Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Automate it is brilliant. It eats the battery a little more though but imo totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anybody have a good app to download music? The simple mp3 one I got isn't great. Just all covers of every song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Have a look at AutomateIT

haven't used any of the others, but AutomateIT is simple enough to use and from what I can see it does most things well.

From reading the reviews it seems it doesn't do enabling and disabling screen lock very well, but neither does Llama really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. Does anyone know of a (preferably open-source) audio player that marks (that is greys out) listened to audio files? I use MX at the moment but would like something lighter. Ta.

With Rocket Player you can start a live playlist (auto-updating) or songs with a play count of 0, similar idea

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

With Rocket Player you can start a live playlist (auto-updating) or songs with a play count of 0, similar idea

Hi DS. I just want a simple no frills player that greys out fully played audio files (podcasts really) so I can see which ones are yet to listen to.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hi DS. I just want a simple no frills player that greys out fully played audio files (podcasts really) so I can see which ones are yet to listen to.

That's where my knowledge ends, I have no experience with Podcasts unfortunately. My solution may be a backwards way to achieve this, but I'm sure there's a straight up way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Beyond Pod does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Beyond Pod does this.

I download podcasts to my PC and then convert them to .ogg (much smaller file size) and then copy the best ones to my phone so I just need an ordinary player. I find downloading podcasts from apps to be very slow.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I download podcasts to my PC and then convert them to .ogg (much smaller file size) and then copy the best ones to my phone so I just need an ordinary player. I find downloading podcasts from apps to be very slow.

Slower than downloading them on to your pc then converting them and then transferring them to your phone?

Pocketcasts is pretty good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Podcast Addict works for me - downloads are fast and if space is a concern you can stream too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I noticed the below site from another thread on this forum. I think it's ok to mention it here, I've checked the play link for all the apps I've seen on it and they were all free so I don't think it's a piracy site.

It has the apk for lots of apps that we can't access from the Irish play store,BBC i player and other US TV network apps are there. I'm sure other apps that are only available to certain countries are there too.
    http://www.apkcraft.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Beyond Pod does this.

+1 for BeyondPod. Find it very good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

dulpit wrote: »
    Podcast Addict works for me - downloads are fast and if space is a concern you can stream too.

and a +1 for podcast addict. works really well for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

App to download music??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Try Zedge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Play music with subscription lets you save to the device, Spotify Premium does as well and if you are on Vodafone you can get Spotify Premium cheaper.

In relation to podcast apps. I'm using Antenna pod and find it excellent, the queue format really helps me keep track of what I have or have not listened to yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New email client Boxer (well regarded on iOS, just launched on Android)

Use code AndroidPolice (case sensitive, enter after running app) to get free pro upgrade, worth €9.99.

The code won't work for long. :)

I don't think you need the code to get pro yourself. It just gives you 5 gifts of the pro version for friends I think.

• Advertisement

Pro version gives you multiple account support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mr E wrote: »
    New email client Boxer (well regarded on iOS, just launched on Android)

Use code AndroidPolice (case sensitive, enter after running app) to get free pro upgrade, worth €9.99.

The code won't work for long. :)

Upgraded it Mr E,what's so good about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

seligehgit wrote: »
    Upgraded it Mr E,what's so good about it?

I think it's the best client recommended on here yet, for multiple accounts anyway.

Yeah seems good. I'll stick with it for a while and see if I like it.

The one thing I don't like is no distinction in the inbox between read and unread messages (in gmail, unread messages are in bold). I can use the "Unread" filter on the side panel, but that's an inconvenience and an extra unnecessary step.

Edit: I just noticed the blue dot. That'll work, but I'd prefer bold and normal text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Anyone get push working with Hotmail?
    I can only seem to get it to work with Gmail!

On the Boxer app btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone get push working with Hotmail?
    I can only seem to get it to work with Gmail!

On the Boxer app btw :)

Same here, only my Gmail account uses push on Boxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Same here, only my Gmail account uses push on Boxer.

Thanks for that.
    Not just me then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Worth getting that boxer app? I only use gmail so prob not much use for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Keith186 wrote: »
    Worth getting that boxer app? I only use gmail so prob not much use for me?

It's only really for multiple pop or imap emails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Not just me then :)

It's a lovely looking app but that might rule it out for me.

Can I make it use the Social/Promotions/Updates that GMail uses to filter my emails, so I only see "real people"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

I've an outlook eamil account *********@outlook.ie

I can't for the life of me get this set up with Boxer. Incoming (IMAP) Server settings are fine and go through no problem but when I try to set up Outgoing (SMTP) Server I keep getting the message in the attcahed screenshot?

These are the setting I'm using:

<LI class=listItem>Outgoing (SMTP) Server
    • Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
    • Port: 587
    • Authentication: Yes
    • Encrypted Connection: TLS
    I've tried smtp-mail.outlook.ie also but no luck.
    Anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement

steve_r wrote: »
    It's a lovely looking app but that might rule it out for me.

Can I make it use the Social/Promotions/Updates that GMail uses to filter my emails, so I only see "real people"?

At a first glance I don't think so. That feature is so handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

G1032 wrote: »

I can't for the life of me get this set up with Boxer. Incoming (IMAP) Server settings are fine and go through no problem but when I try to set up Outgoing (SMTP) Server I keep getting the message in the attcahed screenshot?

Anyone got any ideas?

this may be unrelated....

but I see some people on the google play store reviews saying that the pro version isnt really pro you have to pay a further 9 dollars or something if you want the emal app to be able to access microsoft exchange.

So if your outlook email is a Microsoft Exchange account (if its a work email address it may well be, its mostly business who use Microsoft Exchange accounts) you may have to pay boxer more to be able to use it. Apparently they have to pay Microsoft a certain amount to be able to provide services for exchange accounts so therefore haveing to charge you.

Casshern88 wrote: »
    this may be unrelated....

but I see some people on the google play store reviews saying that the pro version isnt really pro you have to pay a further 9 dollars or something if you want the emal app to be able to access microsoft exchange.

So if your outlook email is a Microsoft Exchange account (if its a work email address it may well be, its mostly business who use Microsoft Exchange accounts) you may have to pay boxer more to be able to use it. Apparently they have to pay Microsoft a certain amount to be able to provide services for exchange accounts so therefore haveing to charge you.

Thanks for the reply but I don't think that's the issue. It's just a regular webmail account with nothing to do with work!!
    Don't read work mails on my own time!!!!

No push on exchange is a bit of a balls, it's a pity as the app is absolutely lovely to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

54kroc wrote: »
    No push on exchange is a bit of a balls, it's a pity as the app is absolutely lovely to use.

Had a look at it and some of the buttons didn't seem to fit right on my screen, things look a bit skewed and misaligned.

Anyway, I'll be sticking to Blue Mail for now. Tried loads, and I think it's the best on balance between looks and function. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trtf.blue

G1032 wrote: »

Anyone got any ideas?
    Well finally got this sorted. Doh! switched security to starttls and it's working now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What do people think of the new chrome update?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Where's the bloody refresh button gone? :( Is there some sort of swipe gesture or something?
    Pressing two buttons is tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I like it but I'm missing the refresh button as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You press menu and then the refresh is there.

edit: I re-read your post and you said pressing two buttons is tedious. Which it really is. Don't know what google were thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

It's still there on the tablet version, why get rid of it on the phone version?
    I sent a feedback message, probably not worth it but if enough people asked they might bring it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Most people are complaining about it's absence on the the play store reviews. I just uninstalled the update and went back to the previous version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Most people are complaining about it's absence on the the play store reviews. I just uninstalled the update and went back to the previous version.

Thanks, I'm such a dope, forgot I could uninstall the update, have my refresh button back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Had to uninstall the update to Chrome. Lack of a refresh button is dumb. I've emailed them also to request it's return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Also, in the new Chrome is there a way to make your landing page the 'Bookmarks' page. I had it like this pre-update but now it always goes to the recent tabs which I don't want. Failing that, is there a way to stop it keeping the recent tabs there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

Does anyone know of an app which automatically deletes your photos and videos from your phone/SD card storage once they have been sync'd up to Dropbox?

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone know of an app which automatically deletes your photos and videos from your phone/SD card storage once they have been sync'd up to Dropbox?

I don't use Dropbox but I'm assuming Dropsync will do this for you.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ttxapps.dropsync
    You might need the pro version but I'd say the app can be configured to do what you're looking for

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement