Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

madmoe wrote: »

Where would one acquire this then :-)
    Got it from here
    http://www.whatsapp.com/android/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Where would one acquire this then :-)

download from whatsapp website, and install in apk

http://www.whatsapp.com/android/

edit: chinpool beat me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i want to install whatsapp on my sons wi-fi tablet

does he need a phone number for verification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yup, only works on phones unless it has a SIM I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

A buddy of mine showed me the Simpsons: Tapped Out game yesterday, so picked it up and played it last night and today. I can see why people get addicted to these things, it's very good and very very addictive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Qualcomm have released a beta version of their Snapdragon battery managing app. If you have battery issues and run a snapdragon processor then this might be useful. It learns the usage patterns of your phone and tries to conserve battery based off of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Swiftkey has updated to version 4. Free upgrade for those who already own the app, includes flow (which is like swype).

Best keyboard app for android got a little bit better in my mind (plus you can download the Irish language if you want).

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

Note: might not yet be updated to V4 here, at home my appstore thinks I'm in America :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i think swift key is only 2 quid today too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

dulpit wrote: »
    Swiftkey has updated to version 4. Free upgrade for those who already own the app, includes flow (which is like swype).

Best keyboard app for android got a little bit better in my mind (plus you can download the Irish language if you want).

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

Note: might not yet be updated to V4 here, at home my appstore thinks I'm in America :pac:

Using and love it......but swipe backwards does not delete wrong words anymore :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Using and love it......but swipe backwards does not delete wrong words anymore :-(

It does with flow disabled. Otherwise it gets confused as to if youre trying to type so they just turned it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Chinpool wrote: »
    It does with flow disabled. Otherwise it gets confused as to if youre trying to type so they just turned it off

Ahhhhhh.....that makes sense.....but I still miss it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

I'll see how it goes. I've been pretty happy with stock galaxy note 2 keyboard using swipe on that. All the times before I tried swift key it worked great in the start then started ducking up later so ended up deleting it. Will see how it goes this time. Swipe working ok anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'll see how it goes. I've been pretty happy with stock galaxy note 2 keyboard using swipe on that. All the times before I tried swift key it worked great in the start then started ducking up later so ended up deleting it. Will see how it goes this time. Swipe working ok anyway.

did you post this from your phone?

danniemcq wrote: »

did you post this from your phone?

I think we all know what ducking stands for at this stage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

S8TVaTZIH_c9glt_3gFiuYxg0MGrXi_cNIezQ2QDE0D2_0jQIj3S-5UMhaA8Q9VNUBc=w705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

thanks for that, looks awsome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Live score addicts is great, I never miss a notification (they frequently never arrived with other similar apps).

I just installed Swiftkey 4 last night. I had tried Swype before and uninstalled it (didn't work as well as Swiftkey, and took up about 4 times as much memory), so I was all ready to revert back to Swiftkey 3. However I like v4 a lot, it's a big improvement on v3, which itself was already great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm enjoying The Simpsons: Tapped Out.
    Wish there was easier ways to get donuts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

whoops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Mars Bar wrote: »

So good you had to say it twice :D

Mars Bar wrote: »

There is :) buy them hehe, there was a hacked app but EA fixed the loops though.

It ducks up the game though so I find it silly. You can fly through the game if you have more donuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

There is :) buy them hehe, there was a hacked app but EA fixed the loops though.

It ducks up the game though so I find it silly. You can fly through the game if you have more donuts

What is the aim if the 'game'? I'm struggling to figure it out tbh

Liamalone wrote: »

What is the aim if the 'game'? I'm struggling to figure it out tbh

Build the Simpsons town? Recover lost characters
    I don't have a lot of time to play games. So the requirement of only getting on once every couple of hours is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Build the Simpsons town? Recover lost characters
    I don't have a lot of time to play games. So the requirement of only getting on once every couple of hours is great

Yeah, you can get other apps that work similarly (i.e pay to advance quicker by buying special items) and although you progress more slowly, if you enjoy the games, there are a lot of them out there that don't require you to pay to play and can keep you entertained if you have a few of them.

I play the simpsons ones now but used to play myclinic for android which you can win the special items by spinning a wheel (winning streak style) and you have a reasonable chance of winning the gold coins. I never paid anything and by the time I stopped playing had a few hundred of the coins and could buy anything I wanted.

I made a politics.ie app that goes to the mobile site if anyone wants it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brim4brim.politics_ie

Admittedly, it would be more popular over there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Puzzle Retreat, a well designed puzzle game, slide blocks into holes in the right order:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=thevoxelagents.puzzleretreat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

thebman wrote: »

Thanks! looking good.

So the ads i'm seeing within the threads of boards while using this app are from boards alone?

god's toy wrote: »
    Thanks! looking good.

So the ads i'm seeing within the threads of boards while using this app are from boards alone?

Yeah, I've no ads in it. I don't make any money out of it.

Is there any point to this? I mean most android phones can add a bookmark to the homepage that looks like an app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Is there any point to this? I mean most android phones can add a bookmark to the homepage that looks like an app

Yep like in the bottom left of my home screen. Don't understand the point but maybe I'm missing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Does anyone know of a good weather forecast app, Met Eireann seem to only want to tell me what the weather is like today, which is as useful as looking out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Delboy5

donalg1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good weather forecast app, Met Eireann seem to only want to tell me what the weather is like today, which is as useful as looking out the window.

Check out the 1Weather app, i think its cool

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.handmark.expressweather&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5oYW5kbWFyay5leHByZXNzd2VhdGhlciJd

• Advertisement

Well the point is that most users don't know that is possible.

It requires a certain level of knowledge that most people don't have about Android so it is an ease of use thing.

Also some sites don't populate with an icon in the drawer, they use the generic built in one so if you add a few, the icons aren't distinguishable at a glance.

So it is mostly a usability thing.

You could also just bookmark boards in the web browser but most people don't and want as few touches as possible to get to their most used sites.

Most people will search the store for an app and assume if they don't find one that it isn't possible to use that site on their phone as most people don't know the touch site exists unless they try to reach it with their phone browser.

So in short, there is a point to it...

Well the point is that most users don't know that is possible.

It requires a certain level of knowledge that most people don't have about Android so it is an ease of use thing.

Also some sites don't populate with an icon in the drawer, they use the generic built in one so if you add a few, the icons aren't distinguishable at a glance.

So it is mostly a usability thing.

You could also just bookmark boards in the web browser but most people don't and want as few touches as possible to get to their most used sites.

Most people will search the store for an app and assume if they don't find one that it isn't possible to use that site on their phone as most people don't know the touch site exists unless they try to reach it with their phone browser.

So in short, there is a point to it...

I still don't see the point. If their that uneducated they shouldn't be using a smartphone.. This is just dumbing down the society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I still don't see the point. If their that uneducated they shouldn't be using a smartphone.. This is just dumbing down the society

That's a very ignorant comment. Smartphones aren't just for techies. By your view [and I assume you are just trying to be funny], most people shouldn't be allowed on a computer not have access to the interwebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Is there any point to this?

No..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

yr.no is one of the best & it has a widget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

The Met Eireann app gives a detailed forecast for the today and tomorrow. It also gives an outlook forecast for the next five days.

I am not sure what else you would need from a weather app. The ones that give 10, 15, 20 day forecasts are bullsh1t as it is impossible to predict that far ahead, and also, would other agencies not have to take their lead from the national weather agency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Discodog wrote: »
    yr.no is one of the best & it has a widget.

Just had a look at that, looks perfect exactly what I wanted.

RangeR wrote: »
    That's a very ignorant comment. Smartphones aren't just for techies. By your view [and I assume you are just trying to be funny], most people shouldn't be allowed on a computer not have access to the interwebs.

Not trying to be ignorant or funny. Its just a simple function, its not rocket science.
    If they can manage to register for a Google Mail account to access the play store, I'm sure it cant be a massive leap to bookmark it.

As I said I hate these sort of apps, because I categorize them as marketplace spam. Fair play for making the effort, but I wouldn't even call it an app. Its just a shortcut to a website.

Not trying to be ignorant or funny. Its just a simple function, its not rocket science.
    If they can manage to register for a Google Mail account to access the play store, I'm sure it cant be a massive leap to bookmark it.

As I said I hate these sort of apps, because I categorize them as marketplace spam. Fair play for making the effort, but I wouldn't even call it an app. Its just a shortcut to a website.

It does completely ignore reality though. Many people get help to get the phone and mail accounts setup and are shown how to search the store and that is all they know.

By your logic, the terminal is good enough and everyone else should stop being ignorant of the commands.

It completely ignores that for many, bookmarking a site in the browser app and then adding a widget from the home screen that points at the bookmark created by the browser app is horribly unintuitive.

Personally I didn't even know you could do it before I wrote my first web app for myself and I don't want those shortcuts on my home screen as I access everything else through the drawer.

Same way if I want to access alarms I can tap the clock widget but I usually go through the app drawer as it is how I access things.

So it does serve a purpose but it depends on your preferences on how you want to do things on your phone.

You only consider it spam because it isn't your preference and you consider a bookmark on your home screen or in the browser good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Ultimately, it's about choice.

Now... back on topic. Show me the apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Exactly. What we need are more spelling, grammar and punctuation apps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

woeful app, used it tonight and unless its one of the top leagues or competitions you dont get notifications until full time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

woeful app, used it tonight and unless its one of the top leagues or competitions you dont get notifications until full time

out of interest what league were you trying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

batistuta9 wrote: »
    out of interest what league were you trying?

had championship, league 1 and setanta cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Cant beat the fotmob app for football scores/notifications.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement