfielder playing at the top level who hasnt got a cap or a call up.

oh wait that lad off birmingham, ran the game vs Postsmouth other night......

Seriously i think Pats should give Trap a small cut of the Add on for Fahey getting a call up. Just stick him on in the 92nd minute ;)

Chris McCann hasnt got a call up. Played great against Man utd the other night in burnleys win. Also played great against the big clubs in the league cup last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Do you not think Lawrence is good enough?

I think he's done enough to be in the squad certainly. Delap should be there as well though.

Given that either will be cover (extremely unlikely to start), I'd plump for Delap's increased flexibility, experience and that big weapon of his.

Trapattoni when asked about McCann and Fahey..."they are good players but they do not have the characteristics that I have in the 4 central midfielders now Gibson Whelan Andrews and Miller"

no they don't because they are "good" players!!! bizarre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

My dad said that trapattoni said he was going to the city game and wanted to speak to stephen Ireland after it.

Has anyone else heard that?

and would it be the first premiership game he goes to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

dogpile wrote: »
    Trapattoni when asked about McCann and Fahey..."they are good players but they do not have the characteristics that I have in the 4 central midfielders now Gibson Whelan Andrews and Miller"

no they don't because they are "good" players!!! bizarre

S**tness?

Depressing thought, but perhaps one of the reasons he hasn't made more of an effort with Ireland is because he doesn't fit into "the system". He's waiting for Ireland's "signal" apparently but I feel he could be doing much more. :( As Roy Keane said "If I was Irish manager I'd camp outside the boy's door" or something like that. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

In fairness, Trap explained why Best is in ahead of Morrisson.

They are two different style of players - Best is a big lump and more useful if things needed to be changed - more useful to have something different in the squad than more of the same. But if Doyle and Keane were both out injured, Morrison would be called up and be more likely to start than Best.

Now you mightnt agree with it, but at least there's some logic to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Say what you will about him, at least Stan gave some new players a chance now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Say what you will about him, at least Stan gave some new players a chance now and again.

Agreed. Whilst we look a more organised defensively under Trapattoni (except Kilbane who should be dropped ASAP) his selection policy infuriates me.

As an aside - what's Liam Brady doing at all? I vividly remember him whinging about how negative Staunton's "experiment" was of playing Douglas and Carsley against Wales. And championing Andy Reid. He seems to have no influence whatsoever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He has his ideas about how he wants Ireland to play. He's picking a squad to match that. If it works, good for him. Lets see if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

PHB wrote: »
    He has his ideas about how he wants Ireland to play. He's picking a squad to match that. If it works, good for him. Lets see if it works.

Thats all we can do really. To be honest I just want us to qualify even if we play the worst football and get results I dont mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    2) People still harping on about Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland is baffling in the extreme. One isn't good enough and the other isn't interested. Move on people, please;

you're right about Ireland. And people do go on too much about Andy Reid, but you think he's not good enough for Ireland, not even to be in the squad?

That's crazy imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My dad said that trapattoni said he was going to the city game and wanted to speak to stephen Ireland after it.

Has anyone else heard that?

and would it be the first premiership game he goes to?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0822/1224253080846.html

you're right about Ireland. And people do go on too much about Andy Reid, but you think he's not good enough for Ireland, not even to be in the squad?

That's crazy imo

A. Reid was never outstanding for Ireland but he was always more effective than any of Traps midfielders....Carsley/Reid in the center in a meaningless friendly against Ausrtalia, what harm would it have done??? would only have answered questions one way or the other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I honestly can't believe Miller's in the squad and he doesn't even have a team! How is he going to be fit at all?:confused:

Seriously, that's a load of rubbish. Hope Miller has to be play because of an injury crisis or something, it'd be hilarious.

Advertisement