Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Finally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Otacon wrote: »
    Boards.ie app. Really nice first step IMO.

Very lacking, too early for release imo, cannot quote and does not go to last unread post. Back using touch

Edit, I see you can quote, just didn't work for me first time. Another issue is that you cannot see who thanked posts. I'm trying to like it, but I'm finding it hard work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

For minimalist puzzle fans who want something fresh, Blek came out recently for Android (Google Play / Amazon)

The Play version wasn't available for my Kindle Fire HD, so I grabbed the Amazon version to use on my phone and kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Very lacking, too early for release imo, cannot quote and does not go to last unread post. Back using touch

Edit, I see you can quote, just didn't work for me first time. Another issue is that you cannot see who thanked posts. I'm trying to like it, but I'm finding it hard work

Didn't even bother installing when I spotted this.
    We will be rolling out a range of new features over the next few months including:
    - Jump to first unread post in a thread

After so long in development, How is this still missing???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'd consider it on of the most important functions of the App!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

It makes it unusable. Open a thread and it takes at least 3 clicks to get to the last unread post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Surprised to find no mention of Wordfeud. Scrabble type game. Play with friends or strangers. Ultimate time waster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone have an older version of the rte player prior to 1.0.34 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Boards.ie app looks great but it's very buggy.

I'm getting double icons for syncing, it won't go to the last page, just reloads the first page and won't let you scroll on, and links to some forums are broken.

That said, when it does get updated, it will be a much better alternative to the touch site.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Heads Up.

Great app giving Andoid L type popup notifications.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Heads Up.

Great app giving Andoid L type popup notifications.
    There's a few heads up results could you put a link to the one you recommend please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Apologies. Its this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

My HTC One m7's battery life is appalling lately. Have Greenify and had Battery Doctor but uninstalled it. Any good battery apps? I have about 25GB of music on it, I wonder if I delete most of it will that improve the battery life or is it irrelevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭jeffk

My HTC One m7's battery life is appalling lately. Have Greenify and had Battery Doctor but uninstalled it. Any good battery apps? I have about 25GB of music on it, I wonder if I delete most of it will that improve the battery life or is it irrelevant?
    LeanData
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eqtic.leandata
    Intelli3G
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.intelli3g
    Auto Pilot Mode
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....autopilotmode
    2G-3G OnOff
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...twork2g3gonoff
    CleverConnectivity
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...erconnectivity
    Setcpu
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.overclocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

No expert, but I'd guess the amount of music is irrelevant.

Most likely it's a rogue app. Have you updated the software or changed any location services settings recently?

I think in most cases like this it comes down to an app or service running in the background that you're not aware of. If you have rooted the phone, check out the Wakelock Detector app, just to see if anything is keeping it from going to sleep properly. Also, think about apps you installed around the time the battery started being an issue, could be that one of them is not behaving.

Also which Greenify?

If you haven't the donation pack then you cant hibernate system apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No expert, but I'd guess the amount of music is irrelevant.

Most likely it's a rogue app. Have you updated the software or changed any location services settings recently?

I think in most cases like this it comes down to an app or service running in the background that you're not aware of. If you have rooted the phone, check out the Wakelock Detector app, just to see if anything is keeping it from going to sleep properly. Also, think about apps you installed around the time the battery started being an issue, could be that one of them is not behaving.

Haven't rooted it. Might be the world cup app alright, it's the only one I can think of.

Thanks both of you, will download those apps.

@Jeff - the free version, yeah it's very limited but better than nothing I suppose.

Haven't rooted it. Might be the world cup app alright, it's the only one I can think of.

Thanks both of you, will download those apps.

@Jeff - the free version, yeah it's very limited but better than nothing I suppose.
    You’re welcome
    I know it’s annoying to have poor battery life, especially when older phones lasted days. A new habit I got into was a top up charge if you can.

Most apps will charge for the full features, at most its around €2(plus most refund if you aren't happy), so even say €10 for a few apps, compared to paying to charge the phone twice or more a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. Can someone recommend a free anti theft app? Something that I can use to remotely disable or wipe the phone if it's stolen. Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. Can someone recommend a free anti theft app? Something that I can use to remotely disable or wipe the phone if it's stolen. Cheers.

Android Device Manager is built in to the phone.

Other popular apps include Lookout & Cerberus

Android Device Manager is built in to the phone.

Other popular apps include Lookout & Cerberus

Thanks Prof. I will stick with Android Device Manager.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Flynx Beta
    Never waste your precious time watching page loads in a browser. Flynx allows you to open and load links in background, from any app, while allowing you to continue using the current app.

Apk Downloader Extension
    This app lets you download apps from the play market without google play services or android market installed. This can be handy if you don't have google play services installed, or if you want to download an app that is not available on your device or in your country. It adds a button to the share menu in your browser when you are on an app page on the play store (see pictures).

This app is completely open source so you can scrutinise the code and build it yourself if you are worried about giving it permissions or entering your password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'm using Avast and Android lost. If your rooted then avast can instal to the root partition so ever after a wipe the app is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

jeffk wrote: »
    Also which Greenify?

If you haven't the donation pack then you cant hibernate system apps

So jeffk,have greenify and believe it has functioned correctly in the past but unable to hibernate apps recently?What's the story with the donation pack?

seligehgit wrote: »
    So jeffk,have greenify and believe it has functioned correctly in the past but unable to hibernate apps recently?What's the story with the donation pack?

Did you try uninstall/reinstall,clear data/cache,check if the module in xposed is working ok(not sure this is a must)

Donation pack adds extra features,one of which being a must is the hibernate system apps

Only new this morning

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/theftie-helps-you-find-your-stolen-device/

If data usage and WiFi is off - can I still wipe my phone + Ext. SD Card using anti-theft software? Can it be wiped via phone signal. I presume not but though I'd ask anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If data usage and WiFi is off - can I still wipe my phone + Ext. SD Card using anti-theft software? Can it be wiped via phone signal. I presume not but though I'd ask anyway.

Some can do it via text message (I know cerberus definitely can)

Hi.

Can anyone recommend a free app that records video when it senses motion.

Cheers.

loklok

Leave messages/pics/Doodles on someones lockscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

What's the latest Top 10 games to pass the time nowadays?
    Not big graphic intensive things like NFS etc, just simple, non-battery-killing games that pass the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Pique wrote: »
    Not big graphic intensive things like NFS etc, just simple, non-battery-killing games that pass the time.

I'm addicted to that don't touch the white tile game, keep shaving .005 seconds off my best time :o

Boom Beach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Some can do it via text message (I know cerberus definitely can)

Cerberus is, by far, one of (if not) the best security apps. If you've got a rooted device, you've got loads more protection.

Check out "Theftie" also. It's a new app and will even remotely backup your photos and data if a threat is triggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Think is a fun one I just discovered,https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.june.think&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dthink+play+store&pcampaignid=APPU_9iK8U9i4GJDA7Aa0toHQCQ

On phone so can't get a proper link, and the ads are pretty annoying on the free version, adfree has fixed that too

For me this is the best email app as it keeps giving you notifications of emails. Other ones I have tried seem to stop after a while (built in, outlook, cloud magic, K9 and yes auto sync is on)

MailDroid
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid&hl=en

MailDroid is an ad-supported Webdav/POP3/IMAP Idle Push mail client written from the ground up and and not based on the stock Android email client.

MailDroid has all the features you could want from a mobile email client and it continues to be built around user feedback. With the ability for IMAP users to sync draft mails, sent mail, deleted mail based on when they are on wifi or mobile as well as pop3 preload capability, MailDroid was built with mobile data in mind from the start. MailDroid also is an email client focusing in on what business users want such as choosing to delete an email locally or from both device and server per email read as well as custom rules to alert and move certain email to folders. Finally, for the power users there is even encryption capability using open PGP and S/MIME. MailDroid will allow you to encrypt and/or sign email using open PGP in the MIME format or Inline format and allow you to encrypt and/or sign an email using S/MIME. There are so many other features that can be found in the app, see a sample below:

Permissions needed for Ads

*Features*
    1. Complete email re-write and not based at all on the standard Android mail client
    2. IMAP Idle Push for all IMAP email servers that support it (including, Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo, Aol, FastMail, GMX and many more)
    3. Save/Download Attachments from email to SD card using ES Explorer, Astro, or any other file explorer. You can also use the built in File Manager.
    4. Settings Support for signature, font size, ring tone, led color, icon selection etc.
    5. Custom Mail Rules (like outlook and thunderbird)
    6. Spell Check
    7. Search your mail online (for IMAP only) or offline for both IMAP and POP
    8. Password Protection
    9. Microsoft Exchange 2003,2007,2010, Office 365
    10. Full WYSIWYG editor
    11. Split screen for tablets
    12. Calendar integration using ICS attachment for IMAP and POP (exchange 2007/2010 support is coming)
    13. Cloud storage integration (dropbox, box.net, google drive)
    14. Customize your inbox styles to your preference
    15. Spam Filter Plugin ==> REQUIRES AN IN-APP PAYMENT
    16. Email Conversation Threaded Mode
    17. Mobile View options
    18. Different notification styles and icons
    19. Identities or Aliases
    20. Backup SMTP Provider capability
    21. open PGP support using PGP Inline or PGP MIME
    22. S/MIME support
    23. Custom themes using the MailDroid Theme Plugin
    24. Much more....

PLEASE NOTE THAT ACTIVESYNC IS NOT SUPPORTED AT THIS TIME!

PLEASE NOTE THAT SPAM SUBSCRIPTIONS DO NOT CARRY OVER TO THE PRO VERSION.

Please email support if you have any questions or see any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

3 on my phone at the moment are:

Blek: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kb.Blek
    Tilt To Live 2: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onemanleft.tilttolive2
    Beyond Gravity: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qwiboo.beyondgravity

TTL2 probably needs a fairly recent phone to run well.

• Advertisement

Backed this project last night, he's shipping them in July whether he meets his goal or not:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wantcardboard-google-cardboard-kits

To be used with Googles Carboard app which is getting great reviews in its early, practically broken state. I kind of got it to work last night with a pillowcase and a piece of cardboard on my head, was a very strange experience and definitely virtual reality, a tour of the Palace of Versailles, cant wait for the proper gear to arrive so you can immerse properly:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.samples.apps.cardboarddemo&hl=en

Cant wait to see what further updates bring aswell, maybe not a must-have app but if you're dying waiting for the Oculus rift like I am it might make the wait more bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭jonski

Looking at previous Samsung business practices it wouldn't be surprising if it aims to make the headset compatible only with its Galaxy devices

Saw that alright, thats a major consumer product though and I favour cheap Chinese phones not €600 samsungs, this is just 20 quids worth of fun before I blow 2-3 grand on an Oculus consumer model and a pc that can run games like Elite on max in it. Although you'd never know with stuff like Cardboard, it could take off in its own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thargor wrote: »
    Backed this project last night, he's shipping them in July whether he meets his goal or not:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wantcardboard-google-cardboard-kits
    Backed it myself just now. Never thought I'd be spending €20 on cardboard today but hey life's full of surprises!

Did you test the Cardboard app on your phone before you backed it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thargor wrote: »
    Did you test the Cardboard app on your phone before you backed it?

Yeah I got a nexus 4 so it's fully compatible.

Think is a fun one I just discovered,https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.june.think&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_medium%3Dorganic%26utm_term%3Dthink+play+store&pcampaignid=APPU_9iK8U9i4GJDA7Aa0toHQCQ

On phone so can't get a proper link, and the ads are pretty annoying on the free version, adfree has fixed that too
    That requires way too many permissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That requires way too many permissions.

Didn't even look at the permissions to be honest, phone identity I'm betting?

• Advertisement

Didn't even look at the permissions to be honest, phone identity I'm betting?

Running apps, browsing history, device id, call originator and destination.

Bit extreme for a game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement