Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd never heard of the Carbon app. It's beautiful!

Now, if someone can come up with something half as decent as that for facebook, that'd be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I think that carbon app is poor TBH..

It takes a few secs on my SG3 to load up peoples pictures and links etc. A bit annoying..I prefer Tweetdeck but Im getting a bit sick of it now,I might try falcon out

One more thing on Carbon,I refreshed the page maybe 10 or 20 times and it gave me a timeout,where I couldnt refresh for 8 minutes..haha thats having a laugh..I just deleted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It works great for me. Very simplistic. The only thing I miss is that Falcon opened Web pages in the app rather than using the browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kev. wrote: »
    One more thing on Carbon,I refreshed the page maybe 10 or 20 times and it gave me a timeout,where I couldnt refresh for 8 minutes..haha thats having a laugh..I just deleted it
    You can blame twitters new api policy for that one. New apps are given a set amount of tokens and each one is only allowed 15 checks in a 15 minute period. Older apps wouldstill get to use the older policy for now bbut I think that expires in April or around then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It takes a few secs on my SG3 to load up peoples pictures and links etc. A bit annoying..I prefer Tweetdeck but Im getting a bit sick of it now,I might try falcon out

The first load might take a second or two. I pressume it will cache them on local memory after for quick access. It runs buttery smooth on my note 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Carbon seems quite nice. I did notice a weird thing last night, when I refreshed after not looking for a good length of time, it would initially show me the most recent tweets, then as it refreshes the older ones would appear, so as I scrolled through tweets I would see recent tweets, then older tweets, then back to recent tweets again.

I was in crappy crappy network, and there was a lot of superbowl tweets going on at same time - so maybe that was it. I have benched my go-to twitter app for the last 2/3 years though (Tweakdeck), so that's a good sign...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I looked at twitter once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Not impressed with it either. I'm a Falcon Pro user.
    To me, Carbon is all flash animation and no functionality.
    If you want to get to favourites, lists or trends you have to press the 3 button menu and then the action you want from there.
    In Falcon Pro, all these are one swipe either left or right from your timeline.
    No built-in browser is a pretty big omission.

I get the impression that this has been rushed out to the Market as their hand was forced by Koush and his wonderful Carbon back-up apk app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I looked at twitter once...

go to twitter,
    sub to people you like

download flipboard

be amazed

• Advertisement

Also with all this talk of Carbon, i'm gonna confuse this thread up

Carbon Backup or Titanium Backup

Phone is rooted so not really bothered and have used Titanium before. Trying to figure which one to purchase.

I've used titanium (full) before and it was really nice and powerful. Carbon haven't really played with it yet and from what i can see is the only bonus is no need for root.

Anyone else played with both able to give any differences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Carbon doesn't seem to be working on Nexus 7. It says it's not compatible with tablets.

Downloaded it for S3 and well impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Comic viewer roundup!
    ACV - nice but did not load some bigger .cbr/.cbz files
    Perfect Viewer - functional but menu system is a nightmare
    Komik - new fave! Nice Holo layout/menus, couple of must have features like hiding notification bar.
    Open Comic Reader - similar to Komic but in early stages, I think Komik has ads (not for me, AdFree) but this doesn't.

One I didn't try:
    ComicRack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

danniemcq wrote: »
    Also with all this talk of Carbon, i'm gonna confuse this thread up

Carbon Backup or Titanium Backup

Phone is rooted so not really bothered and have used Titanium before. Trying to figure which one to purchase.

I've used titanium (full) before and it was really nice and powerful. Carbon haven't really played with it yet and from what i can see is the only bonus is no need for root.

Anyone else played with both able to give any differences?

Ive Titanium Backup and that has never failed me. Titanium backup also has cloud backup, I usually set it to go off at night over WiFi.

Carbon does look more for the average Joe though. Has a nice and simple interface. I've yet to have a chance at restoring its back ups though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sky+ has been updated today to allow you to access your planner and control the box via your phone/tablet.

However I think the box needs to be connected to the phone line in order to get it to work, otherwise you seem to get the message "Cannot find a compatible Sky+ HD box on this network".

Has anyone got it to work on an unconnected box ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Sky+ has been updated today to allow you to access your planner and control the box via your phone/tablet.

However I think the box needs to be connected to the phone line in order to get it to work, otherwise you seem to get the message "Cannot find a compatible Sky+ HD box on this network".

Nope. Mine is not connected and wont recognise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

surely it has to be connected to the same network via the LAN port and not the phone line.

irishgeo wrote: »

surely it has to be connected to the same network via the LAN port and not the phone line.

The device and box to the LAN port, no. They should be able to see each other once on the same network no matter how they're connected. In the FAQS there's no mention of a requirement for a active telephone line connection but there's plenty of happy people on the play store and the only issue I can think of is I'm not connected to phone line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It needs to be on the phone line (same with remote record, which is by far the best feature of the app!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

slide messaging updated today and is no longer working for me

Mr E wrote: »
    It needs to be on the phone line (same with remote record, which is by far the best feature of the app!)

i remenber using the first versions of remote record app and i never had to connect my box to the phone line for it to work.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Remote record doesn't need a phone line, I use it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

My Sky plus app doesn't recognize a Sky HD box either,although they are both connection to the same network. No phone line connected though.

I've emailed Sky there now to see what's what. I'll come back with their reply when I get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I stand corrected. Sorry guys. :o

Is anyone's on demand down? Mine is and I just connected my line and the app still can't see my box so I wonder if the fact on demand service connection has a status of fail and I can't connect are related, I suspect they are.

Is anyone's on demand down? Mine is and I just connected my line and the app still can't see my box so I wonder if the fact on demand service connection has a status of fail and I can't connect are related, I suspect they are.
    Just checked mine there, works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I've never had my sky box connected to the phone, just my network. As long as my phone is on the wifi I can control it.

I've never had my sky box connected to the phone, just my network. As long as my phone is on the wifi I can control it.

Control with what?

Anyway, a reboot sorted my on demand, rebooted the router too and connected the phone line but no joy, the app is not picking up my box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

From Engadget article:
    The update meanders out from today, and will work so long as your Sky+HD box is connected to the same WiFi network as your phone or tablet.

Yes, the issue is that it's not spotting boxes on the same network.

• Advertisement

Yes, the issue is that it's not spotting boxes on the same network.

you sure you dont have device wireless isolation on in your router which means devices on your router cant see each other.

It's a possibility if it's been like that as a default setting so that's something I need to check, seems to be a common enough issue though.

Sky sent me the following... Still can't get it to work mind!

The issue you are experiencing can be caused by a number of factors. Following the steps below should help you to resolve the issue.

Step 1: To switch Sharing ON within your Set Top Box using the Sky remote control:

NOTE: Not all Set Top Boxes have this option within your settings, if you do not have the Sharing option please move on to the next step.

Press the Services button on your Sky remote and using the Left arrow, highlight Parental and press Select
    Once you have entered your 4 digit PIN number, highlight Sharing using the arrows keys and press Select
    Share what is on this box displays, using the Left or Right arrows turn the setting ON
    Press the Green button to save settings.

Press the Sky button at the top of the remote control to return to normal viewing and try accessing the Sky+ App service again. If you continue to experience issues please continue with below process.

Step 2: Refresh wireless network connection

Locate and access the Settings application on your iPad and select the Wi-Fi option
    From your list of networks click the blue circle on your home wireless network, click Forget this Network and then Forget
    From your list of networks select your home wireless network and you will be asked for a password, your password will be referred to as a Network Key/Passphrase on the bottom of your router. Enter your network password exactly as it is displayed on the bottom of your router and click Join
    You should now see a tick next to your home wireless network to confirm you are connected.

Step 3: Check if the broadband network connection is enabled on your Set Top Box

Please ensure that the App and the HD STB are on the same network.

Press the Services button on your Sky remote control then press Select button
    Using the Right arrow key scroll along to highlight Customise and press Select button
    Using the Down arrow key scroll down to highlight Broadband Network Connection
    Broadband network connection will be set to either On or Off
    If the broadband network connection is set Off, use the Right or Left arrow key and change the option to On
    Press the Green button to save new settings.

(It is worth noting that other upnp devices in the household can affect the asp connecting to the STB, if you know if you have any other upnp devices or Apps please turn or force close these to see if that fixes the problem.)

Press the Sky button at the top of the remote control to return to normal viewing and try accessing the Sky+ App service again. If you continue to experience issues please continue with below process.

Step 4: Checking the network connection on the Set Top Box

Press the Services button on your Sky remote control and using the Right arrow key scroll to the right to highlight Settings and press Select button
    Using the Right arrow key scroll to the right to highlight Network and press the Select button
    Press the Red button to reset the network settings
    You will now get an on screen message Searching for local network.

If you are using a wired connection to your Sky+ HD box:

Once the network connection has been established you should see 4 options confirming the connection has been made:

Local connection - OK
    Service connection - OK
    IP address – 192.168.0.xxx (this number will be different if you do not have Sky Broadband)
    DHCP - ON

If you are using a wireless connection to your Sky+ HD box:

You will have a list of available wireless networks
    Use your Down arrow key to highlight the your wireless network and press the Select button
    Enter your broadband network key found on the bottom of your router and press the Select button
    You will now get an on screen message Connecting to local network.

Once the network connection has been established you should see 7 options confirming the connection has been made:

Local connection - OK
    Service connection - OK
    IP address – 192.168.0.xxx (this number will be different if you do not have Sky Broadband)
    DHCP - ON
    Network name
    Signal strength
    Encryption type

If you do not get the settings above please follow the below process to reset your Anytime+ Wireless adaptor.

How to reset the wireless adaptor for your Sky+ HD box

With the Anytime+ Wireless adaptor switch on locate the Reset button on the back of the adaptor
    Using the pin, paperclip or pen press and hold the Reset button in for 15 seconds and then release
    After releasing the reset button please allow up to 3 minutes for the adaptor to reset
    Press the Services button on your Sky remote control and using the Right arrow key scroll to the right to highlight Settings and press Select button
    Using the Right arrow key scroll along to right to highlight Network and press the Select button
    Press the Red button to reset the network settings
    You will now get an on screen message Searching for local network

You will have a list of available wireless networks
    Use your Down arrow key to highlight the Wireless network you want to connect to and press the Select button
    Enter your broadband network key found on the bottom of your router and press the Select button
    You will now get an on screen message Connecting to local network

Once the network connection has been established you should see 7 options confirming the connection has been made:

Local connection - OK
    Service connection - OK
    DHCP - ON
    Network name
    Signal strength
    Encryption type

Step 5: Updating the software update on the Sky+ HD box

NOTE: Before completing this process please be aware that on some occasion’s programmes that are due to be recorded or have series link set may have to deleted and set up again after you have completed this process.

This next process will stop any current programme from being recorded so if you are currently recording a programme or a programme is about to start record you may wish to leave these next steps once the recording has completed.

Switch your Sky+ HD box to standby by pressing the Power button at the top right hand corner of the remote control
    When the box is on standby you should see an amber or red light will show on the right hand side of the box
    Leave the box on standby for 2 minutes
    Unplug the Sky+ HD box only from the power supply
    On top of the box there is a selection of buttons usually found in the centre of the box
    Press and hold the button the Backup button
    Continue holding the Backup button and plug the box back into the power supply
    Please continue holding the Backup button on the box until you get the following message on your TV screen:

UPDATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE
    Do not disconnect from the mains supply or satellite dish
    This may take up to 10 minutes

When this message appears on your TV screen you can release the Backup button on the box
    Leave your box for approximately 15 minutes
    After 15 minutes have passed press the Sky button on the remote control
    If the phone line is not connected you will be presented with an on screen message to use the full range of services please ensure and operating telephone line is connected
    Press the Backup button on the remote control to continue
    The Sky Help Channel will appear on your TV screen and you can return to your normal viewing selection.

Now you should be able to use the Sky+ App service again. If you continue to experience issues reply to this email and we will have someone contact you about this issue. Could you please supply us a preferred contact number and time preference and we will do our best to contact you at the desired time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

slide messaging updated today and is no longer working for me
    It's working ok for me, what's wrong with it?
    Maybe a clear data will help but backup your texts first, I don't know if clearing data will delete them.
    SMS Backup+ is great for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BopNiblets wrote: »
    It's working ok for me, what's wrong with it?
    Maybe a clear data will help but backup your texts first, I don't know if clearing data will delete them.
    SMS Backup+ is great for this.

i meant to edit that i got 2 updates, turned out unclicking then reclicking notifications sorted it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

4oD android app released. Only works over WiFi and for non-rooted phones.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.channel4.ondemand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ongarite wrote: »

Yoink. Thank you, might be something for lunchtime at work...

Why do they impose the wi-fi only limit I wonder? If you're willing to hammer your cap, that should be your decision...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

And there's no problem with it working in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

It doesnt seem to work either if you have your tablet tethered from a phone. Bit of a pain.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Yoink. Thank you, might be something for lunchtime at work...

Why do they impose the wi-fi only limit I wonder? If you're willing to hammer your cap, that should be your decision...

doubt they care about your cap what they care about is probably the quality you receive.

people with crappy 3g trying to stream are gonna have a bad time with it whereas if they say wifi only you are gonna have better service.

Seems to be ok here, you get a pile of ads before a show but that's to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

whats the deal with the apps lately having a non-rooted requirement? the sky go app was the same when it was released
    4od and SkyGo would be handy on my tablet but its a HP touchpad so is obviously rooted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

neacy69 wrote: »
    whats the deal with the apps lately having a non-rooted requirement? the sky go app was the same when it was released
    4od and SkyGo would be handy on my tablet but its a HP touchpad so is obviously rooted

The fear of people obtaining access to media with paying the provider.

keano_afc wrote: »
    And there's no problem with it working in Ireland?

Its ad supported unlike the iplayer

iplayer only supported by TV licence so because we don't pay for it we don't get it (without difficulty!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

RangeR wrote: »
    The fear of people obtaining access to media with paying the provider.

sure you need a login for a valid account for sky go surely this wouldnt change just cause you have a rooted device and 4oD is free to access anyway...I reckon it must be something to do with all the unlicensed devices from China or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

It's because A) They can't guarantee its stability on custom firmware and B)They don't want you setting up some root only app that lets you record the content. There's certain kernels that allow you to temporally un-root, Siyah being one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

neacy69 wrote: »
    sure you need a login for a valid account for sky go surely this wouldnt change just cause you have a rooted device and 4oD is free to access anyway...I reckon it must be something to do with all the unlicensed devices from China or something

"Jiggery Pokery" [technical term] can be performed outside of the providers control. That no likey that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

griffdaddy wrote: »
    It's because A) They can't guarantee its stability on custom firmware and B)They don't want you setting up some root only app that lets you record the content. There's certain kernels that allow you to temporally un-root, Siyah being one.

c)

they don't want you using TV-out to your telly

do yourselves a favour and get a Linux sat box, easy to setup and can stream without problem to every device I possess, even set up a dynamic DNS and can access the box remotely on my phone or tablet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

griffdaddy wrote: »
    There's certain kernels that allow you to temporally un-root, Siyah being one.
    That doesn't work.......

Delirah that 4od came out. It's the one app that I really missed when swapping over from ipad to Android.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement