Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My one doesn't seem to be there anymore, its a mayato or some other probably made up brand, I chose it originally because it looked like a Playstation dual shock. Just pick one with good reviews (maybe good Amazon reviews), they probably all have the same guts in them anyway. your second link looks very nice, might grab one myself as a Christmas present for someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

They have loads of these on Amazon, some you use with a dual shock and some have their own controller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=is_box_electronics?k=gameklip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

XON Episode 2 @ €1.20 is now available.

For those who enjoyed episode 1. Don't know when it came available my nexus 7 (2012) was out of order and only got it fixed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Google news and weather got a long over due update:

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-news-weather-app-gets-major-overhaul

Weird one for me because even though its on CM it doesn't show up in my installed apps. And wasn't showing up in a search on play either. So i followed the link on the android central article and updated from there. Still not showing up as installed on play but anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Patww79 wrote: »
    I just get a massage on the Play Store to say it's not available in this country. I was going to go the APK route, but I assume if it's not available in Ireland then it won't have any relevant information for me.

I found the apk on Xda and installed it, it has Ireland news as the first tab. Nice upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Patww79 wrote: »
    Must give it a go so. Have you a link to the apk? XDA is a maze.

Out and about now, I just googled 'Google news weather apk' and filtered by posted in last day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Admittedly some of these games have been free on amazon faotd but the sega humble bundle is well worth it. pay what you want for
    super monkey 2
    sonic cd
    crazy taxi
    sonic and sega all stars racing
    virtua tennis challenge
    chuchu rocket
    sonic 4 episode 1
    sonic 4 episode 2

link here
    https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I didn't want to but I had to delete cm browser. It was killing my battery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mars Bar wrote: »

Same, back to chrome.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Me too. Pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Strange. It's not showing up in my battery stats at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Just checked there and CM browser has used 7% of my battery in 3.5 hours uptime.
    Worst thing is that it was only in use for about 60 seconds by me and I always click on quit when I'm finished with it, I don't just back out of it.

I think I may have to return to Chrome also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

For the CM Browser defectors....have a look at Opera. I tried lots, including CM recently, and I just think the Opera is the best of the browsers out there. I was a big user of Chrome, but what broke the deal for me was when they updated it a few months ago and changed the way bookmarks were presented. I liked it when they showed up in a grid of little square icons, then they changed it so they show up in a list. Opera bookmarks look like Chrome used to, so it's my first choice atm. It's fairly lightweight on RAM, memory space and battery compared to Chrome and other options that are laden with extra functions. Another good lightweight option, that's visually based on Chrome, is Lightning Browser. Worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For the CM Browser defectors....have a look at Opera. I tried lots, including CM recently, and I just think the Opera is the best of the browsers out there. I was a big user of Chrome, but what broke the deal for me was when they updated it a few months ago and changed the way bookmarks were presented. I liked it when they showed up in a grid of little square icons, then they changed it so they show up in a list. Opera bookmarks look like Chrome used to, so it's my first choice atm. It's fairly lightweight on RAM, memory space and battery compared to Chrome and other options that are laden with extra functions. Another good lightweight option, that's visually based on Chrome, is Lightning Browser. Worth a look.

My bookmarks still appear as squares in a grid on Chrome - were you using the Beta app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anybody have an alternative to tunein radio? No interest in it anymore since the update.

54kroc wrote: »
    Anybody have an alternative to tunein radio? No interest in it anymore since the update.
    I ended up ditching tune in pro yesterday. Im using radio fm now and it's a breath of fresh air. Way less buffering, actually almost in sync with the radio station and louder volume. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radio.fmradio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I'm currently using BS player to play videos on my nexus. Volume seems terrible on it. It won't go past 50% which is pretty bad when the main place you ue it is on a plane. This is on a nexus 5 and 10. Will buying pro get around this or is there an alternative that plays as many formats? I found VLC surprisingly lacking for this.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I'm currently using BS player to play videos on my nexus. Volume seems terrible on it. It won't go past 50% which is pretty bad when the main place you ue it is on a plane. This is on a nexus 5 and 10. Will buying pro get around this or is there an alternative that plays as many formats? I found VLC surprisingly lacking for this.
    It's hard to beat MX player for playback of the majority of video files. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

It's hard to beat MX player for playback of the majority of video files. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

Do I need to download all the codecs for it that show up when you do a search for it as well?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    My bookmarks still appear as squares in a grid on Chrome - were you using the Beta app?

The most visited appeared like that, but they moved around depending on what I was spending time on. The bookmarks were in a list.

Do I need to download all the codecs for it that show up when you do a search for it as well?
    No it will direct you to download these if you try to play a format that isn't covered in the stock MX player.

No it will direct you to download these if you try to play a format that isn't covered in the stock MX player.

Just gave it a shot and I have 3 films on my phone and it couldn't play 2 of them. Just in and then flashed out of them straight away. BS player could play them alright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Have you completely searched the settings in that app? MX Player had the same problem on my phone until I found an "Audio Boost" option in the settings, ticked the box and now I can crank it up painfully loud.

You must have been very unlucky or using weird files to only get a 33% success rate btw, MX Player has never let me down and is instant smooth playback for every file I throw at it, HD or SD, reboot the phone after installing it or try turning on/off the hardware/software decoders in Settings under Decoder.

Just gave it a shot and I have 3 films on my phone and it couldn't play 2 of them. Just in and then flashed out of them straight away. BS player could play them alright though.
    Try to download the codecs and see how you go. I've honestly never had a problem.

Thargor wrote: »
    Have you completely searched the settings in that app? MX Player had the same problem on my phone until I found an "Audio Boost" option in the settings, ticked the box and now I can crank it up painfully loud.

You must have been very unlucky or using weird files to only get a 33% success rate btw, MX Player has never let me down and is instant smooth playback for every file I throw at it, HD or SD, reboot the phone after installing it or try turning on/off the hardware/software decoders in Settings under Decoder.

Grand turning on the local s/w decoder seemed to have sorted it thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Grand turning on the local s/w decoder seemed to have sorted it thanks.

That just means your phone can't play the selected file with H/w decoding.
    S/w will normally play 99% of files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any app that will allow me get around listening to BBC 5 live for a match on the radio?

Hold doesn't work with Tune in for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

dahat wrote: »
    Any app that will allow me get around listening to BBC 5 live for a match on the radio?

I listen to the games on Talk Sport on Tune In. There seems to be no regional restrictions with their stream.

Talksport is blocked on the weekends when BBC 5 isn't. But BBC 5 is blocked for midweek games and Talksport isn't!!

Totally barmy in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dahat wrote: »

Find an apk of bbc radio app and do the necessary to make it work?

I haven't tried it now myself but it seems like it should work.

Find an apk of bbc radio app and do the necessary to make it work?

I haven't tried it now myself but it seems like it should work.

This sounds promising, will try this tmrw and see how it goes when needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Best Torrent Client?

atorrent
    utorrent
    flud
    vuze
    torrentex

All the same?

T Torrent pro, I find it flawless, never had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Best Torrent Client?

atorrent
    utorrent
    flud
    vuze
    torrentex

All the same?

I like kickass torrents app, its not in the playstore you have to download it from their site, I like it because it has a torrent search engine built into the app so you can search and download your torrents all in the one App.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I prefer utorrent to the rest. But I think a lot of the time it's what you are used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Casshern88 wrote: »
    I like kickass torrents app, its not in the playstore you have to download it from their site
    Link? I searched and can't find it.

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Link? I searched and can't find it.

Ben

if you go to kick ass torrent on your mobile device you'll be promoted that there is a app available to download via pop up.

but I actually take back my earlier statement I downloaded T Torrent yesterday and after spending some time with it on two separate devices i must say its by far best torrent App I've used. It also has the built i search function and you can choose which sites it pulls the search results from, Would be nice if you could see comments too but thats only flaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Llama or tasker? Only ever used llama.

Thoughts please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Twilight

Like Flux on windows. Dims the Blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Twilight

Like Flux on windows. Dims the Blue.

Been wondering if something like this exists for my phone.. my stinging tired eyes thank you :)

• Advertisement

gar wrote: »
    Llama or tasker? Only ever used llama.

Thoughts please

Have a look at AutomateIT

haven't used any of the others, but AutomateIT is simple enough to use and from what I can see it does most things well.

Have a look at AutomateIT

haven't used any of the others, but AutomateIT is simple enough to use and from what I can see it does most things well.

personally i can think of one good use for this App, I see SMS with specific text can activate an action with this app, would be pretty handy if you lost your phone in your house or somewhere and it was on silent, set it up so an SMS with the text loud puts in on max volume.

Automatit is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. Does anyone know of a (preferably open-source) audio player that marks (that is greys out) listened to audio files? I use MX at the moment but would like something lighter. Ta.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement