Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yep, same here. It can be a little slow at times but for the most part it's fine

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

tallus wrote: »
    Friendcaster works pretty well.

I'll second that. I've being using Friendcaster since Christmas, works pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hate the Facebook app. I often have to press news feed numerous times for the option to choose most recent first. It'll stall when you are scrolling and then go berserk.
    The size of the app and the updates is monstrous too. I would love to be able to delete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

pretty much every thing that chushion,evo and mars bar said.

and im usin a note 2(4.1.2).plenty of grunt under the hood.

usin friendcaster now works alot better,just have to get used to it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

deco nate wrote: »
    pretty much every thing that chushion,evo and mars bar said.

and im usin a note 2(4.1.2).plenty of grunt under the hood.

usin friendcaster now works alot better,just have to get used to it :)

I'm using an S3 so, much like yourself, it's not a lack of horsepower that's causing it. It's one of the reasons I hope Google+ takes off, at least Google know how to make some decent apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I hate the Facebook app. I often have to press news feed numerous times for the option to choose most recent first. It'll stall when you are scrolling and then go berserk.
    The size of the app and the updates is monstrous too. I would love to be able to delete it.

if you root your phone you can delete it from the phone (assuming its bloatware that came with the phone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm amazed the app works at all, and the fact they can even boast about things like this leaves little hope for the app improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jester77 wrote: »

I'm amazed the app works at all, and the fact they can even boast about things like this leaves little hope for the app improving.
    Saw that yesterday. Basically admitting they can't write an app properly and had to hack the sh1t out of how android runs it instead of fixing their own work then trying to make it sound like a good thing.

While I'm here actually, people should give Fast for Facebook a try. It's not a bad app

danniemcq wrote: »
    if you root your phone you can delete it from the phone (assuming its bloatware that came with the phone)

I really don't want to go down that root (pun intended! :pac:)

What agreement has facebook got to make the app un-deletable unless rooted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

jester77 wrote: »

Here's a link from the comments:
    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/libcore/+/81abb6fb7332dfe62ff596ffb250d8aec61895df%5E!/#F0

Sickening!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

They don't, either the device manufacturer or your carrier will have put the application on the ROM supplied with the device as a native application thus making it impossible to uninstall it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I usually use the browser or flipboard.

Flipbord is a nice app and you can have twitter and other feeds .
    Check it out!

I really don't want to go down that root (pun intended! :pac:)

just out of curiousity i have 2 questions,

What make of phone do you have

And is there any special reason for not wanting to root?

danniemcq wrote: »
    just out of curiousity i have 2 questions,

What make of phone do you have

And is there any special reason for not wanting to root?

Sony Ericsson Ray.

Because I did it with my X8 and it was effort and the phone borked not long after rooting. There's so many roms and XDA forums are a mess that I wouldn't even know where to begin this time.

Sony Ericsson Ray.

Because I did it with my X8 and it was effort and the phone borked not long after rooting. There's so many roms and XDA forums are a mess that I wouldn't even know where to begin this time.

yeah xda can be a bit of a nightmare.

there is a handy guide here

http://www.android.gs/how-to-root-the-sony-ericsson-xperia-ray-running-on-android-4-0-3-ics-firmware/

seems like someone has made a standalone that does all the work for ya!

but i know once bitten twice shy but warranty does cover rooted phones so i don't blame you for being wary!

there is other options though if you wanna mess with your phone a bit to get rid of FB

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-remove-bloatware-from-android-devices-the-easy-way-without-root/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

ive tried a failed miserably to root my htc sensation xl(biggest load of crap ever btw) one more than one occasion.

Anybody have a 100% fool proof way of doing it?

rogieop wrote: »
    ive tried a failed miserably to root my htc sensation xl(biggest load of crap ever btw) one more than one occasion.

HTCs are nightmares!

I have 2 mates trying to do it this evening (well they said they were) I'll see if i can find what guide they are using

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Tango One

Free anti theft app and a month free Premium access with this code XDADEVELOPERS
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.seiboldsoft.ssspy
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2155841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Anybody know of a battleships game available for both android and iphone that you can play against other players online with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Anybody know of a battleships game available for both android and iphone that you can play against other players online with?
    BattleFriends at Sea?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tequilamobile.warshipslive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I managed to turn off the notifications for the Simpsons in the App manager..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I managed to turn off the notifications for the Simpsons in the App manager..
    Details or gtfo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

RangeR wrote: »
    Details or gtfo

Settings - application settings - Tapped Out - show notifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Tango One

Did you try this?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1625841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dulpit wrote: »
    Settings - application settings - Tapped Out - show notifications.

Only for JellyBean or later though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

GMusicFS

This is still in beta but it's working perfectly for me. To quote Android Police:

"The app itself is pretty simple in nature: it accesses your Google account, imports track information, then mounts the cloud drive as local storage. In turn, most other media players can not only see, but play all the media directly from the cloud. It's pretty brilliant."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What's the best app for using webtexts? I used to use eirtext but it's not on Android, cabbage is too slow imo. How is Jelly SMS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Don't most of them use Cabbage API [server]?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats the best Android game and app news site, I already read the Kotaku, Engadget, Lifehacker etc sites every day but Id like a purely Android version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Melion wrote: »
    What's the best app for using webtexts? I used to use eirtext but it's not on Android, cabbage is too slow imo. How is Jelly SMS?

I use cabbage ultimate. User interface is rubbish but it's Pretty nippy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the best Android game and app news site, I already read the Kotaku, Engadget, Lifehacker etc sites every day but Id like a purely Android version?

it's not specifically android but i use Appy Geek

it's kind of like Pulse (the news app) in that it pulls in the articles from the different sites, but with Appy Geek you can choose your topic's and all related stories appear under the topic

so you could add Android, Sony, PS3, CPU, etc.

47w-l10JlKwDs9ENNACAXmC10YCfTZsYripxVprSv24oxx7dceBHr4nF4TFPb5FbH-M=h2305jtle4WG5f_C_Bhl2awRTu7LGuJis2jFSYCoZOSIPTiuW96XGZrzEg-SPvpMfSJMo28=h230POSin9AFzQXcVX21OiTon3s5YKi7-RSI6DrIYeP3og2NbRd-SWdaZMgqJQVz3CSt-w=h230

they have one for games too Appy Gamer but i haven't used it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Flipboard and pulse are good news apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

GMusicFS

This is still in beta but it's working perfectly for me. To quote Android Police:

"The app itself is pretty simple in nature: it accesses your Google account, imports track information, then mounts the cloud drive as local storage. In turn, most other media players can not only see, but play all the media directly from the cloud. It's pretty brilliant."

Looks like an unreal app,on it now and very happy with it.whats the best player to use with this app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Melion wrote: »

I use Textdroid - does the job nicely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hurrah for the new android forum!!
    ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I like Android Police

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can anyone recommend a decent browser. Having constant problems with Dolphin.( like this )

Downloaded Chrome, and Boards.ie does not seem to work on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Can anyone recommend a decent browser. Having constant problems with Dolphin.( like this )

Boards works fine on Chrome for me, that;s the one I use, and if I need flash I use firefox generally. I use the old boards skin, not touch though as I prefer the old layout, even on my phone.

Try Dolphin Beta:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dolphin.browser.lab.en&hl=en

Vanilla Dolphin for me was glitching a lot on boards and a couple of other forums but the Beta is smooth as could be. Its hard to swap to any other browser once you're used to Dolphin.

Hmmm, just seen Dolphin Jetpack when I was looking up that Beta link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dolphin.browser.engine&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLmRvbHBoaW4uYnJvd3Nlci5lbmdpbmUiXQ..
    • 5 - 10X faster than the default Android browser and 2X faster than Chrome

• Scored highest when tested on HTML5test.com (HTML5test.com is an industry respected tool for testing a browser’s su¬pport of HTML5)

• First and only browser to make it to the final ring of Ringmark’s benchmark test

• Scored highest on Google’s benchmark test Octane.

• Scored highest on JavaScript V8 Benchmark

• Scored highest on industry standard benchmark test, Sunspider

But wait there is more. Dolphin Jetpack also brings you some extra features including:

• Fast back and forward browsing by saved content instead of reloading.
    • Improved night mode support
    Testing now, if half that is true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I use firefox because i've found it best for browsing boards main site, not touch. Chrome works for me but i just dont like the way it automatically zooms in on say the my forums drop down etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

Boat

Since you guys are talking Dolphin can I ask a question? I'm new to Android and saw how popular Dolphin was so downloaded it to my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus. Funny thing is I can't browse paddypower.com on the N7 but it's fine on the GN....why?

Whats the question lol?

Thats just the way it is with mobile browsing unfortunately, you get a lot more bugs than desktop.

Go into settings in Dolphin and change the User Agent settings to Desktop or try a couple of the other options there and reload and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Try Maxthon browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wilser

Tried dolphin,boat,maxthon,chrome & firefox,all had problems on my g300 currently using uc browser the past few weeks & no problems so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Since you guys are talking Dolphin can I ask a question? I'm new to Android and saw how popular Dolphin was so downloaded it to my Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus. Funny thing is I can't browse paddypower.com on the N7 but it's fine on the GN....why?
    Aren't ya better off?:P

Whats the question lol?

Thats just the way it is with mobile browsing unfortunately, you get a lot more bugs than desktop.

Go into settings in Dolphin and change the User Agent settings to Desktop or try a couple of the other options there and reload and see.

Tried what you said with no luck. Installed the Dolphin Beta and it works fine with PaddyP. How odd.

:edit: It must have heard me because after a promising start it too has succumbed to the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Archipelagos

archipelagosgameicon.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.anthillgames.archipelagos

---

Rooting around for an Android 'Sentinel' like game. (Wiki: Sentinel / Sentinel Returns)

Archipelagos dates from the Atari/Amiga/ST days.

Not quite the same as Sentinel, interesting enough though.

• Advertisement

are you on 3?

i know three block adult related sites unless you ask for them to unlock you. depending on how the browser works though you can get around it.

For example 4chan wouldn't load on my phone when using stock or chrome when i was on a mobile network but would work on wifi.

I installed Opera and because of the way it preloads pages on its own servers it gets around the block

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement