Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Wine Club

Options
  • 21-08-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

I'm pitching an idea for a non profit wine club monthly dinner.
    In my previous life I was a State Manager for an Aussie Fine wine distribution company and regularly held tastings and educationals for restaurant staff in wine appreciation.
    I have spoken briefly with Keith at the Cafe in Charlesland and he is supportive of the following idea.
    I would like to organise a monthly dinner on a friday evening at the cafe for a group of locals who are interested in learning a little about wine whilst meeting their neighbours.
    I would suggest a set menu of circa €20 for dinner and a further €10 person for wines.
    The wine would be purchased at retail and would be of circa€12 per bottle quality. The aim would be to showcase 6-8 wines per meal mixed sparkling, white,red, maybe dessert.
    In terms of value, people would get a local night out, no taxis, cheaper babysitting, good food, good wine all inc for €30.
    The idea is of course subject to interest levels. I think ideally it needs about 20-25 people to work. At this stage I would suggest a date mid september.
    If you are interested, please pm me and I will update the thread with numbers of people interested.
    Again I would like to stress that this is not for profit. I will pay €30 like everyone else. It's about community, supporting a good local business and getting to know your neighbours somewhere else, other than in the pub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Good. Some interest already, including an offer from a wine merchant for special prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Fantastic idea. If I wasn't already involved in the Greystones beer club, I would definitely join.

All the best, I hope it's a great success.
    Terry

Good level of interest so far. Mention it to your neighbours. Hope to get the numbers, albeit provisionally, by next weekend.

Leaving the country for two weeks tomorrow. But so far 24 people have indicated an interest in attending. The date I have in mind is friday 25th september. I will organise tickets upon my return and will keep you posted. Please try to support the idea and let your neighbours know about it. i will liase with the wine merchant also to get some suggestions within budget and at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

sounds good

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I need a day or two to get another venue. Any suggestions? Will keep you posted. Following requests I have provisionally changed the proposed date to 2/10/09.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budro

Is it possible to rent any space at the sports center or community center for this event? If so, then why not do a potluck where every body brings one wine friendly dish. This might make it fun for those of us that like to cook and for those who don't, its easy enough to pick up crackers and cheese. This may make the first event cheaper but no less enjoyable. Everyone can post what they're bringing, could be fun. Also if you post which wines will be served we can attempt to match complimentary foods. Let me know what you think.

budro wrote: »
    Is it possible to rent any space at the sports center or community center for this event? If so, then why not do a potluck where every body brings one wine friendly dish. This might make it fun for those of us that like to cook and for those who don't, its easy enough to pick up crackers and cheese. This may make the first event cheaper but no less enjoyable. Everyone can post what they're bringing, could be fun. Also if you post which wines will be served we can attempt to match complimentary foods. Let me know what you think.
    Good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dogavich

Is this happening tomorrow?

No. venue closed down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Toto_02

My suggestion for a place is the community center on top puroga creche and it should be free as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Would be nice to see something happening with this - bookmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 budro

Toto_02 wrote: »
    My suggestion for a place is the community center on top puroga creche and it should be free as well

Does anyone know what the contact information is for the community center? It would be perfect.

Advertisement