Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Any recommendations for a good irish weather app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Testament1 wrote: »

Met eireann, yr

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Weather underground, the community provide local information with weather stations on their roof providing sensor info. There's plenty if them to get detailed info. There was a bargain alert some time ago that gave the premium for free but it just removed the adverts, no extra features. It's a very accurate nice clean app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wunderground.android.weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Have to disagree about Weather Underground. I work outdoors & accurate forecasts are essential.

For short term forecasts, like a few hours, Arcus is very good for rain. It monitors the rain radar & will give very accurate notifications. The ME app is ok but the rada map is tiny. You are better just bookmarking the rain radar page from the main ME site.

For longer forecasts I use yr.no, their new app is very good & I also use XC weather. The reason for the two is they both use a different computer model.

Edit: Weather Underground is showing no rain for Galway - it's actually raining.

Discodog wrote: »
    Edit: Weather Underground is showing no rain for Galway - it's actually raining.

Galway city has only a few weather stations reporting at present none are currently reporting any precipitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Patww79 wrote: »

Google keep has checklists.

Pretty minimal decent app.

Late to the party, but Trello is excellent.

Pretty decent Humble Mobile Bundle on at the moment, with Grim Fandango, Lara Croft Go, and more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

In terms of weather apps I use AccuWeather, it's free with ads and the paid version being around €3 I think.

Has a good design and allows multiple locations.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the "RealFeel" aspect of it, it could be 9°C outside and AccuWeather says it feels like -4°C!

I use Google Now for weather too which allows me to access forecasts as Gaeilge.

• Advertisement

Niemoj wrote: »
    In terms of weather apps I use AccuWeather, it's free with ads and the paid version being around €3 I think.

Has a good design and allows multiple locations.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the "RealFeel" aspect of it, it could be 9°C outside and AccuWeather says it feels like -4°C!

I use Google Now for weather too which allows me to access forecasts as Gaeilge.

As someone who relies on weather forecasts I find Accu weather the worst :)

As someone who relies on weather forecasts I find Accu weather the worst :)

Haha! Well I also dislike their feature of saying "it will rain in X minutes" as I've found it to almost never be accurate.

Niemoj wrote: »
    Haha! Well I also dislike their feature of saying "it will rain in X minutes" as I've found it to almost never be accurate.

Try Arcus. When it says rain in 10 minutes lasting 20 minutes it's often surprisingly accurate. It actually reads the ME rain radar.

Try Arcus. When it says rain in 10 minutes lasting 20 minutes it's often surprisingly accurate. It actually reads the ME rain radar.

Cheers for the recommendation I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droid27.transparentclockweather

Niemoj I use this one and I've had no problems with it and find it accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

If your preferred weather app gives you a choice then I've found weather underground to be an excellent data source for weather around the Munster region.

Otherwise I really like weather timeline as an app. Clear, quick and easy to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

If your preferred weather app gives you a choice then I've found weather underground to be an excellent data source for weather around the Munster region.

Otherwise I really like weather timeline as an app. Clear, quick and easy to read.

Second that weather timeline and I'll add in Simple Weather....really accurate rainfall radar alerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think most agree Accuweather isn't great. From the thread so far:

Arcus
    Transparent clock & weather
    Weather Underground
    Weather Timeline
    Simple Weather
    AIX
    YR

I'm going to test them all out on Irish Spring Weather over the next couple of days.. The toughest challenge for any weather app :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Allyall wrote: »

Arcus
    Weather Underground
    Weather Timeline
    Simple Weather

I'm going to test them all out on Irish Spring Weather over the next couple of days.. The toughest challenge for any weather app :D.

Don't forget to let us all know the scientific findings :)

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

Arcus
    Weather Underground
    Weather Timeline
    Simple Weather

Don't forget yr and aix weather widget

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ha Ha.. two pages of Widgets :D

Weather Timeline 69c so didn't get it. Simple Weather didn't have hourly, unless I'm missing something. YR and Weather Underground let me choose the weather station beside me. YR gave me a choice of three around me.. :eek:

WOW. Some of them are incredibly detailed.

AIX says it's raining here.. :(
    Maybe it's getting it's bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

+1 for Weather Timeline for me.
    The design & flow of information is excellent.

It has 4/5 different weather providers you can use if you think the default one is inaccurate for the area you in.

Bare in mind that some of these apps are better for specific forecasts. For example I don't use Arcus for tomorrow's weather - I use yr.no. But during the day, when I want short term rain forecasts Arcus is unique.

During changeable weather set the update period to 30 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Yahoo weather...

• Advertisement

Google Now does me for weather, though I've the weather Edge tab on too.

I think I read Google uses a combination of weather.com, weather underground and accuweather. I find it pretty good too.

Yeah, I can see some are far more accurate for the hour as opposed to day, and many have tons of settings... Very confusing to look at.
    I think I'll declare it a draw before my head explodes. :o:D

I'll leave it to a reviewer:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459837,00.asp
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/430-best-weather-apps.html
    https://www.androidpit.com/best-android-weather-apps-widgets

Arcus. "rain starting in 10 mins lasting 10 minutes" It didn't start till 12 mins & lasted 8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If you want a giggle with your weather there's always Authentic Weather. It's surprisingly accurate though but not detailed enough for professional use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I was sure I was in the Must Have Android Apps and Games thread.. I've clearly wandered into the Weather forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭droidman123

We're none of them apps?

Yes they are apps,but i think the point is these weather apps seem to be taking over,the last few pages have been about nothing but weather apps.

In fairness they were all apps, good discussion, pros and cons of each, this is Ireland and weather is important so very relevant in my book.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yes they are apps,but i think the point is these weather apps seem to be taking over,the last few pages have been about nothing but weather apps.

It's the revenge of the Megathread!
    They're using the weather against us, like that bad guy in one of the first episodes of The Flash.
    :-D

Does knowing the weather in advance change anything in your life? I know it doesn't in mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Does knowing the weather in advance change anything in your life? I know it doesn't in mine

Yeah it allows me to plan ahead the need for rain gear and for outdoor activities.

Some of us need to plan our days work out in it

Yeah that was a silly question from me :pac:

Anyway, I use this all the time, control your PC from your phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.Remote&hl=en

• Advertisement

Pity there's been about forty different weather apps recommended here though!! :D And no one can agree on one that is completely accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Yeah that was a silly question from me :pac:

Anyway, I use this all the time, control your PC from your phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Relmtech.Remote&hl=en

I can second this. Use it all the time. Great for a hangover and binge watching Netflix. No more getting off the couch and clicking continue watching for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

None are going to be 100% accurate - they should just be used as a short term guide.
    Looking for anything more long term than 24-48 hours is only going to cause frustration.

I've been using Weather Timeline for about a year now and it does a good job at the short term stuff.

You could always just go outside if you wanted to know the weather ...

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Any good sat nav apps? Can't seem to get drive to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Agreed, bar their dodgy pronunciation of Irish street names I've never had an issue with the navigation on google maps

maximoose wrote: »
    Agreed, bar their dodgy pronunciation of Irish street names I've never had an issue with the navigation on google maps

I quite enjoy their attempts at Irish street names :)

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement