Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib high?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭

So a friend rang to say the Corrib is very high and is spilling onto the Sparch, with tourists clicking away :)
    I'm home with a b*stard of a cold and bored..anyone have any pics of the Corrib? (pics from today, with the supposed flooding! Preempting pics from 1935! ;) )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It rained, d'oh.

would the friend who rang not send you a picture from their phone so are they too stingy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

happens this time of year with the high tides

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Lough Atalia was awful high yesterday aswell, the fields on the Renmore side were flooded which I haven't seen happen in August before

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It's called a Spring Tide. Full moon/No moon means there's a greater gravatational (sp?) pull on the water hence higher waters.

There's also neap tides. It's actually quite interesting, Google for more info.

Also, a major contributor to the high levels at the Arch: Coupled with Spring Tides is the fact that all the weir gates are open upstream, meaning there's a savage amount of water flowing down from the river

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

snubbleste wrote: »
    It rained, d'oh.

would the friend who rang not send you a picture from their phone so are they too stingy?

Believe it or not there are still phones that don't have a camera! (and sometimes work better for other stuff). My friend has one of these nice old relics.

I do know it happens, just wanted pics...and a curlywurly, and a hot whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tell ya what...... give us a few pics and we may be able to organise a curlywurly and a hot whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

inisboffin wrote: »
    a b*stard of a cold

Oh shit, swine flu's in Galway!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Saul-Good wrote: »
    Oh shit, swine flu's in Galway!:pac:

Apart from swine-like noises, no connection I'm afraid.
    Besides, isn't it here already? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

pics anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's called a Spring Tide. Full moon/No moon means there's a greater gravatational (sp?) pull on the water hence higher waters.

There's also neap tides. It's actually quite interesting, Google for more info.

Also, a major contributor to the high levels at the Arch: Coupled with Spring Tides is the fact that all the weir gates are open upstream, meaning there's a savage amount of water flowing down from the river

The spring tide last month was actually higher, but the extra water in the river at the moment (12 out of 16 gates open), would have helped. Plus the wind was quite strong westerly, which would have increased water levels in the bay a good bit too. That was probably the biggest factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

3fullback wrote: »
    pics anyone

Here's a pic I got this evening while passing in the car. Apologies for the crap quality as I only had my phone on me. As you can see the river is starting to overflow into the Spanish Arch, pretty cool. Might give the place a good clean for once!

IMG_0125.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Used to live in the apartment block overlooking the Spanish Arch, and the water would spill over during Spring tide or sometimes around September I remember..must try look for the photos I took, once it came up as far as the steps...the corpo usually are there with sandbags and barriers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the corpo usually are there with sandbags and barriers etc...

That's what struck me about that photo: there certainly were barriers back in February.

I was going to stroll down this evening, apparently the tide was almost as high, but 'twas raining (and I'm made of sugar and might melt ;) )

Advertisement