Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

What's the difference between both apps? The one you posted is compatible with all my devices Note 2, Nexus 7 2012, S2 the other app is not.

Not sure, never tried the old one. The new one only released now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What's the difference between both apps? The one you posted is compatible with all my devices Note 2, Nexus 7 2012, S2 the other app is not.

UPC Phone looks to be for polish customers - looking at the site links with it (.pl) and the names of the reviewers & hasn't been updated since december 2012
    whereas Horizon Phone links to a .ie site

for both they probably targeted the most popular phones in the country at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

What do people recommend as the best alternative to Microsoft Word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

What do people recommend as the best alternative to Microsoft Word?

Quickoffice for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Carrollman wrote: »
    88! Happy with that and gonna retire gracefully!

I thought I was great with my 81! Apparently the creator of flappy birds is currently making $50k a day from ad revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I thought I was great with my 81! Apparently the creator of flappy birds is currently making $50k a day from ad revenue

Hope (s)he sleeps well on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

flappy bird is being taken down from the app store today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Shabaz50 wrote: »
    flappy bird is being taken down from the app store today!

Oh my, I can't take this anymore. I'm earning far too much money for my ****ty little game. Must stop.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/technology/game-reviews/flappy-bird-s-wings-clipped-after-ruining-creator-s-life-1.1685219

:P :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is there an app to download apk's, kind of like a play store.

My kid has a nabi 2 but play store can't be installed on it!

The latest update which came out a few days ago gives access to the Play Store.

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ninja900 wrote: »
    The latest update which came out a few days ago gives access to the Play Store.

Its been on a loop since I updated it last night, just trying to wait for the battery To run down now and hope when I recharge it, it reboots it!

My son isn't impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Ah sorry, actually this is the one that I installed and its working fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.upc.horizon.phone&hl=en

Has anyone noticed that if you have horizon phone running in the background, the media volume is disabled and you can't listen to anything?

Seems a strange one!

Edit - should say I'm on a note 3 running latest three firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Its been on a loop since I updated it last night, just trying to wait for the battery To run down now and hope when I recharge it, it reboots it!

My son isn't impressed!

no problems for us at all.

You must leave it plugged into the charger when updating.

To force a reboot hold down the power button until it shuts down, let go, then hold it down again until it restarts.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ninja900 wrote: »
    no problems for us at all.

You must leave it plugged into the charger when updating.

To force a reboot hold down the power button until it shuts down, let go, then hold it down again until it restarts.

Thanks.

Will try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Just downloaded hello sms, seems like a decent replacement for hangouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I was looking at that last week. I've been using evolve for a while now, it's not quite 100% but it's come a long way in the last 3 weeks or so with a lot of updates (3x per week if not more)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Showbox got an update today. Can't quite see what's been changed as I'm at work, but will investigate it further when I'm finished later.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

https://telegram.org/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.telegram.messenger

Like whatsapp - but better. Looks promising I hope this takes off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Showbox got an update today. Can't quite see what's been changed as I'm at work, but will investigate it further when I'm finished later.

Downloads to the device using ShowBox are not working properly for me!? Some do fully download then others keep getting stuck at a certain %, anyone else have these issues??

Cheers,
    M

Zascar wrote: »

Not being smart or anything but whats wrong with whatsapp that makes this a better app?

I've got enough trouble getting mates to use whatsapp, I can't imaging any of them using this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

jozi wrote: »
    Not being smart or anything but whats wrong with whatsapp that makes this a better app?

I've got enough trouble getting mates to use whatsapp, I can't imaging any of them using this :mad:

Absolutely LOVE WhatsApp! Wish they would add a desktop client and voice and then there would never ever be a need again for horrible clunky, buggy Viber (on Android at least)!

Don't get me started on viber :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Looks very good but I can't see a huge uptake.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I know what you mean, I was the first person I know to discover WhatsApp and I love it but it took ages for everyone to adopt - might take a long time for people to move to this, if ever. The main advantages I can see is that its cloud based so your messages are stored in the cloud and not on the device. I've often either reinstalled or lost a phone and lost the messages. This wont happen any more. The best one is that it has an open API, so you can have a messenger in the browser, it already has one. So you can type on a keyboard and not on your phone. This is the main one for me. Obviously facebook does that but I always wished WhatsApp would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah I know what you mean, I was the first person I know to discover WhatsApp and I love it but it took ages for everyone to adopt - might take a long time for people to move to this, if ever. The main advantages I can see is that its cloud based so your messages are stored in the cloud and not on the device. I've often either reinstalled or lost a phone and lost the messages. This wont happen any more. The best one is that it has an open API, so you can have a messenger in the browser, it already has one. So you can type on a keyboard and not on your phone. This is the main one for me. Obviously facebook does that but I always wished WhatsApp would

Wait....so I can receive my messages on my work pc too?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/telegram-unofficial/clhhggbfdinjmjhajaheehoeibfljjno?hl=en
    Viber has an offical desktop app for windows etc but I'm not a mad fan of viber.
    This looks like an excellent solution - if they added voice it would be brilliant

I'm surprised Apple have not done this, or Google..

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/telegram-unofficial/clhhggbfdinjmjhajaheehoeibfljjno?hl=en
    Viber has an offical desktop app for windows etc but I'm not a mad fan of viber.
    This looks like an excellent solution - if they added voice it would be brilliant

I'm surprised Apple have not done this, or Google..
    They have sort of tried to do it with hangouts but it isn't great really.

In fairness considering they are google they failed miserably on the whole messaging and social network thing. I'd love to know the story but I reckon that instead of just giving the people what they want they tried to force feed us.
    Crap names too. Google Plus? You "Plus 1's this" - uugh. And Remember google wave?

Now "Send me a Telegram" - that's a good name.

• Advertisement

In fairness considering they are google they failed miserably on the whole messaging and social network thing. I'd love to know the story but I reckon that instead of just giving the people what they want they tried to force feed us.
    Crap names too. Google Plus? You "Plus 1's this" - uugh. And Remember google wave?

Now "Send me a Telegram" - that's a good name.

It is such a good name. Could market it perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I think there's a marker to show you which ones you've watched on TV shows meaning you don't start watching an episode again by accident. That's all I've noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anybody using the Muzei app from the creator of DashClock.
    It a live wallpaper style app which will rotate your wallpaper every day.

Has lots of plugins for it already from sites like 500p, tumblr and reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

100% FREE & NO ADS: Telegram is free and will always be free. We do not plan to sell ads or introduce subscription fees.

Who pays for the servers and development?

Edit - NVM
    Q: How are you going to make money out of this?

We believe in fast and secure messaging that is also 100% free. Therefore Telegram is not a commercial project. It is not intended to sell ads, bring revenue or accept outside investment.

If Telegram runs out of money, we'll invite our users to donate or add non-essential paid options.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Do people really not like Hangouts? I find it great personally. Use it for SMS and IM/video now. I particularly like the SMS integration. I accept though that it can be confusing for less tech-minded (my father for instance can't handle it).
    Only criticism I have is the lack of proper standaolne desktop app, though the chrome extension does a decent job at masquerading as one.

No interest in Google plus I admit, but thats because of a general lack of interest in social networks - from what I've seen I like.

I wonder will Telegram make WhatsApp up their game and start providing some of the same features?

In fairness WhatsApp is pretty flawless. Probably my favourite and most used app. Granted it doesn't back up the messages but for a free app there's not many better than it.

You can copy your whatsapp folder of your device, do a factory reset, reinstall and move it back and it will recognise the old msg's and reload them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

You can copy your whatsapp folder of your device, do a factory reset, reinstall and move it back and it will recognise the old msg's and reload them.

+1

I always do that when flashing a new rom

• Advertisement

I think there's a marker to show you which ones you've watched on TV shows meaning you don't start watching an episode again by accident. That's all I've noticed.

Watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. Slight delay in audio sync with pic. About half a second only, but enough to slightly bug the shït out of me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. Slight delay in audio sync with pic. About half a second only, but enough to slightly bug the shït out of me. :mad:

I had the same issue with the copy I was watching but wasn't watching on Showbox. Might just be an issue with the rip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I had the same issue with the copy I was watching but wasn't watching on Showbox. Might just be an issue with the rip.

Same here with the copy I watched.

If you watch on VLC player you can use the "J" & "K" keys to re-sync the audio.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MrStuffins wrote: »

I never knew that. I'll remember that for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

The Room is half price at the moment 89 cent!

A list of other half price valentines apps can be found here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Do people really not like Hangouts? I find it great personally. Use it for SMS and IM/video now. I particularly like the SMS integration. I accept though that it can be confusing for less tech-minded (my father for instance can't handle it).
    Only criticism I have is the lack of proper standaolne desktop app, though the chrome extension does a decent job at masquerading as one.

No interest in Google plus I admit, but thats because of a general lack of interest in social networks - from what I've seen I like.

I like hangouts too. It seems to require less bandwidth than Skype, so connections are better when video calling people with slower Internet.

I tried it out for sms, but I stopped after a couple of days. What put me off was that the texts didn't integrate properly with webchats. For example, if I'm chatting with my wife through hangouts to her Gmail address, and then later on through sms, they come up as two different streams. If Google integrate that, like Apple have done with imessage, then I'd definitely rethink using it as my sole message app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

corkie wrote: »
    The Room is half price at the moment 89 cent!

A list of other half price valentines apps can be found here

Great game. A bit short, but very enjoyable. The sequel is out now too, might grab that if it goes half price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Picked up the room. I was always meant to be never got around to it. Since it is half price hard to say no.
    If I like it I may pick up the room 2 or what ever they called it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I tried it out for sms, but I stopped after a couple of days. What put me off was that the texts didn't integrate properly with webchats. For example, if I'm chatting with my wife through hangouts to her Gmail address, and then later on through sms, they come up as two different streams. If Google integrate that, like Apple have done with imessage, then I'd definitely rethink using it as my sole message app.

This completely. I've no idea why they haven't done this.

MrStuffins wrote: »

Anyone else notice that if you download a movie to the phone, you're unable to stream.

What's up with that of :confused:

Edit.

Move the file using file manager to gallery /movie sorted out for me.

So Facebook has bought WhatsApp for 16 billion. Unreal.

Now how long until those mother fcuks start charging everyone!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement