Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Not everyone i know has what's app

Have everyone you know download whatsapp then.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

crazygeryy wrote:
    I can't seem to make it work with meteor.its not accepting my username and password?

Account name: make this your phone number, then
    enter the email address you use on the meteor website as your username and then the password you use and hit verify.

Once it's been verified hit save and your done. It will also import your most recent contacts that have messaged you so you don't have to memorise numbers or anything like that.

Hope you get it sorted and does what you need :)

deuceswild wrote: »
    anyone playing slither.io ? Great time killer and free

much better on pc with a mouse. I find the control not precise enough on a touchscreen. you can zoom out on a pc also to see more of the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Have everyone you know download whatsapp then.

Not everybody has a smart phone, elderly parents etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

DanC90 wrote: »
    Account name: make this your phone number, then
    enter the email address you use on the meteor website as your username and then the password you use and hit verify.

Once it's been verified hit save and your done. It will also import your most recent contacts that have messaged you so you don't have to memorise numbers or anything like that.

Hope you get it sorted and does what you need :)

Thanks for your help but whatever the hell is wrong its not working for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Try MightyText - but honesty, WhatsApp is probably a better idea. We got a neighbourhood watch group going on it - some resistance from the oldies, but they took to it like ducks to water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Try MightyText - but honesty, WhatsApp is probably a better idea. We got a neighbourhood watch group going on it - some resistance from the oldies, but they took to it like ducks to water.

Alot of people still don't have smart phones, never mind a data plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

jgbyr wrote: »

Tell these people to get with the times its 2016 .

If these people don't have smart phones why ask the question in the android forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Tell these people to get with the times its 2016 .

If these people don't have smart phones why ask the question in the android forum.

The original question was about getting an app to send text messages. Your contribution was to get WhatsApp, which wasn't what the poster was asking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The original question was about getting an app to send text messages. Your contribution was to get WhatsApp, which wasn't what the poster was asking.

We're doing pretty good by international standards;

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/irish-mobile-phone-usage-highest-in-the-western-world-global-stats-reveal-31480385.html

For our community group, we'd have a good few people in the 60s on the WhatsApp group, and one or two in their 70s.

But yes, everybody doesn't have a smart phone, particularly older people. However, there is a time when it is easier to sort the problem by putting the responsibility on the message receiver to get with the times, or even to buy the phone for them, depending on the circumstances.

This attitude of 'Oh I don't have a smart phone, so you have to jump through hoops to keep me informed' is a bit grating. I had one lady in a voluntary organisation tell me that she didn't like getting text messages, because she was once woken up at night by an incoming message (not from me), so I would have to ring her every time I sent a text message to the group of people involved to give her a personal update. She got a fairly short response, in the negative.

But anyway, for the OP, MightyText should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'm looking for an app that's a vault/secure area where I can put in details of car insurance, passport numbers etc. With cloud backup so data won't be lost. I'd like a free app if possible but willing to pay, but preferably not €10 per year, which is what some charge.

I use Google Keep but doesn't seem to have any password protection option for certain notes.

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I use Safe in Cloud (https://www.safe-in-cloud.com/en/). Syncs encrypted data file to various cloud based services.
    App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.safeincloud.free&hl=en

The windows app is free (great for loading the initial data) and the android app is pretty cheap (a one off payment too, not a subscription).

I know some people will recommend LastPass, but I don't put it up on the same pedestal that others seem to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

Colour note is excellent.you can choose to pass protect which notes you want.it has full back up and is a straightforward ui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Patww79 wrote: »
    Been looking something with a nice interface for such things for ages. That looks great.

Enpass is also pretty good. Syncs with your choice of cloud provider, apps for all platforms, one-off purchases as opposed to subs, fingerprint support, and the Desktop app is free to get you started. I use it for passwords, notes, passport details, bank and card details, PPS numbers, the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Patww79 wrote: »
    Anyone know any third party Facebook Messenger apps now that they won't allow access to them through the browser?
    Balls.. just noticed this too. Seconded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It will open Google play but if you go back to your browser there's an X on the right, tap this and you can chat after another pop-up for play store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Enpass is also pretty good. Syncs with your choice of cloud provider, apps for all platforms, one-off purchases as opposed to subs, fingerprint support, and the Desktop app is free to get you started. I use it for passwords, notes, passport details, bank and card details, PPS numbers, the lot.

I'm trying it out now, seems pretty good so far. One thing I think is missing is autofill password on chrome mobile, works fine on desktop chrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm trying it out now, seems pretty good so far. One thing I think is missing is autofill password on chrome mobile, works fine on desktop chrome

You can use their browser app, but there's also a keyboard and / or service you can enable from the app settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads what's the best Facebook messenger app bar the official one?

For Subway Surfer recovering addicts, the developers have released their new game, Blades of Brim.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sybogames.brim

Still an endless runner, but with added combat, combos, wall running, branching paths....

It's very very good. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Android-n-ify is a must for any rooted lollipop or marshmallow phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/xposed-android-n-ify-features-t3345091

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Anyone know any apps that will tell me if my phone is sim locked or not?

Heading overseas on a trip soon, and would like to be able to throw in a local SIM to the phone.

Dont have access to a different carrier SIM, and would like to take the necessary steps needed if it is locked before I head off.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Heading overseas on a trip soon, and would like to be able to throw in a local SIM to the phone.

Dont have access to a different carrier SIM, and would like to take the necessary steps needed if it is locked before I head off.

Cheers.

Don't know if there is apps for it.

But if you bought the phone from a network provider, it is more than likely locked to that network.

Just request an Unlock code from your provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Or you could say which phone it is and ask in HERE about unlocking it.

Cheers.

If you have any friends or relatives in your house, put their sim in your phone.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you don't have access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Cheers.

google the service menu number for your phone, you'll find out from that

• Advertisement

I loved Hitman GO and Lara Croft GO, so I'm happy to see that Deus Ex GO has been announced. Launch teaser below, coming out during the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Saw a game called Traffic Rider on the Play store with a rating of 4.7 so I said I'd give it a go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skgames.trafficrider

It's a first person traffic dodging game on bikes with really nice graphics.
    You start off with a scooter and can work your way up to super bikes.

The game does have adds and in all purchases but I find it you restart a race rather than continuing you get around the ads.

Pretty addictive and satisfying game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks, someone may be able to help me out with a search for specific type of apps,as I'm going traveling for next 10 weeks. I'm on a S7.

Is there a recommended/dedicated podcast app for Android? One where I can download them when I'm in WiFi, then listen back... I use my iPad for this for when I'm driving, but never came across a good one for Android.

Also, can anyone recommend a good dictating app? During my travels, I would love to verbally record my experiences each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks, someone may be able to help me out with a search for specific type of apps,as I'm going traveling for next 10 weeks. I'm on a S7.

Is there a recommended/dedicated podcast app for Android? One where I can download them when I'm in WiFi, then listen back... I use my iPad for this for when I'm driving, but never came across a good one for Android.

Also, can anyone recommend a good dictating app? During my travels, I would love to verbally record my experiences each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

chases0102 wrote: »

I use Pocket Casts. Has everything I want and does what you're asking. Well worth the couple of euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Another vote for pocket casts - great app. Link here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts

A free alternative that I used for quite some time was https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bambuna.podcastaddict, had no issues with it. The UI was quite ugly at the time, may have changed in the last few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

BeyondPod is the best imo. Player fm is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

+1 for BeyondPod as well. Pocketcasts is good as well, but I slightly preferred the BeyondPod UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

+1 for Player FM. Might have a look at a few alternatives.

Would love to be able to specify a min/max length of a podcast before auto download kicks in...

• Advertisement

+1 fot podcast addict that's the only one I've stuck with, always reliable and has an online radio player built in too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Use doubletwist for podcasts and never had an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Podcast Addict is the best one to use if you're used to getting your podcasts from iTunes as it has access to the iTunes podcast search engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

This War of Mine is only 2.99 on playstore now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

flazio wrote: »
    Podcast Addict is the best one to use if you're used to getting your podcasts from iTunes as it has access to the iTunes podcast search engine.

Alternatively you can add the rss of any itunes link by using this site: http://itunes.so-nik.com/.

Pain in the ass? Yes, but handy site to have to hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've used poweramp for ages, really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

corkie wrote: »
    Zombienosh wrote: »
    I've used poweramp for ages, really like it.

Always found it weird how Poweramp does not support DLNA.

If it did it would be immense.

speaking of which:anyone know any good DLNA playback apps?

• Advertisement

speaking of which:anyone know any good DLNA playback apps?

AFAIK Localcast does

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement