Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Any app for saving snapchat messages?

Xposed Module called Keepchat auto saves pics sent to you, can be awkward but it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,577 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Any app for saving snapchat messages?

Can you not just take a screenshot? :confused:

Or are you looking for a way of saving without the other person knowing you've taken a screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

dulpit wrote: »
    Can you not just take a screenshot? :confused:

Or are you looking for a way of saving without the other person knowing you've taken a screen?

I keep getting sent videos, and I'm not getting any younger. I always seem to have the sound down or not paying attention and miss most of the message. Friends getting annoyed when I keep asking them to send it again!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I keep getting sent videos, and I'm not getting any younger. I always seem to have the sound down or not paying attention and miss most of the message. Friends getting annoyed when I keep asking them to send it again!

Why not use a different messaging app instead ? Like whatsapp or viber then ?

GBX wrote: »

I do! Don't know why they keep using snapchat nut there's no talking to them. All the rage in oz apparently!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

GBX wrote: »

Maybe they are videos the sender doesn't want recorded? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any recommendations for the best weather widget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

seligehgit wrote: »

Authentic weather is hilarious but not for kids

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.authentic.weather&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

seligehgit wrote: »

I like the accuwether and aix weather widgets!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

I like the accuwether and aix weather widgets!

+1 on aix. Very functional but more of a secondary weather widget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i like YR Widget for weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭_Jumper_

What would be a good Tracker that you could put on someones phone with their consent to see where they are?

Play store or not don't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

_Jumper_ wrote: »
    What would be a good Tracker that you could put on someones phone with their consent to see where they are?

Play store or not don't matter.

That sounds very creepy but the Android Device Manager should be grand, works off an android once both have it installed. You'll need to have the same google account on both phones if that's an issue.

Obviously the phones will need good GPS, no app is gonna fix that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Cerberus does that. It has a website interface that you can view the current location of any phone with it installed, but also the location history. It also has an Android app for doing the same (albeit slightly limited) things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Google Plus allows you to do that too.
    I created a circle called family and put my family into it. Then in the location settings I share my location with Family.
    On my familys phone we do the same.

Then in the app you can go into Location and see where each phone is on a Google map.

It's handy that you do it once and never have to do it again. If you get a new phone your settings follow you like any Google app. I haven't found any location stuff to be super reliable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

timetogo wrote: »
    Google Plus allows you to do that too.
    I created a circle called family and put my family into it. Then in the location settings I share my location with Family.
    On my familys phone we do the same.

Then in the app you can go into Location and see where each phone is on a Google map.

It's handy that you do it once and never have to do it again. If you get a new phone your settings follow you like any Google app. I haven't found any location stuff to be super reliable though.

We use Life360 in a similar way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭N1one

danmcmie wrote:
    does anyone know the best sat nav app for android? Im finding google maps very limited.

I use Here - maps and find it great, especially as you can download maps for off line use when out of coverage or when roaming.

Anyone else find that the rte app completely hoggs the battery? Since the app was updated I've found it terrible on battery and full of ads. Balls because I liked it but I've had to uninstall it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My mother was complaining about her tablet because apparently the battery was dead a year after I bought it for her, checked the battery stats and saw RTE News Now app was sucking down 70% of the battery even though she says she only ever used it once or twice before going back to the website on Chrome, checked Google Play and all the reviews were one star complaining about the battery drain.

Tbh Ive found this with a lot of Irish apps, Myhome, Daft.ie, Irish Times etc, all massive resource hogs, slow to refresh, wasteful on battery etc, very annoying...

• Advertisement

Anyone else find that the rte app completely hoggs the battery? Since the app was updated I've found it terrible on battery and full of ads. Balls because I liked it but I've had to uninstall it.

Yup. Uninstalled it last week.
    Also the journal app. My battery was running dry by lunchtime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yodo1.crossyroad

Crossy Road, been playing this a lot lately. Simple idea executed very well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The RTE Player app? I have it on my Android TV so I guess I wouldn't have noticed any battery hogging. The ads on it are a curse alright.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The RTE Player app? I have it on my Android TV so I guess I wouldn't have noticed any battery hogging. The ads on it are a curse alright.

RTE news now app!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

RTE news now app!
    OK, never even heard of it... good for me by the sounds of things! I hate apps that run 24/7 myself, except for maybe Viber and my IM aggregator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

RTE news now app!

Yes! New version was taking up to 80% battery.
    Uninstalled it and bookmarked it in Firefox instead. Very little difference actually, and far fewer adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.rte.news&hl=en

Take a look at the reviews for it, praise for the old one, 1 star for the new one, everybody saying its killing their battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

baldshin wrote: »
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yodo1.crossyroad

Crossy Road, been playing this a lot lately. Simple idea executed very well!

installing this now, havent played it yet, but is it just Frogger re-branded?

nedd wrote: »
    installing this now, havent played it yet, but is it just Frogger re-branded?

Basically, yes! It's the first game in a while to take me away from Desert Golfing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

stumbleupon is bad battery hog app as well but find the app good.

People should use the report an issue on the app more often.

baldshin wrote: »
    Basically, yes! It's the first game in a while to take me away from Desert Golf!

Desert Golfing:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.captaingames.golf

or Desert Golf:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jeski.desertgolf

I'm guessing its desert golfING. The other is a cheap knock off. Just confirming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

steve_r wrote: »

I seen this but I don;t have any link on my phone whatsapp to scan the code. Could this be because I'm on Android 4.4.4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I seen this but I don;t have any link on my phone whatsapp to scan the code. Could this be because I'm on Android 4.4.4?

Should have gotten an update yesterday for Whatsapp so theres now a Whatsapp Web option in the settings menu. I think a couple of people have had to clear the app data but I didnt (4.4.4 aswell btw)

My bad, Desert GolfING! I'll edit my original post, don't want people getting the crap one! I've done over 3000 holes, such is the addictiveness of that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Should have gotten an update yesterday for Whatsapp so theres now a Whatsapp Web option in the settings menu. I think a couple of people have had to clear the app data but I didnt (4.4.4 aswell btw)

Sorted. had to clear data. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Sorted. had to clear data. Thanks for the help.
    I don't know if it's come up before, but App Cache Cleaner does a great job for this.

Thargor wrote: »
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.rte.news&hl=en

Take a look at the reviews for it, praise for the old one, 1 star for the new one, everybody saying its killing their battery.

It's syncing too often to look for new news. Is there a way to reduce this?
    The Journal app is exactly the same.

My work email used to kill my phone, syncing every 10 seconds or so and then I changed it to every 5 minutes. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

steve_r wrote: »

I wanted to use this on a tablet but can't see the full QR code box. The edge is just off screen in chrome. Does anybody know how to get around this? I've tried changing font size and zoom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I just updated it and can't fins the web options in the settings :(

edit: found it, excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Using whatsapp desktop since morning, works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Had to un/reinstall whatsapp on my oneplus to get it to work, this is brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ I only needed to update it. An update was available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Anyone get this going on a tablet? Tried there but can't get the full QR code in view in portrait or landscape view :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Liamalone wrote: »
    Anyone get this going on a tablet? Tried there but can't get the full QR code in view in portrait or landscape view :(

I can't access the site on chrome on mine

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement