Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Patww79 wrote: »
    If you've a GMail address you kind of automatically have a Google+ account but you don't need it for Photos any more. That was split out to a stand alone service back when they started offering the unlimited backup storage.

Cheers, I must give it a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've printed 7x5s from Google Photos and they're perfect.

Amalgam wrote: »

The thing with the Humble Mobile bundles is that you have to go installing another app, their app, to install the games you buy from them.

Maybe I'm an idiot but I try to just buy from the Google Play store so I don't have stuff spread across several different app stores like Amazon, Humble etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You don't need the app installed for your downloads to work.

I had an issue with the Humble app seemingly always being on and popping up on my battery useage chart, which was annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Looking for an alternative to Pushbullet. They've just sent an email saying they're blocking third party notifications to non pro users. It was a great service once but now they've completely removed all the features from the free version I'd like to change

Hi, Pushbullet team here.

You're receiving this email because automated push activity from third-party software is going to your account. An example of this would be a piece of software that sends you regular updates via Pushbullet. We have seen a steady increase in the scripted / automated usage of Pushbullet and a few sources now account for far more push activity than humans. This unfortunately means automated pushing from this small number of sources is now responsible for a large amount of our server costs. To control these rising costs, we have decided to take steps to decrease this automated push activity.

Starting August 1st, we will begin blocking push activity from some automated senders for those without a Pro account (non-automated push activity will not be affected for anyone). The vast majority of users will not be affected. If you notice you are affected and want things back to working right away, please consider upgrading to Pushbullet Pro.

We are sorry for the inconvenience but have decided this is the correct move for us.

SMS replying and notifications were the main features of Pushbullet for me, and Airdroid does both.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

+1 for Airdroid.

If you use windows, the anniversary update which will be released on the 2nd of August is bringing support for notification mirroring for Win Phone and Android. So your SMS notifications will show up in the action centre and you can reply directly from there. You'll most likely have to install an app to get it to work but being tied in with windows sounds good to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DanC90 wrote: »
    +1 for Airdroid.

If you use windows, the anniversary update which will be released on the 2nd of August is bringing support for notification mirroring for Win Phone and Android. So your SMS notifications will show up in the action centre and you can reply directly from there. You'll most likely have to install an app to get it to work but being tied in with windows sounds good to me.

I'm pretty sure that needs Cortana which doesn't work here. I don't understand why they don't just let these features of it work here and exclude the rest.

OSI wrote: »
    I got that same email, bit of a pisser that they don't mention which api is causing the excessive notifications. I'm going to guess however that it's Sonarr, as it's by far the chattiest one I have.

Yeah, same for me. I use it for Couchpotato, Headphones and Nzbget also as well as a few IFTT recipes. Airdroid does not offer this sort of functionality. I did use notify my Android before I moved to Pushbullet, must revisit it, I think I paid for the full version but Pushbullet offered more features so I changed

Right, I've removed Pushbullet from Couchpotato and Sonarr and gone back to NMA. My paid version of NMA is still working as it did but the app has not had an update since Feb 15 and could do with a refresh. I'm not sure how much the paid version was or is now. It's working fine though, the notifications are working well and look much the same.

Edit, I see NMA now has IFTTT integration, time to change my recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My partner's brother told me to give Brain it On a go. It's a physics based game and it's frustrating but good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

I find MightyText is brilliant for responding to texts through the Chrome extension.

Right, I've removed Pushbullet from Couchpotato and Sonarr and gone back to NMA. My paid version of NMA is still working as it did but the app has not had an update since Feb 15 and could do with a refresh. I'm not sure how much the paid version was or is now. It's working fine though, the notifications are working well and look much the same.

Edit, I see NMA now has IFTTT integration, time to change my recipes

Right, scratch all that, reading the Plex subreddit I see Pushover is what I need. You pay a one off fee of a fiver after the 7 day trial for the notification receiving platform, in my case Android. It has many nice features like being able to add the url of your server app into the notifications, add icons and set notification sound.

Just got another email from Pushbullet
    Hello, Pushbullet team here again.

Yesterday you received an email from us about changes we were planning to make regarding automated push activity. We received a lot of great feedback to that email and have concluded based on this feedback that there is a better way to address the growing push volume we're seeing. As a result, you can ignore our previous email. We will not be making changes that target specific services.

Instead of singling out specific services, we are now putting an upper bound of 500 API pushes per month for free Pushbullet accounts. API pushes do not include pushes from services like IFTTT or from Channels or from Pushbullet apps. They are specifically from the use of our public API.

This limit will affect far fewer users than our previous approach so we're very happy with that. This upper bound does not apply to Pro accounts.

Sorry for the lack of clarity to our previous email. I hope this email clears everything up.

Too fcuking late, pushover is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Thanks for the tip, Pushover seems brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

Prisma is now free on Android. It applies some funky effect filters to your photos. I've found a few that make some of my 'meh' photos into something that I want a big print of to hang on the wall.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭Pique

How have you found it? I've a very good internet connection but it's only worked 20% of the time, and when it does it takes ages. I do really like the effects I've managed to use though.

Only got it a couple of days ago. It's worked every time but processing a pic does take about 30+ seconds each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Prisma seems promising, but the length of time it takes to process an image is awful. Does it do it locally or over network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

dulpit wrote: »
    Prisma seems promising, but the length of time it takes to process an image is awful. Does it do it locally or over network?

Works in the cloud I'd say

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yep, they have an AI in the cloud that analyses the image and processes it a certain way based on its analysis. Different for every photo (even with the same filter).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've been looking into these kind of apps for a carpc type setup with an old phone in the project car. Drivemode was one of the apps along with car dash droid, automate and carhome ultra the last is probably my last least favorite and automate my favorite but I haven't been able to test them yet

• Advertisement

My free trial of Pushover just expired and I happily paid for the Android platform. I'm using it for Sonarr, Couchpotato, Nzbget and Plexpy. It's much better than Pushbullet was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

My free trial of Pushover just expired and I happily paid for the Android platform. I'm using it for Sonarr, Couchpotato, Nzbget and Plexpy. It's much better than Pushbullet was

Pushover is great. I have transmission letting me know when a download finishes. What is Plexpy?

nedd wrote: »
    Pushover is great. I have transmission letting me know when a download finishes. What is Plexpy?

It's a third party software that gives you some great info and notifications about Plex. Handy if you share your library. It can do basic notifications like user X started playing such a film etc but I've these disabled. It does more advanced notifications like user X signed in on a new device or user X is streaming to 2 different devices at the same time. It can also notify me if my Plex goes offline. It gives some nice stats and charts too if your into that, the busiest day for my Plex is always Thursday evening

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/169591/plexpy-another-plex-monitoring-program

It lacks a Chrome extension does it not? My needs are simple: Pushbullet displays sms messages to me in my browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭yesJME

Pokemon Go? lol.

It lacks a Chrome extension does it not? My needs are simple: Pushbullet displays sms messages to me in my browser.

There are a good few apps that do that. Airdroid is one, there are others. I don't need that, I just need the Pushover API so my servers can notify me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

There are a good few apps that do that. Airdroid is one, there are others. I don't need that, I just need the Pushover API so my servers can notify me.

I use push over for API notification calls, pushbullet for SMS and notification mirroring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

the one app my friends always say that makes an apple better than an android is apples facetime. or its the one thing that prevents them giving up their iphone. well maybe that will change now with googles duo app. in fairness facetime is a brilliant app and i wish we had it on android. duo is available here now. let me know what you guys think of it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12474996/google-duo-review-video-chat-app-launch

here is a play link too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

emo72 wrote: »
    the one app my friends always say that makes an apple better than an android is apples facetime. or its the one thing that prevents them giving up their iphone. well maybe that will change now with googles duo app. in fairness facetime is a brilliant app and i wish we had it on android. duo is available here now. let me know what you guys think of it.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/16/12474996/google-duo-review-video-chat-app-launch

here is a play link too

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon

What s the difference in facetime, and plain old video calling, which comes as standard on pretty much every android phone?

Every android phone I've ever owned has had it (SGS1-SGS2-4-note3-S6edgePlus) perhaps some don't realise its there, but afaik its a standard feature (as its been standard on all my phones) and they absolutely, work

I have had numerous calls with friends and family on it countless times, and even took a Friday night call from a customer of mine (in his 70s) who "only recently got a new phone" and there he was, as.bright as a button calling me from behind the wheel of his car, blissfully unaware that he was even partaking in a video call. :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I just get 'voice calls cannot be made to this number' after trying 10 different numbers there.

Has the call recipient installed the app also ?

Won't work on landlines, and obviously other end must be on android also?

Strange one.

I've never had a problem with it myself.

Have you good internet connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

What s the difference in facetime, and plain old video calling, which comes as standard on pretty much every android phone?

What video calling is that? Think I have to use Viber or skype for that on an S6 but might've had it on an older phone, can't really remember.

The new app is just Google's version of it which is cross platform with iOS. Nothing ground breaking, they just wanted to have it so that you can just use your phone number to register instead of a Google account so they can gain more users.
    Haven't tried it myself yet but I will at some stage.
    They're releasing another messaging app called Allo or Alo which might be worth checking out. Not out yet but should be following this Duo app soon.

Won't work on landlines, and obviously other end must be on android also?

no. works with apple too! talking to my brother on it now. excellent quality.

i think google are introducing phonecalls soon.

Keith186 wrote: »
    What video calling is that? Think I have to use Viber or skype for that on an S6 but might've had it on an older phone, can't really remember.

The new app is just Google's version of it which is cross platform with iOS. Nothing ground breaking, they just wanted to have it so that you can just use your phone number to register instead of a Google account so they can gain more users.
    Haven't tried it myself yet but I will at some stage.
    They're releasing another messaging app called Allo or Alo which might be worth checking out. Not out yet but should be following this Duo app soon.

Hey.

Here's a screen grab of my phones dialling screen. The camera option is at the bottom left of the screen.

epxGTD.png

emo72 wrote: »
    no. works with apple too! talking to my brother on it now. excellent quality.

Sorry, I meant the default video call function.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement