Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a Desert Golfing thread over on the mobile games forum. This was my hole from hell earlier today. Needed 2 perfect shots back to back (including a straight chip into the hole for the 2nd shot). It was the first hole that took me more than 100 shots to finish.

IeCJUWay.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Play the ball back from the tee, then wallop it full power upwards and at as much at horizontal angle as possible. If you land in the centre pit no biggie. Just a gentle tap backwards up the left slope and it will stick. Then another gentle chip in. Playing it against the bottom of the lower half of the incline and using bounce and momentum to make up the hill without too much overshoot.

4/6 shots max. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

It can bounce back out of the hole, very annoying when you land a lucky shot from miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not seeing the attraction tbh, a bit boring, Super Stickman 1 or 2 are way better in basically every way.

Not getting Rovios Flappy Bird ripoff either, there are places on the levels where you're obviously meant to go but it is physically impossible to get the plane there, do I have to pay for a better plane or something? Also it relies too heavily on memorizing the levels instead of skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thargor wrote: »
    Not seeing the attraction tbh, a bit boring, Super Stickman 1 or 2 are way better in basically every way.

Not getting Rovios Flappy Bird ripoff either, there are places on the levels where you're obviously meant to go but it is physically impossible to get the plane there, do I have to pay for a better plane or something? Also it relies too heavily on memorizing the levels instead of skill.

Agreed. I played it for 10 minutes and got a refund.

Bollox forgot I could get a refund...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stickman games appear more fun, deserting golf just grows on you. I've sunk way more hours into it than Stickman. Initially I didn't quite get the game. Controls seemed clunky, shots seemed a bit odd and there was no undo button. 1,000 holes and 3,000 strokes later and I can safely say it's my favourite android app for pure escapism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have to agree with the people who are bigging up Desert Golf, I'm very much enjoying it. Will only play in spurts, but I think that's how it's designed.

The controls were a little clunky to get used to, but have that sorted out now.

Currently on hole #45, having taken 158 shots through the first 44 (or ~3.6 shots per hole). Have yet to have a nightmare hole, I would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

there are some really difficult areas to reach that involve some pretty advanced flying technique but nothing that you have to pay to do.

I think there are some options to buy coins but no option to buy better plane.

How do you go straight up for example? The plane only gets some momentum when it travels forward a good bit, I love these types of games for quick blasts but I literally have no clue what to do in some places and don't want to ruin it with a walkthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

How do you go straight up for example? The plane only gets some momentum when it travels forward a good bit, I love these types of games for quick blasts but I literally have no clue what to do in some places and don't want to ruin it with a walkthrough.

Going straight up is a really advanced move. You need to do a loop and at the top let go, then as you drop start another loop. It takes ages to get. But you don't need that in the first levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone know a browser with incognito mode apart from chrome as it seems to be using a lot of RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Slunk wrote: »
    Anyone know a browser with incognito mode apart from chrome as it seems to be using a lot of RAM.

Firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Shopping for gifts for the wife are we?!

Christmas will be over by the time you get the YT video sorted. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

A few must-have apps that I like all require root:
    -Adblock plus for android, blocks ads in free versions of apps. Google took it off the play store as it deprives them of ad revenue. So get the apk here and install: https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install
    -Viper4android is an excellent app for sound with equalisers and lots of audio enhancements. It installs a driver, so requires root and busybox to be installed. It is a zip file, so has to be installed in a custom recovery mode like CWM or TWRP. Download latest version here: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=48 Enhancements listed here: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=43
    -Greenify is handy for auto killing apps when not in use. Good for battery hogs. Available in play store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Dolpin has private mode and if that's not enough, install Dolphin Zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Monument Valley is Amazon's free app of the day. Fantastic game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Mr E wrote: »

Got there before me! I paid for it from google play already.

More levels are in the works, iOS users are enjoying them since last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Cool thanks! I've been wanting to check it out for awhile but not willing to pay for it to be honest.

Thanks, looks great.

Anyone playing the new Candy Crush, Soda Saga? I know people sneer at them but I just cant stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

If i download that on my phone now will it be available on my tablet too, won't be home until tomorrow

You can claim it on your phone now or any browser or Amazon app where you're logged in to your Amazon and it will be linked to your Amazon account free forever allowing you to install it on any android device you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Cheers lads for the heads up on Monument Valley. To call it a game does it discredit its more like interactive artwork. Stunningly beautiful. Hope the new levels for Android arnt too long in the making.

I swear I nearly had a zen like moment on the water tower level......

• Advertisement

I played the first 4 levels earlier on. It's stunning.

What's the best photo editing app I could get for a tablet?

Just a day after Amazon’s monumental giveaway of Monument Valley, it seems there is even bigger news in store: the Amazon Appstore that is. Ustwo, the game’s publisher, has announced (via Polygon) that Forgotten Shores, the recently released iOS expansion to Monument Valley, will launch on the Amazon’s mobile market today (November 20th), where it will remain a temporary exclusive. Those who wish to wait for the standard Google Play Store edition need only survive the agony until Monday the 24th

Quote from here

I will have to wait till Monday, I have the Play version! It's unusual for amazon appstore to have something before play.

There is only 8 new levels for $1.99 IAP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anybody using the office preview apps?
    I can't believe there going to be pushing these out for free, after using them I'm well chuffed to get the ms office functionality on the go with a tablet.

I'm not a big game player and tend to stick to a few old favourites but Monument Valley just blew me away. I'm in awe of the imagination of the people who come up with this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭paul0103

Stick Hero. Frustratingly brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Can anyone recommend and app for viewing files stored on a NAS ?
    NAS is a Raspberry Pi with HDD attached

I want to view photos and maybe play videos stored on my NAS using either a Samsung Galaxy S4 or a an S3 mini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I use ES File Explorer for browsing to my NAS and playing videos etc.
    (When I'm on my home wifi)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

daytob wrote: »
    Cloning this was on the agenda for today's strategy meeting, in the office. No joke. There is no hope for mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cloning this was on the agenda for today's strategy meeting, in the office. No joke. There is no hope for mankind.

Hearing that actually makes my heart sink. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

For anyone looking for a photo gallery for android 5.0, I recommend my roll.

For anyone looking for a photo gallery for android 5.0, I recommend my roll.

Your roll?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Lazors is a nice little puzzle game, free but the only IAPs are for more Hints, not seeing any ads but I have AdAway so there might be some. :)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.pyrosphere.lazors

• Advertisement

Soulcalibur on sale for under $4(€3.12), down from $13.99

Everyone is familiar with Soulcalibur games, right? From the arcades to mobile platforms, this game has been everywhere. While it’s been acclaimed by many as one of the best fighting games of all time, that has made the price pretty expensive over the years. Up until recently, it has been availab...

http://www.androidauthority.com/soulcalibur-sale-568947/

Downloading on my Nexus 9 as I type.

Another good game that plays on the Nexus 9 is Hellraid: The Escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Agggggh goddamn it.

Downloaded this and am totally hooked!

corkie wrote: »
    Soulcalibur on sale for under $4(€3.12), down from $13.99

Downloading on my Nexus 9 as I type.

Another good came that plays on the Nexus 9 is Hellraid: The Escape.

Just curious, have you got a nexus 9?

Agggggh goddamn it.

It's the first time in a long time that I finished a game and was disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Agggggh goddamn it.

Don't worry, it doesn't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I was disappointed in how short it was. I'd be a bit pissed if I paid, what €5? I thought it was very easy too, excellent idea and style, but too short and easy IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I was disappointed in how short it was. I'd be a bit pissed if I paid, what €5? I thought it was very easy too, excellent idea and style, but too short and easy IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm just downloading a big update for Monument Valley so it must mean new levels :)

Edit: or possibly not.... No sign of new levels :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

54kroc wrote: »
    I can't believe there going to be pushing these out for free, after using them I'm well chuffed to get the ms office functionality on the go with a tablet.

Is this a Microsoft app or what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

54kroc wrote: »

Got my invite this morning but haven't got around to using it yet. Looks good so far anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement