Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just tried out Cerberus starting yesterday, and as far as anti-theft apps go, it certainly seems to be the best!
    I'd gone through a bunch of them yesterday, and most allowed you to simply uninstall the app, without even asking for a password or anything. ¬_¬
    With Cerberus, you can hide the app from the app tray, and can even flash it from the Recovery, so it essentially becomes part of your rom, meaning that even if they do a factory reset, the app should still run!
    I've mine set so that if someone gets the unlock pattern wrong, it transparently takes their pic and emails it to me. The options from the web console look great too, with the option to do things like have the phone display a custom message, which it will also read aloud, and when they dismiss it, it will take their pic and email it too. :D
    Also, €2.99 for a lifetime license, covering up to 5 devices, is pretty damn good too!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just tried out Cerberus starting yesterday, and as far as anti-theft apps go, it certainly seems to be the best!
    I'd gone through a bunch of them yesterday, and most allowed you to simply uninstall the app, without even asking for a password or anything. ¬_¬
    With Cerberus, you can hide the app from the app tray, and can even flash it from the Recovery, so it essentially becomes part of your rom, meaning that even if they do a factory reset, the app should still run!
    I've mine set so that if someone gets the unlock pattern wrong, it transparently takes their pic and emails it to me. The options from the web console look great too, with the option to do things like have the phone display a custom message, which it will also read aloud, and when they dismiss it, it will take their pic and email it too. :D
    Also, €2.99 for a lifetime license, covering up to 5 devices, is pretty damn good too!!!

Their are too many permissions needed by this app for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thats a fairly arbitrary decision...
    Which permission does it have that it doesnt need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

subway wrote: »
    Thats a fairly arbitrary decision...
    Which permission does it have that it doesnt need?
    read SMS or MMS
    Allows the app to read SMS messages stored on your tablet or SIM card.

read contact data
    Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your tablet.

intercept outgoing calls
    Allows the app to process outgoing calls and change the number to be dialed.

change Wi-Fi state
    Allows the app to connect to and disconnect from Wi-Fi access points, and to make changes to configured Wi-Fi networks.

So I didn't look into it that much but why does it need them?^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

The question was fo the guy who said too many permissions was a reason for not installing an app. Its a nonsense arbiteary reason. Along the lines of saying te name is too long or the icon is too red.
    but, since were here, Its a security app. At a guess...

Read sms to look for commands
    Read contact data to send call logs
    Intercept outgoing calls to stop thief using your credit
    Change wifi to try connec data after receiving a remote command

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

For SMS/MMS it can interpret commands to lock the phone/send location

For contact data im pretty sure you can nominate a number that the commands come from so it has to be able to recognise the number you nominate

Outgoing calls could be related to recording calls made

WiFi is probably for location services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    That looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Will give it a whirl and if it isn't what I'm hoping for I'll look into the NFC tags.

I assume that you're a happy bunny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Re Cerberus

Doesn't Avast do the same things for free? Not that 3 euro is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

RangeR wrote: »
    I assume that you're a happy bunny?

Sure am, it's doing exactly what I needed.

Loving this thread too, I've got Libra and Endomondo to keep an eye on my weight and fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

Is there an App available that changes the sound mode of the phone (silent,loud, etc) depending on what WiFi network you are connected to? I remember hearing on the Tech section on George Hook's show on Newstalk that there is something similar to a dock where you can swipe your phone and it changes the profile (i.e. - one at work to put it to silent/vibrate and one at home to change it to ring etc). Anything along those lines?

I've just got an S3 recently and haven't really had a chance to unleash its full potential yet. Would anyone have any other recommended apps for me? Aside from the hundreds already mentioned in the thread, that is!

I use tasker. Love it, one profile I have is when I'm home it turns on wifi and connects. Then turns off wifi when I leave. In this case it uses cell tower location to determine where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

kerry4sam wrote: »

If your phone is stole it's going to need those permissions to contact you. I would have thought that was pretty obvious, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Apps I've liked recently:
    GNotes - Notes that syncs with Gmail so you don't have to sign up to Evernote or another service (the Memo app was gone in my new JB ROM, and I forgot to back up my few notes anyway)
    Dice Player - Nice video player that actually works in JellyBean (MX Player didn't for some reason)
    Solid Explorer - Really nice dual window file explorer/manager, has root capabilities and can connect to SMB/FTP/Windows shares
    Pirate Bay Browser - :pac:
    SlideIT - Like Swype only better!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

New Star Soccer

Great little game where you create a young player and have to improve his skills and get a better team. Surprisingly addictive, and loads of fun. A little bare on funcionality at times, but for €2.49, it's great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Kiith wrote: »
    New Star Soccer

Great little game where you create a young player and have to improve his skills and get a better team. Surprisingly addictive, and loads of fun. A little bare on funcionality at times, but for €2.49, it's great fun.

I had that and was about 12 seasons into it , changed me rom and forgot to do a backup. haha some game thugh. Gamecih helps a lot with it lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Apps I've liked recently:
    GNotes - Notes that syncs with Gmail so you don't have to sign up to Evernote or another service (the Memo app was gone in my new JB ROM, and I forgot to back up my few notes anyway)

That GNotes looks like a killer app. I found Evernote to be a bit bloated. This is straight to the point and the widgets look great. Now to get all my old notes on to it :(
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    SlideIT - Like Swype only better!

How? I've been using Swype (the beta, not the crappy version that comes built in to some phones) for a couple of years now. I watched the SlideIT video and it didn't seem much different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

These two: Morse-Code & Signals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

That GNotes looks like a killer app. I found Evernote to be a bit bloated. This is straight to the point and the widgets look great. Now to get all my old notes on to it :(

How? I've been using Swype (the beta, not the crappy version that comes built in to some phones) for a couple of years now. I watched the SlideIT video and it didn't seem much different.

With GNotes you can create sort of task lists too (or a list you can tick off what you complete) which is nice.

With Swype I found the cursor jumped around a lot when I tried to place it at the end of a word, it would jump back to the start of the word for some reason, and I could never get rid of the word suggestion bar.
    They were just minor niggles, but there's a free version of SlideIT you can always try out (it does sliding slightly differently in some cases, lik if you're doing a word with a ' in it, like "it's", "I'll" "don't" etc
    In Swype you have to go over the ' key with the pattern but not in SlideIT.
    You can vertically resize SlideIT keyboard too which I like, as Swype took up a lot of screen space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

tok9 wrote: »

Got a few nice ones off this today, the selection has changed since though. Anyone know how often it is changing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭wba88

Got a few nice ones off this today, the selection has changed since though. Anyone know how often it is changing?

daily, approx 8pm our time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Got mSecure today and was impressed with it. Loaded it up with lots of details and was delighted with myself.

I closed out of the app and forgot about it for a while. Went back to update more details and i got into the app without re-entering my password which is was very disappointed with. Didnt seem very secure? Unless you specifically lock it yourself leaving the app your details remain open so does that not defeat the purpose of having this?

Is there a setting/parameter you can update to make this like the mobile banking apps that when you leave, regardless of how you access the app later you need to re-enter the password?

Like the app but think its not quite secure enough to have all my logins/details in etc

If you use this, are you happy with it and how do you use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Lombardo86 wrote: »

Is there a setting/parameter you can update to make this like the mobile banking apps that when you leave, regardless of how you access the app later you need to re-enter the password?

Like the app but think its not quite secure enough to have all my logins/details in etc

You can set it to lock immediately if you want to. You may have had time set for a couple of minutes which I think is default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Lombardo86 wrote: »

You can set it to lock immediately if you want to. You may have had time set for a couple of minutes which I think is default.

Ah I missed that setting.. cheers! Worked. Happier to use it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

the ski game on the 25p sale is very addictive!
    well worth the few pence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

iMediashare

Open the app on your phone. Choose video / music / pictures or any of the sites in their list, like Picasa, CNN, Onion etc. and stream this straight to your Xbox, PS3, XBMC or other DLNA device. Absolutely cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Any recommendations for a really good How To Cook application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Best app to save battery for Samsung S2?? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

closeline wrote: »
    Best app to save battery for Samsung S2?? Thanks
    Juice defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

draffodx wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a really good How To Cook application?

There's no justeat.ie app yet?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Juice defender

I tried that before wasnt great to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I am absolutely loving Go Launcher Ex. You can change and customise your screen. Also like the Go sms. Really cool how you can put passwords on msgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Keith186 wrote: »
    There's no justeat.ie app yet?!

If there was, I wouldn't trust it. Their mobile site is unsecure, even for payment details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anyone buy the Air Control game in the recent sale? Won't open at all for me. Just get a message saying unfortunately Air Control has stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

s_carnage wrote: »
    Anyone buy the Air Control game in the recent sale? Won't open at all for me. Just get a message saying unfortunately Air Control has stopped.

i bought it ages ago, tested it there still working fine..

Try deleting it and redownloading

Yeh works fine for me on SGS II, needs polish and better game modes, not that impressed with it even at 25 cents.

Tried uninstalling it and installed it again but no joy. Just wondering do I need to have the lite version installed for it to work??

Just had a quick look at the reviews. A lot of people are have trouble running it on the S3 with Jelly Bean if that's your set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Tried uninstalling it and installed it again but no joy. Just wondering do I need to have the lite version installed for it to work??

Ye what phone have you got, running fine on my GN

• Advertisement

Aristotle wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at the reviews. A lot of people are have trouble running it on the S3 with Jelly Bean if that's your set up?

That's what I'm using it on. Will probably be a fix for it soon enough so will wait till that's released. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

can someone reccomend a phone tracking app similar to seekdroid..(if i lost the phone or whatever)...

I have been using seekdroid for ages but I have multiple andorid devices now and they want me to pay $4 a month to use more than once device...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Have a look at Cerberus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Have a look at Cerberus.

Or even where's my DROID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'd like to recommend Aix weather widget. For anyone familiar with the very good yr.no weather app that takes it's data from the creepily accurate Norwegian weather... ehh... institute(?), well this is a widget that displays the same meteogram from that app, but in all it's handy widgety goodness. You can also have multiple meteograms (what, that's totally a real word), for various cities, if you travel a lot between places... or have recently invented a weather machine themed doomsday device and are running it through it's initial real world testing stage.

Oh, also, can anyone recommend me any other cool little widgets besides the usual weather, calendar, clock, social media stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Anyone know why have they removed categories from the Play Store? You can only see Top Free now where you used to be able to see Top Paid, etc.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Anyone know why have they removed categories from the Play Store? You can only see Top Free now where you used to be able to see Top Paid, etc.

No change for me, can see top free and top paid no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

draffodx wrote: »
    No change for me, can see top free and top paid no problem.

Weird. I even get it with the app on my phone. I can only see Top Free and Top New Free (and Trending), but nothing about the top paid apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

For a cool ringtone app google "audiko".
    Not available on the market so if installing make sure you have unknown sources ticked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Can anyone recommend an app to stop adware. I don't know where I got it or how to get rind of it but some adware keeps popping up adds on my phone offering me stuff. I think it may be slowing it down as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭Keith186

Can anyone recommend an app to stop adware. I don't know where I got it or how to get rind of it but some adware keeps popping up adds on my phone offering me stuff. I think it may be slowing it down as well.

AdAway seems to be the best one now I switched to it from AdFree and its better.

You need to be rooted though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement