Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just to say - thanks to everyone who has posted excellent app suggestions, this thread has been such a resource. Alas it is time for me to leave this thread, I've gone to the dark side (aka apple). It was fun while it lasted though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just to say - thanks to everyone who has posted excellent app suggestions, this thread has been such a resource. Alas it is time for me to leave this thread, I've gone to the dark side (aka apple). It was fun while it lasted though!

Well at least with the new bending Iphone 6 you'll be able to see what's coming around the corner next :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Mr E wrote: »
    Amazon Free Apps and Games (until September 27th)

Sonic 4 Episode II
    Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden (Full)
    Another World
    Mahjong Artifacts®
    Riptide GP2
    Quell Memento
    Threes!
    Swype Keyboard
    OfficeSuite Professional 7
    SketchBook Pro
    Paper Camera
    City Maps 2Go Pro – Offline Map and Travel Guide
    Earth & Moon in HD Gyro 3D PRO
    Genius Scan+
    Knots 3D
    Merriam-Webster’s Third New International, Unabridged for Android
    mSecure
    My Diet Coach – Pro
    Perfectly Clear
    PrinterShare Mobile Print
    Relax Melodies Premium: A White Noise Ambience For Sleep, Meditation & Yoga
    Schedule Planner PRO
    Sworkit PRO
    MetaMoJi Note (Kindle Fire Edition)
    Air Harp (Kindle Tablet Edition)
    Heroes of Steel RPG Elite

Link

Riptide for starters anyway!

I take it this Amazon app is A-ok!? as I got about 5 security warnings when installing it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Apt username so ;)

Ha yeah, it's more I'm wary of all around me though, rather than I'm a dodgy geezer ... or is? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

can anyone recommend any games with gamepad support? (preferably free)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Yes there's an app for that: http://goo.gl/FMtjKf

ByY2G75IQAAM-7N.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Nolars wrote: »
    Any apps better then dropbox(currently have 3.6gb free storage) for backing up my pics and vids?

Onedrive will give you 30GB if you enable auto backup of your photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anybody got recommendations for a good poker app that wont destroy your battery. Have WSOP but it kills my battery plus the constant updates are a pain. Wont let me play unless I update and sometimes it wont update via Amazon appstore. Getting a real pain.
    Tried dragonplay but didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Slunk wrote: »
    Anybody got recommendations for a good poker app that wont destroy your battery. Have WSOP but it kills my battery plus the constant updates are a pain. Wont let me play unless I update and sometimes it wont update via Amazon appstore. Getting a real pain.

I use PokerStars and find it fine on battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Slunk wrote: »

If you want to be able to play real money poker I suggest Switch Poker https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.switchpoker.playmoney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Threes is Amazon's free app of the day. It's a fantastic game and needs to be on your phones and tablets.

I hate you. I'm addicted to this game now!

According to the police of droids ;) Nokias map service here has been outed for android. I am unsure if I can post links or not. a quick google will help ya ;)

daytob wrote: »
    According to the police of droids ;) Nokias map service here has been outed for android. I am unsure if I can post links or not. a quick google will help ya ;)

Nothing offside about this article IMHO - http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/29/nokias-here-maps-for-android-beta-apk-leaked-works-fine-on-non-samsung-hardware/

Might be useful when roaming in Europe to have the country data downloaded onto your OPO, after all we do have 64GB to use up :D

I'll wait and see if a full working version for generic Android devices is released. ATM it seems Nokia are only going to make it available to Samsung devices but I'm sure some of our friends over on XDA will soon sort that out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I find OsmAnd pretty decent considering it is free.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I hate you. I'm addicted to this game now!

I grabbed Threes while it was free too. Didn't think I'd like it, I'm not a fan of numbers or number games in general. But it's got that 'one more go!' appeal to it.

My highest score so far is only 1212 :D but like I say, not a big fan of numbers.

After moving from iOS I'm a bit disappointed there's not a better selection of free games on Droid. I remember people telling me they could get this or that game, that I paid for on iOS, for free on Android - well, I don't see this great selection. The one thing I liked about iOS was the app store. Simply laid out, easy to find everything within seconds. Finding google play store cumbersome towards it. Maybe I just need to get used to it?

have you installed the amazon app store? occasionally they give you credit when you install a game, they did a bit a while ago where photo editing apps gave you 1000 coins * 10stg or dollars depending on where you have your amazon app registered to.
    gta was only 299 coins ;)

Yeah I got that after seeing it on here. Grabbed Threes and Riptide 2 from it :) not much else grabbed my attention, must have another look. It was a bit fiddly after installing, like when I clicked on the games I downloaded through it, sometimes they either wouldn't respond, or amazon would open, not the game :/ seems to have settled down though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

This could be of interest to anyone wanting to convert their android apps into chrome apps for their pc.

http://android.wonderhowto.com/how-to/convert-your-favorite-android-apps-into-chrome-apps-0157594/

• Advertisement

I grabbed Threes while it was free too. Didn't think I'd like it, I'm not a fan of numbers or number games in general. But it's got that 'one more go!' appeal to it.

My highest score so far is only 1212 :D but like I say, not a big fan of numbers.

After moving from iOS I'm a bit disappointed there's not a better selection of free games on Droid. I remember people telling me they could get this or that game, that I paid for on iOS, for free on Android - well, I don't see this great selection. The one thing I liked about iOS was the app store. Simply laid out, easy to find everything within seconds. Finding google play store cumbersome towards it. Maybe I just need to get used to it?

My highest is 9084 on the facebook app. :o

I'm finding it harder on the Kindle than on the facebook or android apps.

I'll get there, just not looking far enough ahead maybe and running out of moves fast

I see Battleheart is on Android, but not Legacy!? I would recommend that to everyone otherwise. One of the best casual RPGs from iOS - I found it much more fun than the hoardes of 'rogue like' games flooding the place

Just scored 9,702 there. Anyway, I'm stray off topic now so I'll quit the bragging! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

BenEadir wrote: »
    Nothing offside about this article IMHO - http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/29/nokias-here-maps-for-android-beta-apk-leaked-works-fine-on-non-samsung-hardware/

Might be useful when roaming in Europe to have the country data downloaded onto your OPO, after all we do have 64GB to use up :D

I'll wait and see if a full working version for generic Android devices is released. ATM it seems Nokia are only going to make it available to Samsung devices but I'm sure some of our friends over on XDA will soon sort that out ;)

It's running perfectly on my HTC One. Apparently works fine on 4.0 or later. Very nice looking app. Couldn't really test it for navigation as I was stuck on the N4 for 90 minutes though!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Just scored 9,702 there. Anyway, I'm stray off topic now so I'll quit the bragging! :P

Just got 3,135 :) Not bad for only playing it 2 days. Happy with that ... now to beat it ...

It's running perfectly on my HTC One. Apparently works fine on 4.0 or later. Very nice looking app. Couldn't really test it for navigation as I was stuck on the N4 for 90 minutes though!

Working perfectly for me also. I used to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator for offline navigation in Europe as roaming charges can be punitive but never liked the interface. The Nokia Here navigation app (http://www.mediafire.com/download/hfnajgrkwn1c1iv/HERE_Beta_com.here.app.maps_1.0+beta_124.apk) has a much nicer interface and has now replaced Navigator on my phone. Offline maps of Ireland and the UK are +/- 1GB and France is also circa 1GB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

BenEadir wrote: »
    Working perfectly for me also. I used to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator for offline navigation in Europe as roaming charges can be punitive but never liked the interface. The Nokia Here navigation app (http://www.mediafire.com/download/hfnajgrkwn1c1iv/HERE_Beta_com.here.app.maps_1.0+beta_124.apk) has a much nicer interface and has now replaced Navigator on my phone. Offline maps of Ireland and the UK are +/- 1GB and France is also circa 1GB.
    Just downloaded it and it's saying it's expired :(

deco nate wrote: »
    Just downloaded it and it's saying it's expired :(

Worked perfectly for me yesterday and now it's saying expired also. I guess it was a time limted beta and automatically shuts off at a pre-determined time/date. :( I'm sure our friends over on XDA will get it sorted sooner or later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Any apps better then dropbox(currently have 3.6gb free storage) for backing up my pics and vids?

Flickr advertise 1tb free. Not sure what the catch is beside advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After seeing a review for Desert Golfing in Eurogamer (9/10), I had to grab it. Minimalist, but more-ish - a really good mobile game! The clever thing is that there is no reset button or way to start over within the game, so you have to live with your mistakes (and try to recover from them). A bit like real life I suppose. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-01-desert-golfing-review
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.captaingames.golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

If you want to gain referral space on Dropbox you can earn an extra 18gb (iirc) for a small price. I used a guy on fiverr but just found an eBay advert offering the service for €1.29.
    Just send them your referral link and they'll do the work. Nice and easy.

• Advertisement

I did that once and a few months later Dropbox removed the space and flagged my account for referral abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

After seeing a review for Desert Golfing in Eurogamer (9/10), I had to grab it. Minimalist, but more-ish - a really good mobile game! The clever thing is that there is no reset button or way to start over within the game, so you have to live with your mistakes (and try to recover from them). A bit like real life I suppose. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-01-desert-golfing-review
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.captaingames.golf

It looks a little like Super Stickman Golf. Are they similar?

Google drive gave me 50GB free space for no apparent reason the other day. And it seems I now have 115GB space on there, without every spending a cent for more space. I thought everyone must have got same?

[edit] - seems it's part of a HTC promo, I get the free space for 2 years, after that I'll probably have to pay to keep it? Must have been 50GB when you sign up, then 50 when you start using it or something? Because I'd never really used it before now.

IR2Q43P.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I use a collection of apps to backup photos
    I found Dropbox space just not enough and you had to jump through hoops to get more free space
    Dropbox price is not great either for small amounts of paid space such as 100GB

I use the following methods to backup photos

1. Take a photo on the phone
    2. It backs up to my personal Gmail (Google+) account from the phone which I find great as it will do these Auto Awesome stories/movies etc (I have 65Gb of free storage with Google but prices for 100GB are about €25 per year which is great and is more than enough for photos at the moment for me.)
    3. I also have SyncMe Wireless set up on the phone and it syncs any new photos to a NAS at home when I connect to the network with my phone
    4. From this NAS I have Flickr set up to monitor the photos folder and all new photos are backed up to Flickr with its free 1TB storage.
    5. My wife and daughter also use SyncMe Wireless to back up to the NAS and their photos are then automatically backed up to our shared Flickr account
    6. As an extra step I also set up Google+ PC app to monitor the NAS for new photos and it backs up to our family Google+ account so we have a great way to look at and share photos across all types of platforms. It’s great to be able to throw on our Chromecast and view all the family photos from all our cameras in one place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

I did that once and a few months later Dropbox removed the space and flagged my account for referral abuse.

Ouch. Presume you didn't lose any data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It looks a little like Super Stickman Golf. Are they similar?

Similar enough. It has the raw mechanics and physics, but endless holes (once the shot goes in, the screen scrolls across and the hole becomes the tee for the next shot). The holes are procedurally generated and endless. Getting a string of hole-in-ones is addictive. :)

Nokia here is back online
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nokia/here-beta/here-beta-1-0-beta-2-apk/
    dont use the google play link.

Back to bed is the amazon faotd, might be good for those who enjoyed monument valley.

Nokia here is back online
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/nokia/here-beta/here-beta-1-0-beta-2-apk/
    dont use the google play link.

Do you know if this version is time limited? I don't think I can be ar$ed installing all the offline maps and customising it again if it's going to stop working in a few days/weeks or even months!!

Wouldnt have a clue, this is the chance you take unless you plan on getting a samsung phone which is what here is going to be released for, as they will be the only phones nokia here is supposed to work for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I downloaded two maps,where do they go? Checked my file manager and everywhere else,cant locate them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I downloaded two maps,where do they go? Checked my file manager and everywhere else,cant locate them

/Android/data/com.here.app.maps/files

/Android/data/com.here.app.maps/files

I wonder if you install the new version on top of the old version will the phone see it as an update and therefore use the old maps which were downloaded and settings and favourites which were saved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

KAGY wrote: »
    Flickr advertise 1tb free. Not sure what the catch is beside advertising
    I love Flickr, but I'm not sure that I'd trust it as being the only storage for my photos. I just worry about what might happen if they disabled my account for some reason. Do you keep the original photo files as well?

I use a collection of apps to backup photos
    I found Dropbox space just not enough and you had to jump through hoops to get more free space
    Dropbox price is not great either for small amounts of paid space such as 100GB

I use the following methods to backup photos

1. Take a photo on the phone
    2. It backs up to my personal Gmail (Google+) account from the phone which I find great as it will do these Auto Awesome stories/movies etc (I have 65Gb of free storage with Google but prices for 100GB are about €25 per year which is great and is more than enough for photos at the moment for me.)
    3. I also have SyncMe Wireless set up on the phone and it syncs any new photos to a NAS at home when I connect to the network with my phone
    4. From this NAS I have Flickr set up to monitor the photos folder and all new photos are backed up to Flickr with its free 1TB storage.
    5. My wife and daughter also use SyncMe Wireless to back up to the NAS and their photos are then automatically backed up to our shared Flickr account
    6. As an extra step I also set up Google+ PC app to monitor the NAS for new photos and it backs up to our family Google+ account so we have a great way to look at and share photos across all types of platforms. It’s great to be able to throw on our Chromecast and view all the family photos from all our cameras in one place

This looks like a really good arrangement. Can SyncMe Wireless be set to remove photos from the phone once you push them over to the NAS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

RainyDay wrote: »

This looks like a really good arrangement. Can SyncMe Wireless be set to remove photos from the phone once you push them over to the NAS?

I use an app called 'sweet home', you can set it to remove photos older than x days, weeks. Works really well, and it has saved me onece or twice. It will rename the file before you upload to avoid duplicate names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Infinite Flight is probably the best flight sim I've used on my phone or tablet.

Lots of planes, lots of airports, really smooth interface and detailed flight maps etc.
    It also features tower control radio etc.

Doesn't have choppers / helicopters etc, and no sea planes (iirc) but it's much better than x pland Imo.

Check out "Infinite Flight Simulator"
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fds.infiniteflight

NTC wrote: »
    I use an app called 'sweet home', you can set it to remove photos older than x days, weeks. Works really well, and it has saved me onece or twice. It will rename the file before you upload to avoid duplicate names.

Will it allow me to auto delete photo's and videos which have been uploaded to Dropbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

While you wait anxiously for the next installment of The Room, why not take a look at a darker and somewhat more action-oriented first-person puzzler? Hellraid: The Escape has just made the trip over from iOS, and it's got some impressive graphics powered by the Unreal Engine. Also, lots and lots of gruesome deaths.

Quote from here.

A dark first-person puzzle game just emerged in the Google Play Store called Hellraid: The Escape. It ties in with an upcoming console game, though the mobile iteration is decidedly less hack-and-slashy. It's going for $2.99, and has no in-app purchases or ads.

Players have to work their way through the labyrinthine underworld to escape an eternity of torment. Mind-bending defenses will confound your jailbreak, and even once you get through a door, there are frightening demons on the loose whose sole purpose in existence is to make sure you don't go anywhere. Hellraid: The Escape enjoys top-notch graphics and a wide variety of puzzle types to work your way through.

Quoted from here

Google Playstore €2.69

I have only played the first chamber so far but it looks good. Plays well on Nexus 7 (2012).

Regards

John

RainyDay wrote: »
    I love Flickr, but I'm not sure that I'd trust it as being the only storage for my photos. I just worry about what might happen if they disabled my account for some reason. Do you keep the original photo files as well?

Yes. You can either copy to the NAS leaving the source files on the phone or you can set it to 'move' which as it suggests will move from the phone to the destination of the NAS

• Advertisement

In fact I would think Syncme Wireless is in my top 5 useful apps. It has a wake on lan feature too but I use PC Auto Water to wake up my NAS automatically when our phones join the home Wifi.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement