Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Keith186 wrote: »
    AdAway seems to be the best one now I switched to it from AdFree and its better.

You need to be rooted though.

thanks. New phone and havent rooted it yet. I will see what people suggest and if i cant find one without rooting I will just have to root it.
    Thanks for you help

Generally has to be rooted as the apps edit the hosts file.. Just like on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jonny_b1

Can someone tell me the difference between the FilmOn live TV app and the FilmOn X app, I can't see it, have both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

jonny_b1 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the difference between the FilmOn live TV app and the FilmOn X app, I can't see it, have both.

I think Film On X is just an update with all of the channels working whereas I found a few bugs on the original app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Jetpack Joyride
    Fantastic infinite running game like Canabalt or Tiny Wing.
    The music is great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can anyone recommend an app to stop adware. I don't know where I got it or how to get rind of it but some adware keeps popping up adds on my phone offering me stuff. I think it may be slowing it down as well.
    Do you mean ads are popping up in the notification bar? Download air push detector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

BBC Good Food - Recipes

Quite a good app, with a lot of recipes free to download at the minute, supposedly will be 1.49 per "cookbook" soon.

Mixed reviews but I have found it works well on my Galaxy S2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Do you mean ads are popping up in the notification bar? Download air push detector

Thanks got it sorted. I can't see aertv so i was told it was because i had no flash. I download swf flash and this is what was causing the adds. i deleted it and they are gone. thanks for the help.

Quazzie wrote: »

I think Film On X is just an update with all of the channels working whereas I found a few bugs on the original app.

Ok if I go to the Film X app it redirects me to download the Film On app :-) crisis over

Major Mayhem, top notch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Bad Piggies seems pretty good. Latest release from Rovio of Angry Birds fame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Major Mayhem, top notch
    That's work sorted for the next week. Great game

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

What's the best free keyboard at the mo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Major Mayhem, top notch

Great game - hours of timewasting potential :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What's the best free keyboard at the mo?

think theres a trial of swiftkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    can anyone recommend a music mixing app? something like this

Just for messing around at home with and the possibility to record my mix.
    thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Does anyone know what's going on witt FilmOn TV? It stopped working last Friday and it wasn't available to redownload from Play store, but reappeared as a new download then yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

threein99 wrote: »
    think theres a trial of swiftkey

pay for it...it's bloody fantastic..
    I hated the default s3 one and downloaded swiftkey..love it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Blazer wrote: »

Swiftkey=excellent!!

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »

Yea its well worth the money , miles better than anything else on the market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Witnessmenow has made his Argos Stock checker into an Android app, very handy site, haven't had a tinker with the app yet, but any issues can be reported on the Boards Thread

And heres the Link to Play Store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Quazzie wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's going on witt FilmOn TV? It stopped working last Friday and it wasn't available to redownload from Play store, but reappeared as a new download then yesterday.

i don't what's going on with it now or that or if this is even any help to you but i know before there were a few of them & the one i had stopped working.

It was called FilmOn Free TV Sports News, it doesn't come up anymore searching Play from a laptop but i can see it from the Play app in My Apps > All

anyway the one i installed then was FilmOn Online TV it's working now for me i'm after checking it

it's from the same devs. as the other one i had & all they've now is the Online TV one, FilmOnX
    & the battlecam one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

threein99 wrote: »
    Yea its well worth the money , miles better than anything else on the market

Eh, Swype is miles faster and free

It's not everyones taste tho, there is a learning curve but it's worth it

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eh, Swype is miles faster and free

It's not everyones taste tho, there is a learning curve but it's worth it

Each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

been using swiftkey for a while, tried swype before and though meh but looking at that vid....

could be worth another go, some nice features although maybe i'm not looking hard enough for the right settings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah, each to their own, my wife loves Swiftkey. You need to give Swype lots of time, it has a huge learning curve. Being very familiar with a qwerty is an advantage but you need to watch the tutorials, start slow and you'll gain speed eventually. They have now added most of the features from Swiftkey, it now imports dictionary words and contact names from your Contacts, Sms, Facebook and Twitter etc. It's word predictions are now on par with Swiftkey but the swyping input is where it blows it away. You can input words that are not in the dictionary by tapping them in Swiftkey style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Surprised this hasn't got a mention on this thread so far, it probably has been mentioned on the Maritime \ Sailing & Boating forums.

marinetrafficdotcom.pngMarineTraffic.com by dlek.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marinetraffic

---

Living on the coast? ..ever looked out your window and wondered what ship was passing by..?

Just about every detail you could want is listed, the year the ship was built, a roster of ports visited\to be visited, tonnage, cargo type, direction, speed, lenght, weight, flag ship is flying under, links to photo galleries.. and more.

The app uses the Automatic Identification System (AIS), ship positions are live, updated every few seconds.

I've used the website for years, but only recently started using the app.

Simple and functional interface, if you're after shiny bevels and plenty of bling bling, you'll be disappointed.

Great app.

There's nothing much in Dublin Bay at the moment, so here's a detail of the Docks..

Second picture, I've clicked on and brought up the detail sheet for the, 'Cementina', a cargo ship that's currently stationary in the port.

dublindocksmtfdetail.jpg

dublindockcementinasmtf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 today, so you'll be seeing me a lot in this thread over the next week or two! :D

Question for ye - what's the best (free) music player? And how do ye keep music organised, etc? :confused:

Despite its faults, having had iPhones for a while now, I grew fond of iTunes as a means of organising my music. Could be a case of Stockholm Syndrome :p, but I'm not enamored by the drag + drop stuff anymore. I presume there's a clever way of doing things with Android devices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Dave! wrote: »
    Just got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 today, so you'll be seeing me a lot in this thread over the next week or two! :D

Question for ye - what's the best (free) music player? And how do ye keep music organised, etc? :confused:

Despite its faults, having had iPhones for a while now, I grew fond of iTunes as a means of organising my music. Could be a case of Stockholm Syndrome :p, but I'm not enamored by the drag + drop stuff anymore. I presume there's a clever way of doing things with Android devices?

Each to their own, i use double twist as it combines the podcasts and music in the same place. its a bit pricey but worth it i think

Also can use it with itunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just got the S3 the other week too :D I had all my tunes in Itunes and no way in hell was i sorting it again.

Easy Phone Sync.... Downloaded It, Plugged In The Phone To PC And It Transfered All My Tunes Exactly As Listed In Itunes. Happy Days.

Everytime i add an album, i just plug it in and it updates it.

• Advertisement

Been using an app called "android tablet videos" . It's an app of a YouTube channel where a guy posts video tips for specifically the nexus 7 and transformer tabs but has lots of tips on android os.

naughtb4 wrote: »

Each to their own, i use double twist as it combines the podcasts and music in the same place. its a bit pricey but worth it i think

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just got the S3 the other week too :D I had all my tunes in Itunes and no way in hell was i sorting it again.

Easy Phone Sync.... Downloaded It, Plugged In The Phone To PC And It Transfered All My Tunes Exactly As Listed In Itunes. Happy Days.

Everytime i add an album, i just plug it in and it updates it.

+1 on this, quality app for those of us still stuck with iTunes. One problem I noticed was that when you add a song to a playlist whilst syncing that playlist, it screws it up. But it's easily avoided.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

www.mightytext.net
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.texty.sms&hl=en

Use your PC to send and receive texts - from your phone - just synced to your browser!

If they could do this with Whatsapp I would be very very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭smackyB

Zascar wrote: »
    www.mightytext.net

Use your PC to send and receive texts - from your phone - just synced to your browser!

+1 on MightyText, just started using it this morning - very impressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Zascar wrote: »
    www.mightytext.net

Check the user agreement, it's a bit Slim Shady.. Sharing of your browsing history and other data with third parties.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Honestly I really do not care. Seriously, what's the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

Amalgam wrote: »
    Check the user agreement, it's a bit Slim Shady.. Sharing of your browsing history and other data with third parties.

I just set this up to see what it looked like and it has synced all my SMS messages to the web, obviously enough as this is what it says it will do. Now i'm worried what they will do with them.... too late of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

nedd wrote: »
    I just set this up to see what it looked like and it has synced all my SMS messages to the web, obviously enough as this is what it says it will do. Now i'm worried what they will do with them.... too late of course.

Your personal information? Probably nothing. They don't care about you, what they care about is thousands or hundreds of thousands of people's information in aggregate... I wouldn't be worried - what do you think they'll do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have been using MightText for a while now. Love this app. A perfect example of why I love the Android platform. When I arrive in work, I keep my phone in my pocket on silent. If I get a call, I get a pop-up box on my computer to let me know who is calling. If I get a text, it's on-screen and I can reply via my computer (it's still sending the text via your phone, so usual call charges apply). Occasional little buggies, but otherwise a great app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Have been using MightText for a while now. Love this app. A perfect example of why I love the Android platform. When I arrive in work, I keep my phone in my pocket on silent. If I get a call, I get a pop-up box on my computer to let me know who is calling. If I get a text, it's on-screen and I can reply via my computer (it's still sending the text via your phone, so usual call charges apply). Occasional little buggies, but otherwise a great app.

I downloaded MightyText a while back and I'm not as impressed with it as I was before. It's too glitchy. Sometimes messages don't pop up, can take ages for send confirmation to arrive back, the message times relate to the time they are sent from the phone to the computer as opposed to time sent/received, old messages can pop up etc. Sometimes it crashes or refuses to open.

It's not a bad app but needs a bit of work. I notice it's been recently updated so we'll see if it's been improved.

I'm giving this Mighty Text a go now. Just one example of it's practical use that I think might be pretty cool, is that if you were to leave your phone at home when you went to work, you would still be able to read texts you had received and send replies. If that is possible, it's pretty darn neat!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'm giving this Mighty Text a go now. Just one example of it's practical use that I think might be pretty cool, is that if you were to leave your phone at home when you went to work, you would still be able to read texts you had received and send replies. If that is possible, it's pretty darn neat!

Yes, what you've described above is possible with the app, the interface is nice and it's easy enough to use despite some of the problems I mentioned above. You'll need to leave your phone connected to the net via wifi or operator network. It's a good idea to secure your phone with a screenlock if you haven't already done so if you plan to leave the phone alone!

Yes, what you've described above is possible with the app, the interface is nice and it's easy enough to use despite some of the problems I mentioned above. You'll need to leave your phone connected to the net via wifi or operator network. It's a good idea to secure your phone with a screenlock if you haven't already done so if you plan to leave the phone alone!

Ah yes I'm fairly well protected in that respect. Don't plan on leaving it alone, but it does happen from time to time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anybody looking for a clean twitter app with push notifications and lots of options check out Tweetings. Looks really nice and even takes advantage of JB notification actions.
    Frequently updated too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Stickman Golf is pretty addictive have been playing it for a few weeks now and am not bored of it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nedd

donalg1 wrote: »
    Stickman Golf is pretty addictive have been playing it for a few weeks now and am not bored of it yet.

Super Stickman Golf?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.ssg&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ub29kbGVjYWtlLnNzZyJd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

just out of curiousity reagarding MightyText,

screen on phone of a mate is borked, no way of seeing it (wire broke when replacing screen) if MightyText is installed from play store does it need setting up on the phone?

I'm assuming yes and if so is there any other apps that would have the same kinda features but require little or no set up on the phone?

EDIT i installed it (dunno why never thought of that before asking) and although there are only a 3 steps i don't think it will work

• Advertisement

danniemcq wrote: »
    just out of curiousity reagarding MightyText,

screen on phone of a mate is borked, no way of seeing it (wire broke when replacing screen) if MightyText is installed from play store does it need setting up on the phone?

I'm assuming yes and if so is there any other apps that would have the same kinda features but require little or no set up on the phone?

EDIT i installed it (dunno why never thought of that before asking) and although there are only a 3 steps i don't think it will work

I've been developing an app that offers similar functionality to MightyText, if he really needs to retrieve his text messages I might be able to help him out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement