Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

I noticed it's using more battery and ram than it used to.

What's the best alternative to SwiftKey?

I've actually noticed quiet a bit of slowdown when using it as well!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

madmoe wrote: »
    I've actually noticed quiet a bit of slowdown when using it as well!!

I had a look at the standard cyanogenmod keyboard and the Google keyboard as alternatives, but their next word prediction is nowhere near as good as SwiftKey.

.............and it's still autocorrecting "quite" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

Google keyboard does the job,has swype and about four different levels of auto correction

jeffk wrote: »
    Google keyboard does the job,has swype and about four different levels of auto correction

Saw that, but the next-word function is a big plus in SwiftKey imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

IF it works ok, have you tried google keyboard for a while to see if it learns from what you type/facebook etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ending_Icon.gif

Ending Aaron Steed

Priced @ (June 2014) €1.49

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.air.Ending

---

There's something very zen about Ending, you can dip into it and just tackle a puzzle and jump out again. No ads, no invasive permissions, just a good, head scratcher, of a game. There's a hint of a rogue-like, with a good pinch of an old school game like Boulder Dash, re-invented through minimalist Nethack visuals that suit the mood and gameplay.

---

Some gameplay footage below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Aviate launcher is out of beta and available for all.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tul.aviate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well I dumped Swiftkey over the weekend, just too annoying to correct words if it put the wrong ones in, and the swype function isn't as smooth as googles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

zLauncher by Nokia. It's in quasi closed beta at the moment, unless you can get the APK from a mate.

It's totally minimalist but a breath of fresh air. Just shows six vertical icons on the home screen and the basic phone icons horizontal along the bottom [phone, chrome, app drawar, SMS, whatsapp for me].

The vertical list of six updates itself over time to be your top 6 apps / contacts used. You can then filter for other apps / contacts by drawing letters on screen.

Oh, and it looks much on a tablet. Seems to only be optimised for small screens at the moment.

Definitely one to watch when it's released.

RangeR wrote: »
    zLauncher by Nokia. It's in quasi closed beta at the moment, unless you can get the APK from a mate.

It's totally minimalist but a breath of fresh air. Just shows six vertical icons on the home screen and the basic phone icons horizontal along the bottom [phone, chrome, app drawar, SMS, whatsapp for me].

The vertical list of six updates itself over time to be your top 6 apps / contacts used. You can then filter for other apps / contacts by drawing letters on screen.

Oh, and it looks much on a tablet. Seems to only be optimised for small screens at the moment.

Definitely one to watch when it's released.

Looks interesting. Found a download link for the apk, but it won't run on a rooted device, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

RangeR wrote: »

Nice! I do not like launchers in general, but I found a modified apk for this on XDA and it works great on my unrooted M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Mr E wrote: »
    Aviate launcher is out of beta and available for all.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tul.aviate

Tried it last year on beta - didn't seem to do much that a simple group of apps won't do for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

picked up a chromecast to day
    what are the best apps for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

naughto wrote: »
    picked up a chromecast to day
    what are the best apps for it?

Nearly complete list of apps
    (Get's updated regularly).

Not for android but a chrome extension : - VideoStream is my most used and favorite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads I've 3 weather apps!
    The weather channel tells me it's 22 degrees.
    Google now tells me 17 and aix and yr both tell me it's 19 degrees.
    My car tells me it's 20 degrees.

Is there such a thing as an accurate app?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Weatherbug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Weatherbug.

Will give it a blast

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

YouTube
    Netflix
    Filmon
    Showbox

They're the apps I use most with the Chromecast.
    Forgive my ignorance, don't see show box listed.Have it installed? There doesn't seem to be a means of using it with chromecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭blarney_army

I use localcast to stream show box to chromecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I use localcast to stream show box to chromecast

Is Chromecast the best "dongle" to stream media to these days? I thought it was pretty restricted. Can I use it to stream XBMC (or another media player) from my phone to my TV? I have content on a local NAS which I stream to my phone over WiFi and I have an app I use for streaming online sports content on my phone also. It would be nice from time to time to stream these to a TV. Is this possible with Chromecast using an app like Localcast?

Ben

seligehgit wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, don't see show box listed.Have it installed? There doesn't seem to be a means of using it with chromecast?

I use all cast premiere for show box got it off the place that starts with kick and a donkey at the end:-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I use all cast premiere for show box got it off the place that starts with kick and a donkey at the end:-D

Allcast premium? The app you can legally buy for a few euro, or is there another app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast.license

Allcast premium? The app you can legally buy for a few euro, or is there another app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast.license

That's it was on the donkey site and seen it so downloaded it

That's it was on the donkey site and seen it so downloaded it

I use allcast as well, most reliable one I've used so far.

I use allcast as well, most reliable one I've used so far.

So Chromecast dongle + Allcast app = cast everything from your phone to your TV?

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    So Chromecast dongle + Allcast app = cast everything from your phone to your TV?

Ben

Premium version works well for me anyway on anything in a format the chromecast will accept. Streams well from apps like the one mentioned above and similar too.

Localcast and Avia do the same I think, but I tend to just use allcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Still no way to cast american content from netflix to tv though is there?? Maybe there has been developments in this, so that's why I'm asking. I have a sky router, so pretty restricted I'd say. Also if I have my vpu set to uk content can I cast the BBC player do you think? I can watch it on my tablet at the moment like that. Just wondering.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hey guys,

Just doing a bit of reading up on the Chromecast - it's something I'd love, but I have an older TV with no HDMI inputs, and not really in a position to change it.

Are there alternatives to chromecast, or is the best way to use it and the required converter?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Still no way to cast american content from netflix to tv though is there?? Maybe there has been developments in this, so that's why I'm asking. I have a sky router, so pretty restricted I'd say. Also if I have my vpu set to uk content can I cast the BBC player do you think? I can watch it on my tablet at the moment like that. Just wondering.:confused:

I think you'll experience the same problem trying to cast bbc iPlayer as you do us Netflix.

I think you'll experience the same problem trying to cast bbc iPlayer as you do us Netflix.
    Even if you are running a VPN app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privateinternetaccess.android on your phone and able to watch US Netflix and BBC iPlayer on your phone???

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Even if you are running a VPN app like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.privateinternetaccess.android on your phone and able to watch US Netflix and BBC iPlayer on your phone???

Ben
    I'm just a tinkerer, not an expert.
    I can only go by what I use, a dns service, which works well on my phone,laptop ps3 etc but not chromecast. Dare say it is possible by changing router settings to use chromecast to watch US Netflix or BBC iPlayer, bit of googling should do it. I see no need to bother though really because anything I want to stream that isn't available will be on one of the many apps that aren't discussed here.

The chromecast connects directly to the content provider via your modem/router so unless you've messed around with your DNS settings and stuff like that it will know where you're located so give you the appropriate content ala Netflix, or won't work ala BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, I realise they're hardcoded into it which is why there'd be lots of faffing about with the router, something I couldn't be arsed doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone know of any apps that let me divert certain callers to a certain number.

Ie, of on hols next week, I'll put my phone on divert to my office, but there's certain people that I would like to divert to my personal number?

Example, Joe Bloggs, a customer calls me, he goes straight to the office.

The office call me, they get my personal number ?

Don't know if this is even possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Recent a galaxy s5.

Have never even played a game on Android. Rather than wading through this entire thread can someone give a few examples of the best games out there at the moment?

• Advertisement

Just go to the Google Play store and look at the chart for the most popular games...well it's a start anyway! :)

Top Free Games

Top Paid Games

HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Get the amazon app store app too * you cant get it on google play, you can get it from amazon.
    install that and check back every day, they give a free app everyday * just make sure you read the reviews as some of them tell you how invasive the apps are. but as well as that amazon are doing £100 worth of free apps :D

http://tinyurl.com/ngnv2qp

whats the best app for downloading torrents?
    looking at this one
    http://www.transdroid.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

whats the best app for downloading torrents?
    looking at this one
    http://www.transdroid.org/

uTorrent: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.utorrent.client&hl=en

dulpit wrote: »
    i had that put i cant add them any more for some reason the optiion to save to location does not come up any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Atorrent beta :)
    Only used it a 3 or 4 times over the years, but it's so simple, I never had any issues with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

ADownloader has never failed me for torrents, get the blue iconed one

Does anyone know the URLs to add to your Adblocker whitelist to get a certain "SB" app working? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post here.

I had it set up and working but lost the list when I put the L preview on my device.

Not exactly what you asked, but adfree (just using default settings) works with certain apps with no issue for me at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Boards.ie app. Really nice first step IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement