Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Chinpool wrote: »
    Yep. Great app. Free for the 1st year then about 80 cents per year.
    The WhatsApp+ mod on XDA is a nicer version of it
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1624514

ive had it free for 4 years, anytime the "free" version comes to an end it just gives me another free year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ive had it free for 4 years, anytime the "free" version comes to an end it just gives me another free year

Wizards :pac:
    Although ive a month left. Lets see do I get this magic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Yep. Great app. Free for the 1st year then about 80 cents per year.
    The WhatsApp+ mod on XDA is a nicer version of it
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1624514

I've this installed since day zero of getting my very first Android.

Have not paid a cent for it, ever :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

80 cents a year for free texts is probably a good deal in my book ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Temple Run 2.
    Very impressive graphics for a freebie and no ads either, (although power ups are purchasable) Tilt response could be better though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Ghandee wrote: »
    I've this installed since day zero of getting my very first Android.

Have not paid a cent for it, ever :confused:

Me too - in fact only last week got a notification that it was extended for another year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good keyboard that predicts words, but works in every text field? I use swiftkey, but it doesn't give me predictions when typing on boards, or internet forums. Just for messages.

bit late but kii works great for me in all fields even ones that swiftkey didn't.

Whatsapp, The Winrar of Android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

gnarlyone wrote: »
    Superhexagon is v good. Challenging game, really unique. Nice thats its by an irish developer. Thats why I originally downloaded Asterism too, from an irish developer. Its great thats there's plenty of Irish apps popping up.

How do you play this game. Its impossible!! Been playing it for 20 minutes and the best I can get is 6.58 seconds. I can't even get beyond level 1
    Any tips on how to progress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Whatsapp is the killer app for smartphones... Its the most practical useful app ever. I would have no problem paying for it, but I don't want to associate my cc with my account. I've never needed any paid for app that didn't have an equally useful free alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Whatsapp is the killer app for smartphones... Its the most practical useful app ever. I would have no problem paying for it, but I don't want to associate my cc with my account. I've never needed any paid for app that didn't have an equally useful free alternative.

I'm on Android and have never had to pay for it (so far). Is it rue that they start to charge after 1 year for use of it?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

madmoe wrote: »

I'm on Android and have never had to pay for it (so far). Is it rue that they start to charge after 1 year for use of it?

Cheers,
    M
    Well I've had it 3 years and never paid a penny. They charge the filthy rich iphone people so maybe that's why we get it free...

madmoe wrote: »

Cheers,
    M

You are supposed to pay every year, but they generally send you a text each year to say that they have reactivated your account for free...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You are supposed to pay every year, but they generally send you a text each year to say that they have reactivated your account for free...

they never ask for payment - and don't even tell you how to! So saying supposed to is a bit of a stretch! I'd view it more as a donation! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Dont know how you lot are getting away with it, I had to pay €0.99 last November via Google Wallet :confused:

Anyone mind telling me what you see if you go to Settings->Account->Payment Info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

How does WhatsApp compare to VIber?

Viber is great for making calls over a data/wifi connection. Whatsapp is for sending text messages, images, music movies over data/wifi.

I'm not sure how good Viber is as is is blocked where I live, but Whatsapp's success is that it is across most platforms and is abvailable to everyone... It is so widespread that most people have it these days + it's simple to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'll give it a spin then.

JohnK wrote: »
    Dont know how you lot are getting away with it, I had to pay €0.99 last November via Google Wallet :confused:

Anyone mind telling me what you see if you go to Settings->Account->Payment Info?

not signed up with google wallet myself - but am linked in the playstore to my card.

This is my payment info. if I click the link it take me to purchase a subscription. but as you can see it resubscribes itself for free!

picture.php?albumid=1111&pictureid=14481

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thats very odd that its resubscribing for the rest of you yet wouldn't do it for me without payment. I'm being screwed! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ive had whatsapp on my S3 since last May and for over a year before that on the Iphone, never had to pay a penny. I would have no problem paying for it though, its one of my most used apps since i have a few friends living abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I assume to text someone using Whatsapp, they must also have the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

dulpit wrote: »

Yes

dulpit wrote: »

when you install it shows all contacts that have it installed too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I downloaded that personal assistant app and I'm not satisfied with the responses I get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

SuprSi wrote: »
    It's well worth 99c to be honest

Screenshot_2013-01-24-21-31-31.png

Certainly was, thanks for the heads-up. Also loving Falcon.

724085287.png?key=7201280&Expires=1359415842&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=nxdvwiP2I~NMh46akPBatPXtCfzS6NGJit9tBT26X-4icXikGXLN3dd~q7B9PPY7lr2pDe1El110UOJW14kmxw3VPLAFP5vSsoRsltX6TUSIjV0YnC1obWN7XtvKx0g30AEjnT~yfAIjUNz7XP7Fo606CIpWRSO4wa3yxhH7aKY_

Keep the recommendations coming folks!

I need to change numbers soon. is there an app that makes it a simpler process? Suppose theres nothing that could divert texts and phonecalls to my new number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Mascher wrote: »
    I need to change numbers soon. is there an app that makes it a simpler process? Suppose theres nothing that could divert texts and phonecalls to my new number?
    What's happening to the old number?

RangeR wrote: »
    What's happening to the old number?

Stalker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If you want to divert all your calls and texts from the old number to the new one, what's the point in changing your number?!

Your network provider can divert calls. No way to divert texts, that I know of, and it's doubtful there would be an app for that as it would need to be implemented by the network as that's where the message goes to.

chrislad wrote: »
    If you want to divert all your calls and texts from the old number to the new one, what's the point in changing your number?!

Your network provider can divert calls. No way to divert texts, that I know of, and it's doubtful there would be an app for that as it would need to be implemented by the network as that's where the message goes to.

My guess is that when OP changes his number, he won't own the old number.

OP, of this is the case, there is nothing you can do. If you have the option of running both numbers at the same time [maybe port the old to PAYG], it's very easy. It's not possible if it's not legally yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

RangeR wrote: »
    My guess is that when OP changes his number, he won't own the old number.

OP, of this is the case, there is nothing you can do. If you have the option of running both numbers at the same time [maybe port the old to PAYG], it's very easy. It's not possible if it's not legally yours.

But if he doesn't own the number, then he won't be able to divert as that would render the person who does own the number (assuming that's the case) being unable to receive any calls.

Either way, there's no way to do what the OP wants to do with both calls and texts. Bear in mind that if you do divert calls, you will be charged. Normally, it's the same cost (eg an O2 phone diverted to an O2 phone would be 30c per min, but if you had free O2 calls, it would be free)

chrislad wrote: »
    But if he doesn't own the number, then he won't be able to divert as that would render the person who does own the number (assuming that's the case) being unable to receive any calls.

Either way, there's no way to do what the OP wants to do with both calls and texts. Bear in mind that if you do divert calls, you will be charged. Normally, it's the same cost (eg an O2 phone diverted to an O2 phone would be 30c per min, but if you had free O2 calls, it would be free)

I know. However, if the old number is a company number [whom he works for], the number may go unused for days or weeks. So technically, a forward could be setup and Cabbage could be used for forward SMS's for a time. This is still not allowed.

There are many use cases. I summarised by saying it wasn't possible, legally.

eoferrall wrote: »
    they never ask for payment - and don't even tell you how to! So saying supposed to is a bit of a stretch! I'd view it more as a donation! :p

the latest update gives you the payment option in settings

danniemcq wrote: »
    Stalker?

My own number is now out of contract. My job has given me a phone and i can use it as I please, so may as well cancel the contract on my own number and save a few quid by just using my wok phone. However i cant be bothered carrying two phones around.

• Advertisement

My own number is now out of contract. My job has given me a phone and i can use it as I please, so may as well cancel the contract on my own number and save a few quid by just using my wok phone. However i cant be bothered carrying two phones around.

can you not use your old number as your work phone number?

or just switch sims?

Is recommend taking a look at Action Launcher since it was updated last night. Really done well and the covers take on folders is a great idea. Very smooth now too.
    Slightly expensive though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Retroarch has been ported to Android. It's an emulator that plays games from almost every games system. Definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Carbon for android is due any day now keep your eyes peeled there is a 100k token limit.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Carbon for android is due any day now keep your eyes peeled there is a 100k token limit.

Seen the preview videos. Looks gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Seen the preview videos. Looks gorgeous

So it backs up your phone when your not on root?Is there anything else it does?

So it backs up your phone when your not on root?Is there anything else it does?

Not the backup app. The twitter app

Just got word carbon is going live in the next hour keep an eye out

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Just got word carbon is going live in the next hour keep an eye out

Published about 20 minutes ago.
    Now we play the waiting game.....

How long i wonder lol.. IT will hit its token limit in minutes.have to be on the ball:D

After all that its only ok,like falcon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Linik is not working or me,anyone else?

got it working just there

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Linik is not working or me,anyone else?

got it working just there
    Working fine for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its a really pretty Twitter client, lovely animations. Far nicer than Twitters own app anyway ;)

They had a nice application on Windows Phone, but this is miles ahead

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement