Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Niemoj wrote: »
    I'd a brief fling with Hangouts for a while before an updated fecked up the messaging so I use the Google Messenger for sms now, MightText so I can respond from my tablet and PC and I've been using WhatsApp for IM since 2010 and have not even paid €0.00 for it so I love that.

Is it not free for life now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Niemoj wrote: »
    I'd a brief fling with Hangouts for a while before an updated fecked up the messaging so I use the Google Messenger for sms now, MightText so I can respond from my tablet and PC and I've been using WhatsApp for IM since 2010 and have not even paid €0.00 for it so I love that.

Word of warning for anyone using MightyText and occasionally partakes in the auld sexting, disable it when you have a friend over watching youtube vids :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Recently moved over to Android, just wondering which browser people find the best. I know it's a fairly subjective question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Recently moved over to Android, just wondering which browser people find the best. I know it's a fairly subjective question

That depends on what you want, some opt for Chrome for the built in integration it gives, tab and bookmark sync from your desktop etc. Myself I use Chrome beta as my default browser but I also use Dolphin HD with add-ons for some sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Hangouts is woeful

I've seen a lot of cpmplaints about Hangouts but can't for the life of me think why?

What are the main issues you find with it?

It sends SMS and IM. I get notified about each message that I receive. I can integrate SMS and IM conversations from the same contact. What more do I need? (what extra should I be looking for?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I had loads of problems with hangouts. Main one being that half of my messages either didn't come up or I just wouldn't get any notifications for them. It caused me serious problems as work offer me shifts through text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My main issue with Hangouts is it looks cat, green, green everywhere!

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    My main issue with Hangouts is it looks cat, green, green everywhere!

I can tweak Hangouts and change the color with an Xposed module

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭G1032

I had loads of problems with hangouts. Main one being that half of my messages either didn't come up or I just wouldn't get any notifications for them. It caused me serious problems as work offer me shifts through text.
    Patww79 wrote: »

OK. I never had any issues like that. I really find it a great app tbh. Use hangouts from work PC too which can be very handy since can't use phone at work

Anyone know how to get the unread count badge for Viber working? Cant see anything in the settings for it. Do you need a third party app? I have Nova but it only has options for whatsapp, message and email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

G1032 wrote: »
    OK. I never had any issues like that. I really find it a great app tbh. Use hangouts from work PC too which can be very handy since can't use phone at work

It's types of phones and versions of Android I think. Every body has bother with some App(s).

Cheers just got it fixed

• Advertisement

Thanks just edited post above, found it. Cheers mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The latest VLC beta can play files from your local network. It seems to be working great for me so far.

http://lifehacker.com/vlc-for-android-beta-can-now-browse-your-files-on-your-1763080227

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

The latest VLC beta can play files from your local network. It seems to be working great for me so far.

http://lifehacker.com/vlc-for-android-beta-can-now-browse-your-files-on-your-1763080227

This is surprising to me as I have been using MXPlayer for years to play from network shares.

• Advertisement

I'm back again with another question, recently moved to android from iPhone so taking a while to set things up. I have the gmail app and use it for both gmail and yahoo. My issue is I don't get the unread icon on the app for any of my yahoo mails. Works for gmail obviously but I only get a notification on lock screen for yahoo. I have telsaUnread set up to show emails as well so I'm baffled. Thinking of just using two email apps at this stage. Anyone come across this issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I'm back again with another question, recently moved to android from iPhone so taking a while to set things up. I have the gmail app and use it for both gmail and yahoo. My issue is I don't get the unread icon on the app for any of my yahoo mails. Works for gmail obviously but I only get a notification on lock screen for yahoo. I have telsaUnread set up to show emails as well so I'm baffled. Thinking of just using two email apps at this stage. Anyone come across this issue?

Go into tesla unread and turn on 'Notification Bar Watcher'. Grant it the necessary system permissions and then make sure you have yahoo mail selected from the list. As the name suggests it works by watching your notification bar for Yahoo notifications.

Go into tesla unread and turn on 'Notification Bar Watcher'. Grant it the necessary system permissions and then make sure you have yahoo mail selected from the list. As the name suggests it works by watching your notification bar for Yahoo notifications.

Thanks. I don't have yahoo mail on that list though. Haven't dowloaded the app as i only wanted to use Gmail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Is it not free for life now?

Yeah, now it is.

But previously on iOS you had to pay something like €0.79 for it.

On Android you had to pay too technically but every time it would come close to the expiry date (ie time to pay up) you would just get a service extended message. I'd been getting those since 2010 meaning I've paid not a cent for it.

WhatsApp is probably the best messenger out there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Word of warning for anyone using MightyText and occasionally partakes in the auld sexting, disable it when you have a friend over watching youtube vids :o

Haha!

Yeah I had it set to sync notifications and every so often a Tumblr notification would come up containing a certain type of message...

Needless to say that was disabled promptly!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Could someone tell me what is the best free app to use for downloading music on the phone?

Also, anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and the new snapchat filters are not on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Update the app. I use tube mate for you tube videos. It's good

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Update the app. I use tube mate for you tube videos. It's good

Yeah have loads of times and it still won't work.

I've decided to give a password manager another go. What are generally regarded as good ones for Android that allow use of the fingerprint scanner? I've tried lastpass and from what I see it's completely geared toward desktop and redundant on a phone. Had it on mine for 2 days now and it did absolutely nothing but all user guides are about using a browser on a PC.

Yes, get your passwords into Lastpass, then it becomes useful

• Advertisement

When you try add something to lastpass it looks for web addresses, etc.I'm working with apps, that's why I want one that is more Android specific.
    I allowed apps when I installed it but I've been signing in and out of them since and I haven't seen a pop-up or anything from it to ask do I want it to remember anything, nor did I see anywhere in it to manually add an app login. It's uninstalled now anyway.

Basically what I want is something that will let me open an app and hit my fingerprint scanner when it asks me to log in to populate the field. No desktop sync, no browsers, no generators, just remember my passwords and auto fill them for me in apps. Maybe what I want doesn't even exist but if anyone knows one then I'd be much obliged.

Did you turn on app fill in the settings because that is exactly what it does

Must be something stopping it for me if it is meant to work on apps.

You enable it in menu> accessibility.
    That's enough in this thread. Maybe a mid could move the posts to it's own thread

Must be something stopping it for me if it is meant to work on apps.

You enable it in menu> accessibility.
    That's enough in this thread. Maybe a mid could move the posts to it's own thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads is there an app that would let me change the way i answer my phone? I'm disabled and find the swiping difficult.

ps I have a Huawei G7 so no physical home button...

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

smilerf wrote: »
    Lads is there an app that would let me change the way i answer my phone? I'm disabled and find the swiping difficult.

ps I have a Huawei G7 so no physical home button...

thanks

This one is supposedly very good play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digia.easyanswer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

There is also and Easy Mode on that phone.
    It simplifies the home screen into 6 sections instead of mutliple apps.

https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/huawei_ascendg7/using_easy_mode.html

I think you can choose the 6 sections, so for example instead of 'music' you could have 'Apps'.
    It's also very handy on stubborn or broken/damaged screens.

Has anyone used NRG player? Is it any good/worth paying for?

• Advertisement

Anyone for a free music app no?

closeline wrote: »
    Anyone for a free music app no?

YouTube

YouTube

To download I meant like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

To download I meant like

There's no legal ones and we can't mention the others. Google is your friend.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

To download I meant like

It's pretty easy get YouTube to mp3, Google it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Allyall wrote: »
    There is also and Easy Mode on that phone.
    It simplifies the home screen into 6 sections instead of mutliple apps.

https://videotron.tmtx.ca/en/topic/huawei_ascendg7/using_easy_mode.html

I think you can choose the 6 sections, so for example instead of 'music' you could have 'Apps'.
    It's also very handy on stubborn or broken/damaged screens.

Has anyone used NRG player? Is it any good/worth paying for?
    Tried it but didn't like I use power amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

smilerf wrote: »
    Tried it but didn't like I use power amp
    Thanks.
    Yeah I have poweramp, but a few issues with it led me to look elsewhere. It seems okay now (poweramp).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fantastic Humble Bundle for Android.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

Pay $1 or more for Prune, Framed, and Battlestation: Harbinger.

Pay more than the average price to also receive Frozen Synapse Prime, Lara Croft Go, and Sorcery! 3.

Pay $6 or more to get all of that plus Grim Fandango Remastered and Desktop Dungeons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Mr E wrote: »

Plus one for Trello, it sounds like a checklist on a single card will have you sorted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement