Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Welsh digital switch over-Irish reception questions answered

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭mrdtv

johnneyboy wrote: »
    yes uk hd freeview will be available in london and up north, at the end of this year but as for hd channel four and channel five hd from what i know its going to be subsription on sky only and from next five us and fiver are going cut backs, itv 2 3 4 may subsription to ,so happy days for freesat (bbc)

HD Freeview will be available from Wales next year. Take a look at www.freeview.co.uk for rollout schedules. FTA HD is coming next year.

In Wales: BBCHD, ITVHD, S4CHD, FiveHD

Rest of UK: BBCHD, ITVHD,4HD, 5HD

Ofcom DTT HD licences have already been issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnneyboy

mrdtv wrote: »
    HD Freeview will be available from Wales next year. Take a look at www.freeview.co.uk for rollout schedules. FTA HD is coming next year.

In Wales: BBCHD, ITVHD, S4CHD, FiveHD

Rest of UK: BBCHD, ITVHD,4HD, 5HD

Ofcom DTT HD licences have already been issued.

time will tell ,channel 5 and itv need to cut there financial budgets revenue is down by 30 %

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Liz McManus asked the Minister for Communications about free to air satellite television on the east coast in a Dáil Question this Tuesday.
    Broadcasting Services.

386. Deputy Liz McManus asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources the options for persons on the east coast to avail of free to air satellite television; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [45723/09]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): Broadcast satellite networks and services are not regulated in Ireland and there is no Irish satellite system.

Satellite networks tend to have a broad coverage area or footprint and generally cover several countries. Ireland comes within the footprint of several satellites so anyone with an appropriate satellite receiver and a correctly aligned satellite dish can receive broadcast services over satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The Cush wrote: »
    Liz McManus asked the Minister for Communications about free to air satellite television on the east coast in a Dáil Question this Tuesday.
    She needed to ask him about availability of Freeview along the East Coast and his answer would have been even more interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Freeview is probably what she meant!

Shame, the elected representatives don't even understand the technology!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

In what context was she asking the question and what answer was she hoping to get?

As said above, why ask about FTA satellite on the east coast? Did she mean Freeview?

How much about anything do politicians actually know?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭prioryc

I bet shes a sky subscriber...shes hasnt a clue what freeview is i bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Like most politicians she probably hasn't a clue about her brief and relies on civil servants (gods help us!) to update her.

Like most politicians she probably hasn't a clue about her brief and relies on civil servants (gods help us!) to update her.

As an opposition politician she would have to do her own research, civil servants belong to the Minister.

To be fair she has raised the issue of the loss of UK analogue TV on the east coast with the Minister and in the Dail for quiet a while now but has only recently IMO become aware of freeview and freesat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Hi all, quick question regarding Freeview. I'm living in Arklow, before the switchover we received good Analogue BBC, ITV and S4C from Wales through an aerial (not sure what transmitter, to be honest)

I'm thinking of getting this Freeview box from Argos in Newry to see if it works...

Alba CDVB4 Single SCART Black http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322226/Trail/searchtext%3EFREEVIEW.htm#tab3

For £16.99 it wouldn't be a disaster if we never got any reception. Am I correct in saying that all we need is the box and a Scart lead, along with the existing aerial and leads?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

SkidMark wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question regarding Freeview. I'm living in Arklow, before the switchover we received good Analogue BBC, ITV and S4C from Wales through an aerial (not sure what transmitter, to be honest)

I'm thinking of getting this Freeview box from Argos in Newry to see if it works...

Alba CDVB4 Single SCART Black http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5322226/Trail/searchtext%3EFREEVIEW.htm#tab3

For £16.99 it wouldn't be a disaster if we never got any reception. Am I correct in saying that all we need is the box and a Scart lead, along with the existing aerial and leads?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Correct. Plug aerial into box and scart to TV. If no channels found you should get money back but good chance if you got decent analogue with your aerial that you'll get at least some of the channels.

I live in arklow and freeview works well anywhere that had even poor welsh analogue reception so you will be fine.
    Post back.

Lucky you. I get Preseli and Mt Leinster at roughly equal strength. Result ... nothing but garbage. Thanks RTE:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Correct. Plug aerial into box and scart to TV. If no channels found you should get money back but good chance if you got decent analogue with your aerial that you'll get at least some of the channels.
    I live in arklow and freeview works well anywhere that had even poor welsh analogue reception so you will be fine.
    Post back.
    Lucky you. I get Preseli and Mt Leinster at roughly equal strength. Result ... nothing but garbage. Thanks RTE:(

Thanks for those responses, we are probably going to get the box next week. I will report back on the results when it's up and running. Fingers Crossed!

Yeah that's the case for now until rte
    has to scale back the tests when one vision
    discover they are not lemmings and formally
    pull out of the pay dry farce.

Presely BBC itv ch4 five are unaffected
    and working perfectly in arklow

Presely BBC itv ch4 five are unaffected
    and working perfectly in arklow

Am I being too cynical in noting that they avoid the two PBS (BBC and ITV) muxes but have no qualms messing up the commercial ones?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

up the commAm I being too cynical in noting that they avoid the two PBS (BBC and ITV) muxes but have no qualms messing ercial ones?;)

I understand that RTE cannot interfer with the BBC and ITV in this case as they have not been allocated the same channels.

Verso wrote: »
    I understand that RTE cannot interfer with the BBC and ITV in this case as they have not been allocated the same channels.

Nothing to do with RTE, BBC or ITV services per se, similar frequencies/multiplexes allocated in neigbouring countries must be internationally coordinated so they do not interfere with a neighbouring country's frequency allocation i.e. a transmission on a UK frequency cannot interfere with a service on the same frequency in Ireland and visa versa.

Frequencies are allocated at ITU regional radio conferences, the last RRC-06 in Geneva. International coordination is carried out by spectrum regulators ComReg, Ofcom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Frequencies are allocated at ITU regional radio conferences, the last RRC-06 in Geneva. International coordination is carried out by spectrum regulators ComReg, Ofcom.

This is not something very new. From the itu.int membership list:
    Designation in English                            Date of Entry 
    ===============================================================
    Ireland                                              08/12/1923  
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland 24/02/1871

http://www.itu.int/cgi-bin/htsh/mm/scripts/mm.world?_languageid=1

Lars :)

reslfj wrote: »
    This is not something very new.

For you and I it's not new, for Verso it may be new information and the reply was to his post.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys I was just being sarcastic:o

For you and I it's not new, for Verso it may be new information and the reply was to his post.

Thanks Cush.

Yes your information is new to me and informative.

Any problems with Preseli reception in the snow and ice?

There was a scare story in the UK Daily Express the other week, suggesting snow will cause Christmas tv chaos for thousands as it inteferes with digital reception...

Heavy snow for a time this afternoon around the Preseli mast....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

There have been no problems what so ever. We had intermittent flurries of snow ourselves yesterday evening, and the reception was perfect (quality currently at 100%)

marclt wrote: »
    Heavy snow for a time this afternoon around the Preseli mast....
    Heh!
    The snow around the kippure tx in wicklow is several feet deep now,I'd imagine it's similar at Mt Leinster.
    No problems with presely dtt over here-working fine.

plenty of snow here but probably not that much, and bizarrely looking up around the mast, there seemed to be a little less snow on the ground... i still wouldn't like to drive up there tho!

Great that the signal remains strong... I guess the only thing to bother it will be summer highs! Something to look forward to... !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Any chance ye could post your reception reports for UK Freeview DTT on

http://ukfreeview.mpeg4ireland.com/map

It has Arfon, BlaenPlwyf, Llanddona and Preseli on it (sadly doesnt have the Norths TX's on it

It would be good to see how it penetrates into the East of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Willby

Hi, This is my first posting so please bear with me if I am not using the correct forum etc. I have two queries :
    I noticed in the last couple of days that my reception of TG4 from Kippure on ch 59 has disappeared. Has this anything to do with DTT testing? TV3 on ch 62 still perfect.
    My second query relates to the Humax Foxsat HD PVR which I am seriously contemplating purchasing? Any info on this unit ,good or bad welcome.
    Rgds Willby

Willby wrote: »
    Hi, This is my first posting so please bear with me if I am not using the correct forum etc. I have two queries :
    I noticed in the last couple of days that my reception of TG4 from Kippure on ch 59 has disappeared. Has this anything to do with DTT testing? TV3 on ch 62 still perfect.
    My second query relates to the Humax Foxsat HD PVR which I am seriously contemplating purchasing? Any info on this unit ,good or bad welcome.
    Rgds Willby

Hi Willby,

Welcome to Boards,

I can't answer your first question but some other member I am sure will be in a position to do so.

As to your query relating to the Humax Foxsat HD PVR I have one of these myself and can confirm that it is an excellent piece of equipment, in my opinion anyway. However you will not be able to receive Irish DTT on this receiver as it is a Freesat receiver only.

I also have a Technomate TM-6900 HD Combo Super receiver which can receive both the Freesat channels through the dish of course, and the Irish DTT channels through a separate aerial provided you can receive these depending on your location. However whilst this set has PVR capability you need an external USB hard drive to record programmes.

Hope this info helps.

• Advertisement

Hi Verso,
    Thanks for welcome and reply. Yes I realise that I wont receive DTT with the Humax but was also contemplating A panasonic G10 TV with MPEG4 dvbt.
    I would really like the new Technomate TM-7100 HD triple Tuner PVR which would capture everything but at 500 stg I dont think I could get it by my other half!
    Back to the Humax I was told at work today by someone who recently got one for a present that she is getting some problems with the remote and when investigating further online she came across several bloggs with similar remote problems. Any comment appreciated?
    Rgds
    Willby

Hi Verso,
    Back to the Humax I was told at work today by someone who recently got one for a present that she is getting some problems with the remote and when investigating further online she came across several bloggs with similar remote problems. Any comment appreciated?

Hi Willby,

I have had my Humax for about 5 months now and have had no problems with either the receiver or the remote. Certainly on looking at some of the blogs here on Boards there has been problems with the remote. I do find that it can be slow but mine still does the job.

Thanks Verso. Definitely going to get one. Richersounds.ie are offering it at 239 stg + 12 stg delivery. This is the best price I;ve seen even when currency difference is taken into account. Where did you purchase?
    Rgds
    Willby

Thanks Verso. Definitely going to get one. Richersounds.ie are offering it at 239 stg + 12 stg delivery. This is the best price I;ve seen even when currency difference is taken into account. Where did you purchase?
    Rgds
    Willby

I purchased mine from an E-Bay Irish source for €325.00 including postage. You are getting a better deal from Richersounds.

Regards,

Verso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Willby

Problems with the G10 and Irish DTT and Panasonic Freesat Combo products in general with Irish DTT.

Have a look at the LG LF7700 series (also a Freesat Combo). Work no problem with Irish DTT ands a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

Willby I also have the Humax pvr and its fantastic for the freesat,very easy to use nice epg great picture quality. BUT the remote control is driving me mad.It was bought in May from Richersounds and before Christmas i inserted a thrid set of batteries in the hope it will make a difference.Sometimes remote works perfect (well like it supposed to) but other times you may have to keep pushing the buttons over and over again,and wave remote at the box,maybe even get off your arse to change manually from the box,and all of a sudden remote will work and jump forward 15 channels when you only want to go forward one,and you start same procedure all over again to go back down 14 channels. Good luck if you buy.

• Advertisement

Tks Stb and 20/20.
    Stb Dont know much about the LG. Are they any good?
    I already have a 42" Panny plasma not full hd) and am ver pleased with it, hence my leanings towards the G10.

Hi 20/20. Glad to hear you are happy with the Humax Foxsat. Am waiting for Richersounds to get in new supply on Friday next.
    Please forgive me if I am repeating something you have heard a dozen times but I was reading on avforums that if experiencing problems with the remote to ensure that you have removed the plastic cover on the ir sensor inside the flap in addition to the cover on the outside of the flap.
    Rgds
    Willby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

Thanks Willby i also read that and yes i had removed the protective plastic from inside and out.The box is great and remote works 85% of the time with no trouble.Just sometimes for no reason it acts up,and when it does it realy f**kin does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

20/20 wrote: »
    Thanks Willby i also read that and yes i had removed the protective plastic from inside and out.The box is great and remote works 85% of the time with no trouble.Just sometimes for no reason it acts up,and when it does it realy f**kin does.

I know I may be stating the obvious but if the remote is faulty and it's still under guarantee, why not have them replace it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

any ideas when rte might change their frequencies ? they are still knocking out the welsh digital stations. all we can get is about ten or so BBC + ITV +CH4/5 + all the radio

rte 1 , 2, news, TV3, TG4 , are beaming in perfectly with mpeg 4 but why did they choose nearly the same frequencies as the welsh!?!? its not as if there isnt a choice of same frequencies?? surely mt leinster is causing interference in wales? mad.gif

Black Briar, how is your digital working???

• Advertisement

working well-same channels as you-Its better than paying for them :)
    Have you tried blaenplwyf ?

Blaenplwyf really might be the way to go, if you can get a steady enough signal. But, many aerials in south wexford are pointed at Preseli, so if you do decide to change, be patient when looking for the best signal and that might not necessarily be where you aerial is currently located.

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

There is a rather interesting discussion about Divis and Blaen-Plwyf in Section 3.2 of this report:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ddr/documents/ch21.pdf

It is clear that when DSO finishes in the UK that Ofcom plans to auction the 600Mhz band (Chs 31-38) to create two new UK DTT networks. The report was delivered in March 2009 and as things have moved on it is likely that these would be set up as DVB-T2 SFN's as the spectrum is not available nationwide till 2012. Of course these allocations have to be agreed with Ireland and this report also alludes to the fact that Kippure and Three Rock will be changing DTT channels because of the EU wide 800Mhz mobile broadband plans. Finally Humax customer support confirmed to me that the Humax Fox T2 DVB-T2 receiver now widely available also works with MPEG4 T1 services.

aerial man wrote: »
    any ideas when rte might change their frequencies ? they are still knocking out the welsh digital stations. all we can get is about ten or so BBC + ITV +CH4/5 + all the radio

rte 1 , 2, news, TV3, TG4 , are beaming in perfectly with mpeg 4 but why did they choose nearly the same frequencies as the welsh!?!? its not as if there isnt a choice of same frequencies?? surely mt leinster is causing interference in wales? mad.gif

Black Briar, how is your digital working???

For what it's worth, Mt L disappeared around lunchtime and good ould Quest etc (CH42 + CH45) were back on form. Pity it wouldn't stay that way.
    Surely if the bods in RTENL are monitoring this board they must know by now that they are making enemies in Wicklow / Wexford.

For what it's worth, Mt L disappeared around lunchtime and good ould Quest etc (CH42 + CH45) were back on form. Pity it wouldn't stay that way.
    Surely if the bods in RTENL are monitoring this board they must know by now that they are making enemies in Wicklow / Wexford.

I think they know that and there is a deep sense of ennui with the delays in rollout of Irish DTT. BP should be evaluated as this has no CCI relationship with Mount Leinster and is more powerful (+3dB and Group A). It will also have T2HD from March 10th: the first person getting a signal from there *AND* the Irish DTT trials on the T2 box will have established the futureproof system, also to be used in NI from 2012. Of course Preseli HD is coming in June just before the World Cup. I foresee a hodgepodge of cheapo Freeview receivers, combo boxes, T2 combo systems (these are in the works as well) and a huge new range of T2 LCDs as announced by the vendors this last week. Unfortunately all of these systems are primarily designed with the UK market in mind and will shove RTENL services into the LCN 800 range.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mrdtv2010 wrote: »

Unfortunately all of these systems are primarily designed with the UK market in mind and will shove RTENL services into the LCN 800 range.

That would not be a problem if we only have 5 or so channels, might be difficult if we have 30.

Maybe RTENL could encode us as a part of the UK to avoid this.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭aerial man

Have you tried blaenplwyf ?

no i havent had a chance. will try it soon. seemly years ago, there was a high mast up aiming at blaenplwyf and it worked fine. it would of stopped working since they shielded the analog going west. is the digital shielded now?

yes gerry it would be great but we can never seem to get it right on good ol ireland!! id say they are aware of it alright. it will probably be tho resolved soon.

is there a reason for avoiding staying in group A??

There are still some old blaenplwyf vhf aerials around.
    Back in the day we had one here.

As a kid I remember one at home,it was the main service in wicklow and wexford and worked very well.
    No shielding to the west with the new blaen digital except towards arklow but even at that I have 62% signal strength on it with my aerial pointed way off its beam and the wrong group.
    I'm likely outside the arklow reduction though.
    Gorey should definitely be.

aerial man wrote: »
    no i havent had a chance. will try it soon. seemly years ago, there was a high mast up aiming at blaenplwyf and it worked fine. it would of stopped working since they shielded the analog going west. is the digital shielded now?

yes gerry it would be great but we can never seem to get it right on good ol ireland!! id say they are aware of it alright. it will probably be tho resolved soon.

is there a reason for avoiding staying in group A??

There is a narrow restriction in the 275-285 degrees arc to 5kW, but it appears that the full 40kW fires to the NW and SW from Blaen-Plwyf. Note that Arfon is only 2kW. If you get a chance you could line up on BP before the 10th and use the analogue signals to peak the antenna: I would try either a log (Vision 40 etc) or Group A high performance both with mastheads. Group A transmitters have the best propagation characteristics, eg Divis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Success at last.

I tried to receive Blaenpwyf today and got 62 TV channels including the 5 Irish ones. Pointed a handheld grid WB antenna at BP and hey presto, 62 channels reported. Some were topup and paytv, but picture was rocksolid.

The aerial was at rooftop, and chimneypot level, in the centre of Bray, avoiding Bray Head. Unfortunately, I could not take any signal strength readings as I had to use a TV to get reception and it was a very temporary setup. (Arms get tired quickly.) Great day for it, weather was wonderful.

Let us hope it was a repeatable experience.

I will try in two weeks time with a more permanent setup.

:):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement