Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Patww79 wrote: »
    The new Hangouts is hideous.

I think the tabs are much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think the tabs are much better

Yeah, I actually think its an improvement over the original.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Dont know where the best place to put this but I'm getting really annoyed with the facebook app. Not too sure if it's the beta app I'm WAS using or if it's gone live on the regular app but is there a way to stop the Facebook app from opening links within the app itself. I'm getting incredibly tired of the app crashing as it tries to load a link i clicked (and wanted to open in my browser) and then crashes.
    Anyone else suffering from this?

i wouldn't think so, someone else might know better but it sounds as if they changed the code in the app, basically, before it would've used a chooser to show you a list of installed browsers to handle the link, now it uses a webview to display it within the app itself

try looking for the old apk, should be easy enough got

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to do this using a combo of Pushbullet and IFTTT. I have a few reminders set on the phone that get pushed to all my devices on certain dates (mainly reminders to pay bills!).

If I get a chance I'll have a look.

thank you for the suggestion Im going to give a go with the 2 apps and see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Couple I had a mess around with today:

Gravity Screen - Makes your phone display automatically turn on if the phone is picked up and turn off if it's past a certain angle (in your pocket) or put down on a flat surface.

Zooper Widget - Neat little app for making customised widgets, plenty of ones available to download from the app too.

Bring! - Easy to make shopping lists, UI similar to windows app tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Pique

PSA. If an app works the way you like it, open it in the Play Store under 'My Apps', then click the 3 dots in the top right corner and uncheck the Auto-Update checkbox.

Stops incessant updates (although you will still get notifications that updates are available).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Pique wrote: »
    PSA. If an app works the way you like it, open it in the Play Store under 'My Apps', then click the 3 dots in the top right corner and uncheck the Auto-Update checkbox.

Stops incessant updates (although you will still get notifications that updates are available).

you can turn auto update off in the settings, instead of doing it for each app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Snapchat acting weird for anyone? Taking ages for a snap to load as in i have to have the screen presses for 10 seconds and then the app may crash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Android Device Manager, Cerberus, Lookout, Theftie if you're rooted

Cerberus is probably the best, a combination is no harm, and its cheaper than a new phone

Prey is also very popular:

https://preyproject.com/download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers are the best Android games Ive played in years, Frontiers was part of the recent Humble Bundle but its well worth playing the first one aswell, I was up to 3am this morning trying to 3-Star a level, the RPG elements they added are brilliant.

http://www.kingdomrush.com/

EDIT: You can play them for free in flash on Kongregate aswell, if you like Tower Defense you'll love these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Goat Simulator is on Play Store now. Its not letting me link to it for some reason, but make sure its the Coffee Stain Studio version.

Decent port and a good bit of fun so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Pique wrote: »

You can also stop those notifications by going into Settings/Apps/Google Play Store.

There is a "show notifications" check box now, since Jelly Bean (4.1).....

You can enable or disable notifications on a per App basis, for most Apps, including Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Slower than downloading them on to your pc then converting them and then transferring them to your phone?

Pocketcasts is pretty good imo.

Actually I've found a better way - AntennaPod, great open-source podcast app. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Goat Simulator is on Play Store now. Its not letting me link to it for some reason, but make sure its the Coffee Stain Studio version.

daytob wrote: »

It's worth it for this line in the game description:

Disclaimer: Goat Simulator is a completely stupid game and, to be honest, you should probably spend your money on something else, such as a hula hoop, a pile of bricks, or maybe pool your money together with your friends and buy a real goat.

In fairness it's completely daft but great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Goat Simulator is on Play Store now. Its not letting me link to it for some reason , but make sure its the Coffee Stain Studio version.

The share app feature seems to have disappeared. anyone else the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its right underneath the reviews, easily missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

ldr wrote:
    The idea is if I receive a notification (hangouts, email...) that the notification would forward to another mobile phone either by Bluetooth or any other type of connection.

Tasker with the Autoremote and autonotification plugins can do this but it involves a bit of a learning curve to get up and running. It will try bluetooth and wifi for message sending ams failing those uses Google Cloud messaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys I'm looking for an app that changes the colour of your screen so reading in the dark is not as hard on your eyes. It was mentioned here a while ago but I can't seem to find it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Twilight! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Twilight! :)

That s the one thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Guys I'm looking for an app that changes the colour of your screen so reading in the dark is not as hard on your eyes. It was mentioned here a while ago but I can't seem to find it :(

I've been using this one called "Screen Filter" for a long time.
    alot simpler, just what % do you want your screen dimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

(Probably common knowledge) Any of the screen filter apps like Twilight on Android need to be paused or disabled to sideload apps, otherwise the install button is greyed out and unusable. Learnt from bitter experience after an hour of frustration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

samhail wrote: »
    I've been using this one called "Screen Filter" for a long time.
    alot simpler, just what % do you want your screen dimmer.
    Not the same + Twilight aint tricky.

Humble Bundle PC and Android 11 is out.

Thomas was alone
    Bridge Constructor Playground
    Cubemen
    Cubemen 2
    Blackwell 1, 2 and 3
    Small World 2 and Royal Bonus DLC
    with more games coming soon.

Currently for minimum $5.02 but seems to be rising more rapidly than usual

Pay $11 or more and get
    Surgeon Simulator
    Anomaly Defenders.

https://www.humblebundle.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know a good music app. I have got a new phone and I was previously a Samsung Note II user and miss their default music app as you could view your music in folders stored on phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Anyone know a good music app. I have got a new phone and I was previously a Samsung Note II user and miss their default music app as you could view your music in folders stored on phone.

Poweramp is what I've used for ages, and one of the first I always install on any new phone.

You can try it out for free;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Mortplayer let's you sort music by folders.
    Google play Music is pretty good too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Lads, i switched to Hangouts a couple of months ago, i like the functionality of unifying sms' with hangout chats for the same person, hate the new update though, buggy, slow, looks kinda crap, how would i go about rolling back to a version just before the major change to this green monstrosity?

EDIT: actually got it in this http://www.walterdevos.be/downgrade-hangouts-to-get-swiping-feature-back, my searches where showing up stuff from when talk first became hangouts ages ago.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

SuprSi wrote: »
    Poweramp is what I've used for ages, and one of the first I always install on any new phone.

You can try it out for free;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer&hl=en

+ 1 on Poweramp

Shuttle+ is another good player and the paid version has support for chromecast if you have one.

There is also a free version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

+1 Poweramp Pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Spotify premium here, 9.99 p.m, but considering I used to spend up to 4 times that per week on CDs at one point! I think it's great value, for no ads, and the ability to create unlimited playlists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Spotify premium here, 9.99 p.m, but considering I used to spend up to 4 times that per week on CDs at one point! I think it's great value, for no ads, and the ability to create unlimited playlists

Have Spotify Premium as part of my Vodafone package and also have a Google Play music subscription. Gotta say the playlists on Spotify are far more reaching then Play, however the Chromecast compatibility is keeping Play on my radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Some suggestions in this thread; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88922420

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Double Twist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Threes is Amazon's free app of the day. It's a fantastic game and needs to be on your phones and tablets.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Amazon Free Apps and Games (until September 27th)

Sonic 4 Episode II
    Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden (Full)
    Another World
    Mahjong Artifacts®
    Riptide GP2
    Quell Memento
    Threes!
    Swype Keyboard
    OfficeSuite Professional 7
    SketchBook Pro
    Paper Camera
    City Maps 2Go Pro – Offline Map and Travel Guide
    Earth & Moon in HD Gyro 3D PRO
    Genius Scan+
    Knots 3D
    Merriam-Webster’s Third New International, Unabridged for Android
    mSecure
    My Diet Coach – Pro
    Perfectly Clear
    PrinterShare Mobile Print
    Relax Melodies Premium: A White Noise Ambience For Sleep, Meditation & Yoga
    Schedule Planner PRO
    Sworkit PRO
    MetaMoJi Note (Kindle Fire Edition)
    Air Harp (Kindle Tablet Edition)
    Heroes of Steel RPG Elite

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

^ That's a great share, thanks.

Anything jumping out at people? I think Threes and OfficeSuite are very good.

Never been able to get into Sonic games on touchscreen, although they look great. Finished with NBA Jam and Stickman golf so looking for a game of that ilk to get stuck into!

I love perfectly clear and mSecure. Can not rate them highly enough. got them when they were on it previously and installed mSecure the first time it was on, perfectly clear is amazing on my 1+1:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hey all,

Just to say - thanks to everyone who has posted excellent app suggestions, this thread has been such a resource. Alas it is time for me to leave this thread, I've gone to the dark side (aka apple). It was fun while it lasted though!

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just to say - thanks to everyone who has posted excellent app suggestions, this thread has been such a resource. Alas it is time for me to leave this thread, I've gone to the dark side (aka apple). It was fun while it lasted though!

Sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dulpit wrote:

You'll be back....they always come back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Any apps better then dropbox(currently have 3.6gb free storage) for backing up my pics and vids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Nolars wrote: »
    Any apps better then dropbox(currently have 3.6gb free storage) for backing up my pics and vids?

google drive or box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nolars wrote:

I just let Google Plus/Photos do it automatically

mega
    onedrive
    copy to name just a few.
    you can store your videos on your google drive if you wanted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement