Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Has anyone downloaded Google Earth 1.1 that was released today. I can't find it in the market. Hero 2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Need to break out some Stairway to Heaven but haven't got your guitar?
    SHABAM! :D
    205137.jpg
    Guitar Solo Lite, paid version has electric guitar and other stuff.

Now excuse me: "If I leeeeave here tomorrroooooooow..."
    detailsidcomcodingcavem.png

That's freebird, not stairway! I downloaded one before that showed how to finger chords (he he finger) but ended up playing with it more than the real guitar I bought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

ftm2008 wrote: »
    It was probably mentioned already but must say that gallery3d is v good,, you can sync with your online account so that all your photos are in the cloud not taking up any of your sd space ,, not available on market,, one thing I found is you need to be logged in on the browser so if you clear your cache the photos disappear and you must log in online again,, doesn't seen to recognize my account on the phone

Just downloading this from 4shared now.....

On a different note has anyone installed Norton on their phone? Do you think it slows down everything a little?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

madmoe wrote: »
    Just downloading this from 4shared now.....

On a different note has anyone installed Norton on their phone? Do you think it slows down everything a little?

well once it goes for a scan it should slow everything down :)

I am thinking about removing it.....does not seem to really be many threats for mobile just yet.....or am I wrong guys??

I'm on Froyo 2.2 on the Nexus One and gallery3d seems to be already built into that?? The app I found on 4shared.com won't install??

I am thinking about removing it.....does not seem to really be many threats for mobile just yet.....or am I wrong guys??

I'm on Froyo 2.2 on the Nexus One and gallery3d seems to be already built into that?? The app I found on 4shared.com won't install??

what did you use to install it? what does it say?

I got an APK file for Gallery3d from 4shared but it says application not installed at the end?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

If you are being careful and reviewing what exactly your apps are accessing when they install then there should be no need for any type of virus software.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

yes gallery3d is a inbuilt on nexus one so you shouldn't need too install ,, if you use Picasa and have an online account it should synch with that ,, i have desire so needed to install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Has anyone downloaded Google Earth 1.1 that was released today. I can't find it in the market. Hero 2.1

Its not in the market (and I don't think its supported by the Hero). Go to http://m.google.com/earth on your phone's browser.

I'm on FroYo on the Hero and it won't let me grab it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Must be Gallery3D I have on the ROM I'm using (OpenDesire).

I really don't like the interface at all. Takes time to load... too flashy for the sake of it... what's with the stupid tilt-sensor thing? Adds nothing... seems to stutter back or jump about when you're scrolling and I can't keep visual track of where I am. Would like something much much simpler.

Syncing online would be a huge plus though.. haven't found the option for that yet though. Is it automatic once I setup a Picaso account?

Thanx ftm2008!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Goodshape wrote: »
    Must be Gallery3D I have on the ROM I'm using (OpenDesire).

I really don't like the interface at all. Takes time to load... too flashy for the sake of it... what's with the stupid tilt-sensor thing? Adds nothing... seems to stutter back or jump about when you're scrolling and I can't keep visual track of where I am. Would like something much much simpler.

Syncing online would be a huge plus though.. haven't found the option for that yet though. Is it automatic once I setup a Picaso account?

it is not automatic on stock desire but once setup is quite handy,,
    agree that it is not a great at load but is better than the stock one on desire
    anway to synch online i created an online account ,, you can then synch the albums you want from picasa on pc to the web, (handy also to show holiday pics to friends etc by using invites)
    once all uploaded to web then on phone open browser and login to www.picasaweb.com. once logged in you can open gallery3d and they should start synching to your phone..
    there is a synch in Goolge account in settings but does not work for me but probably does for the nexus

i have all my photo's in albums for the last 4yrs on and none on my sd card

note: when you clear you internet cache it clears your login to picasa and your photos in gallery3d disappear

I got an APK file for Gallery3d from 4shared but it says application not installed at the end?

maybe its not compatible or a corrupted file...ur call is as good as mine...had a few of them...just binged it found a new apk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Mr E wrote: »
    Its not in the market (and I don't think its supported by the Hero). Go to http://m.google.com/earth on your phone's browser.

I'm on FroYo on the Hero and it won't let me grab it.

Glad you can finally move Google Earth to the SD Card, it's huge at 20MB.

• Advertisement

I have a Nexus One so from what the guys says above I already have it....

ftm2008 wrote: »
    it is not automatic on stock desire but once setup is quite handy,,
    agree that it is not a great at load but is better than the stock one on desire
    anway to synch online i created an online account ,, you can then synch the albums you want from picasa on pc to the web, (handy also to show holiday pics to friends etc by using invites)
    once all uploaded to web then on phone open browser and login to www.picasaweb.com. once logged in you can open gallery3d and they should start synching to your phone..
    there is a synch in Goolge account in settings but does not work for me but probably does for the nexus

I have a nexus one and a load of photos on it. how do I get them onto picasa?

Do I need to upload them all via USB?

They should sync automatically....well as many as can fit up there on Picasa due to space limitations!

Anyone find their Gmail sluggish sometimes? Especially with deleting emails etc.? On Froyo 2.2 here....

They should sync automatically....well as many as can fit up there on Picasa due to space limitations!

Anyone find their Gmail sluggish sometimes? Especially with deleting emails etc.? On Froyo 2.2 here....

They aren't. I've downloaded the Picasa 3 software and are transferring them all there from my phone via USB. Will then sync online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know if you need to install Flash 10.1 or did it already come included with Froyo? Youtube videos seem to play fine on my desire?

Also found this new app for offline maps. Havent given it a go yet but thinking I might change because it seems whoever is developing Mapdroyd just gave up 2 months ago and havent improved it at all since then?

• Advertisement

Flash is a separate download but you need Froyo (2.2) to install it I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Flash is a separate download but you need Froyo (2.2) to install it I think....

For us Nexus One users, yes, but as far as I know HTC's version of FroYo came with Flash 10.1 pre-installed.

For us Nexus One users, yes, but as far as I know HTC's version of FroYo came with Flash 10.1 pre-installed.

Ah righty.....cool! Can't wait for Gingerbread Ample Free ...? And heard Honeycomb is after that :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Also found this new app for offline maps. Havent given it a go yet but thinking I might change because it seems whoever is developing Mapdroyd just gave up 2 months ago and havent improved it at all since then?
    Having a look at a few offline map apps (mapps?) myself, trying these ones:
    BigPlanet: http://code.google.com/p/android-map/
    OrukMaps: http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html

I think both cache Google map tiles which is cool, but I think your SD card will get full pretty soon if you get all the different levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Anyone tried this? http://preyproject.com/

Free open source tracker for stolen laptops and phones ect. There's an android version on the market.
    Not a lot of info on google about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

I use andnav2 as satnav, free, opensource and allows offline maps. I have yet to test it for navigation, but it locks on satellites no prob at all.

is there an app that could download all maps and POI's and etc from googles map so you wouldnt need to data connection while using google maps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

is there an app that could download all maps and POI's and etc from googles map so you wouldnt need to data connection while using google maps?

Brut Google Maps is an appmod that caches google maps to SD card and also does navigation.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=630887

It can be installed alongside Google Maps and doesn't need root.

I have it on my desire, but haven't been given cause to use it yet.

Just installed Brut Google Maps but can't see any difference EasyBoy1974?? Am I missing something?? Running Froyo on N1.

Just installed Brut Google Maps but can't see any difference EasyBoy1974?? Am I missing something?? Running Froyo on N1.

have you got the phone rooted? its meant for rooted phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

have you got the phone rooted? its meant for rooted phones

One of the bullet point features is

•installable on non-rooted devices

I haven't actually tried it despite having it installed on my rooted desire. Think you have to launch the "brut" version of navigation or maps. Beyond that i've no clue about it really.

No mate. Not rooted. Still installed though. Noticed on XDA it said for rooted and non rooted phones?

One of the bullet point features is

•installable on non-rooted devices

I haven't actually tried it despite having it installed on my rooted desire. Think you have to launch the "brut" version of navigation or maps. Beyond that i've no clue about it really.

sorry my eye cought this ;D
    Uninstallation of original maps:

You must have rooted device to do it:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Anyone being able to get Google Voice working outside of US. I'm looking for an alternative to Skype seen as they never intend to release an Android app.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

squire23 wrote: »
    Anyone being able to get Google Voice working outside of US. I'm looking for an alternative to Skype seen as they never intend to release an Android app.

Nimbuzz lets you use Skype on Android.

Also Skype have local numbers (http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/skype-to-go-number) so you can just ring the local number. That way you're paying the cost of a local call + the Skype fee. It's more than just using pur VoIP but you can use any phone easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

i have quit it on my galaxy would i be better getting advance task killer ? im only new to android any other recommendations ?

also whats the name of the widget for the clock thats on the desire home screen i want it for my galaxy.. also is there a widget that shows my phone , sd memory ...

shop savvy anyone use it , i have tried it on a few things but it brings up other products when i scan rather than findin the product i have , when it works its very good

I use "TaskPanel X" (TaskPanel is the old version, get the X one) for app killing, no ads on it and free.

Nimbuzz lets you use Skype on Android.

Also Skype have local numbers (http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/skype-to-go-number) so you can just ring the local number. That way you're paying the cost of a local call + the Skype fee. It's more than just using pur VoIP but you can use any phone easily.
    I've never managed to get Nimbuzz working and to be honest have never been impressed with it. Plus the amount of memory it uses is absolutely ridiculous. I have to force close it everytime after I try to use it.

Are we sure Skype will not have a full blown app for Android? I am still holding out hope....

• Advertisement

Are we sure Skype will not have a full blown app for Android? I am still holding out hope....
    Still is the keyword there - it's continually being pushed back. Google Voice will shortly overtake it unless it gets it's act together

Hopefully the developments with Google Voice will spur the fookers on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Firefox have released a beta browser for android, promises new technology that boost browsing performance etc etc.

Available from their mobile website, will have a nosey when i get home.

Syncs with firefox browsers on pcs etc.

Still personally hoping for a chrome deployment as i dont use firefox, but its good news for android browsing, cause top be honest after using most of the big name ones like dolphin and skyfire, they are seriously ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

TheDoc wrote: »
    Firefox have released a beta browser for android, promises new technology that boost browsing performance etc etc.

Available from their mobile website, will have a nosey when i get home.

Syncs with firefox browsers on pcs etc.

Still personally hoping for a chrome deployment as i dont use firefox, but its good news for android browsing, cause top be honest after using most of the big name ones like dolphin and skyfire, they are seriously ****e

I tried the Fenec alpha at the weekend & it is hugely power hungry. Would not work on Hero 2.1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

TheDoc wrote: »

What browsers do people use? Dolphin is going dead slow for me these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

What browsers do people use? Dolphin is going dead slow for me these days.

Stock is the best for use imo, I use firefox and xmarks to sync my bookmarks between work and home etc, I dont need to sync them with my phone but I am thinking of going chrome for the ability to sync with my sgs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

opera dunno why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Call Confirm - Handy app that asks you to confirm if you want to dial a number, real handy if you have a habit of accidental dialling contacts in your phone book (like me :o).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Tried the fennec alpha myself over the weekend and it killed my Desire. Was too slow and pages did not load up as fast as the default browser.
    Will wait till its got its performance issues ironed out and slims down. No browser should weigh over 30megs!

Downloading Fennec now for the N1....hopefully it good!

Vlingo is a good voice recognition app if you can't get the google one yet on 2.1. :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement