Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a Spotify mod available that will transmit album data via Bluetooth here, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2081475&page=8

Doesn't appear to work for me though, probably an android version issue, gingerbread, as I think avrcp version 1.3 is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

danniemcq wrote: »
    I'm on Cyanogenmod so it is probably different but settings and system you might be able to modifiable your status bar.

Also TASKER is reduced by 69% to €1.99

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm&feature=search_result

I saw that Tasker was on sale alright but f*** me, I haven't a bulls clue how to use it. I see a noobs guide on XDA but it still looks very very difficult to use. Or maybe I'm just very stupid!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

BDJW wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend me apps to show the battery percentage and network on the top toolbar?

Power Toggles does it as part of its 'notification widget' yoke. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc
    Really cool and handy general toggling widget dealy too. Can have it on your homepage for toggling pretty much all (or whichever you select) your basic phone options, sound profile, data, wifi, rotation thing, brightness etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Anybody using this? Does it work?
    Reviews aren't great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.tid.yarn

BHRq1EEhtlevh7w4ROOzCOZeX68BhhlVedQaYXYOIQ021WAQBJFD9iqqSIhsXFuhwsZ8=w705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Anybody using this? Does it work?
    Reviews aren't great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.tid.yarn

Doubt there is a need for any more VOIP or Messenger providers.

Pretty happy with Skype and Viber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Skype is giving me problems. Yahoo messenger users are being directed to Skype as messenger is closed.

Hopefully a few more VOIP options will appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Lack of competition makes the incumbents lazy and careless.

RangeR wrote: »
    Lack of good competition makes the incumbents lazy and careless.

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

WhatsApp ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

broguexandroid.png

BrogueX

Unofficial Android port of the open source rogue-like, Brogue.

App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.disinterest.broguex&feature=search_result

App website: http://disinterest.org/broguex/

ASCII\Nethack like user experience.

broguex001.jpg

broguex002.jpg

---

Brogue: https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

WhatsApp ftw
    It's a fantastic app. Just had to 'fork out' 69p for a years subscription. My free first year of using it is over and then you gotta pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

It's a fantastic app. Just had to 'fork out' 69p for a years subscription. My free first year of using it is over and then you gotta pay.

As I discovered thanks to being informed by a few boardsies, not everyone does. Mine got renewed for free and so has many others :pac:
    Although Ive no problem paying. Great service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm not sure, but I think early adopters get Whatsapp free... I've had it about 4 years and have always been given my subscription for free... in fact I recently got a message to say I had been subscribed for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I think I may have originally paid for it on ios, it renewed recently and didn't cost me a cent. Best app by far - even my dad uses it and he's in his 60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I think I may have originally paid for it on ios, it renewed recently and didn't cost me a cent. Best app by far - even my dad uses it and he's in his 60s.

Downloaded it 18 months ago, never paid and still got a msg last week to say i have it free for another year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

SamHall wrote: »
    When searching on the market for this, it is important to search for sky + using the '+' symbo as opposed to the word plus.

(i find that anyway)

That is down to a bad description for the app. It must not have plus in the description which is odd.

You'd think they'd have thought of that. Was the first thing I though of as it is essentially the app equivalent to SEO.

If nobody can find it then you might as well not have developed it :)

thebman wrote: »
    That is down to a bad description for the app. It must not have plus in the description which is odd.

You'd think they'd have thought of that. Was the first thing I though of as it is essentially the app equivalent to SEO.

If nobody can find it then you might as well not have developed it :)

Not sure tbh, but I always managed to find it. Search for Sky and the 2nd listing is sky +...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Discodog wrote: »
    Skype is giving me problems. Yahoo messenger users are being directed to Skype as messenger is closed.

Hopefully a few more VOIP options will appear.

Skype is rubbish in comparison to Viber, eats battery like there's no tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Cossax wrote: »

Depends on what phone, I cant call my gf using Viber cause the sound quality is rubbish and breaks all the time, while the opposite on Skype.

People with different phones sound fine though. So its just a matter of finding the best one to suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

You need a good signal on viber,viber is my preferred choice.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    You need a good signal on viber,viber is my preferred choice.

You could have full wifi coverage at home and it would be still the same. Only gets worse with weaker coverage.

I don't even try it on 3G anymore. It's just brutal.

I don't even try it on 3G anymore. It's just brutal.
    Network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Depends on what phone, I cant call my gf using Viber cause the sound quality is rubbish and breaks all the time, while the opposite on Skype.

People with different phones sound fine though. So its just a matter of finding the best one to suit you.

I found its like that on most phones, even on iOS Viber is terrible compared to Skype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Guys, Hullomail has disppeared from Google Play this morning:(. Has it been pulled?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Has anybody tried using "Line"? Supports all messaging and calls, i rang Australia a few weeks back and the quality was crystal clear over a H+ connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Guys, Hullomail has disppeared from Google Play this morning:(. Has it been pulled?

Still there on direct link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hullomail.messaging.android&hl=en

Must be a search issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

draffodx wrote: »

Good man. Thanks. I have a Google account & logged in via phone & pc. When I searched for Hullomail in the Play Store it came up with "No results for Hullomail":confused: Anyway, I downloaded from your link:). Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

3DMark has come to android.

Ok it's a huge download! 280 odd mb...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.futuremark.dmandroid.application

Cossax wrote: »

It's annoying how it isn't launched at boot and it doesn't seem to behave nicely as a background app. It appears online but will be unreachable when people try to ring you. It's a pity because it works really well when you sucessfully make a call. Huge missed opportunity for Skype/Microsoft.

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    3DMark has come to android.

Ok it's a huge download! 280 odd mb...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.futuremark.dmandroid.application

Gonna download it for the 3 mins benchmark :) Would be interesting what the Note 2 handles. There was another graphical benchmark before, unity engine I think. That was fairly impressive with its graphics, handled that 99% perfect.

ronoc wrote: »
    It's annoying how it isn't launched at boot and it doesn't seem to behave nicely as a background app. It appears online but will be unreachable when people try to ring you. It's a pity because it works really well when you sucessfully make a call. Huge missed opportunity for Skype/Microsoft.

Id generally only talk on it with people on agreed times when coverage is crap. So not a problem, I have like 6 contacts on it :)

Only talk to 2 or 3.

Gonna download it for the 3 mins benchmark :) Would be interesting what the Note 2 handles. There was another graphical benchmark before, unity engine I think. That was fairly impressive with its graphics, handled that 99% perfect.

From the records the S3 doesn't look so hot (US version I think however) Nexus is right up there with the HTC one but my nexus is getting higher points than leage tables suggest so will need loads more users me thinks to really tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My 4 year old loves Epic citadel bench mark just because she gets to walk around a castle

god's toy wrote: »
    From the records the S3 doesn't look so hot (US version I think however) Nexus is right up there with the HTC one but my nexus is getting higher points than leage tables suggest so will need loads more users me thinks to really tell.

Mmm my Note 2 did not handle it well at all, like for a moment or two managed to get 35 FPS, rest of the time 10-20 FPS. I stopped watching it after a while, it got really choppy at times.

Ice Storm 3251
    Ice Storm Extreme 2492

Its a bit weird tbh. Ive always found that games used to run the smoothest on Galaxy devices. Now I haven't had a Qualcomm Android powered device since my HTC Sensation, but from messing around with various devices I always thought games worked better on S1 vs HTC Desire (gf's phone)

S2 always performed better than the Sensation as well. HTC One X is Tegra and its the same story, it always seemed to perform better on an Exynos processor. All these quad core Chinese phones somehow seem to have better performance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Good man. Thanks. I have a Google account & logged in via phone & pc. When I searched for Hullomail in the Play Store it came up with "No results for Hullomail":confused: Anyway, I downloaded from your link:). Thanks again.

Same as.

It's truly an invaluable app, especially if you're on 3 and get charged for voicemail :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Looks good but they aren't accepting any new free registrations....are there any decent alternatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

change your normal voicemail to please text me instead

works for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Looks good but they aren't accepting any new free registrations....are there any decent alternatives?

Its telling me not compatible (Sony Xperia S) is this because they have no more registrations? The paid version isn't showing compatible either - any good alternatives? Maybe its my carrier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Not something you really want to think about, but for holidays in Europe, this little app could be very useful...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.europa.ec.ehic&feature=search_result#?t=W10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Ahoy hoy,

Right does anybody know of any apps that I could download to block all social networks, games and Internet on my phone like cold turkey for a laptop?

Cheeeers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hmm, I saw an app called AppLocker that puts a password on certain apps, you could ask someone you trust to lock down the play store, browser, etc.

But you could still install games from the web Play Store... hmm.

Get an old phone, a non-smartphone one would be the only way to be sure. :pac:

Mmm my Note 2 did not handle it well at all, like for a moment or two managed to get 35 FPS, rest of the time 10-20 FPS. I stopped watching it after a while, it got really choppy at times.

Ice Storm 3251
    Ice Storm Extreme 2492

Its a bit weird tbh. Ive always found that games used to run the smoothest on Galaxy devices. Now I haven't had a Qualcomm Android powered device since my HTC Sensation, but from messing around with various devices I always thought games worked better on S1 vs HTC Desire (gf's phone)

That's a bit low alright... I sold my S3 so I cant run the bench on it but my Nexus 4 is cranking out

IS:11329
    ISE:6471

I would think something like the S3 and/or Note 2 would at-least be on par with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I found its like that on most phones, even on iOS Viber is terrible compared to Skype.

I agree. Also I find the Viber icons to be almost invisible. A really dark colour on a black background. I haven't found a way to change it.

nbar12 wrote: »
    Ahoy hoy,

Right does anybody know of any apps that I could download to block all social networks, games and Internet on my phone like cold turkey for a laptop?

Cheeeers

Don't fkn download them in the first place.

Spotify released an update where the app selects the best storage location for songs.

Yay! I can finally go for extreme quality music :-) make use of the 64GB memory card.

Though if you want the new function you have to remove the app and reinstall. Which is what I'm doing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Spotify released an update where the app selects the best storage location for songs.

Yay! I can finally go for extreme quality music :-) make use of the 64GB memory card.

Though if you want the new function you have to remove the app and reinstall. Which is what I'm doing now.

There's a new option in the settings page, down the end, that lets you clear cache and downloaded songs.

That should restore it to new without the need to uninstall :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Uninstalled the spotify app and re downloaded it, but now all my playlists are gone.!! FFS

anything I can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

When you say gone, do you mean gone from your playlist list, or gone from being held offline ? You probably just have to redownload them again if it's the later.

• Advertisement

Uninstalled the spotify app and re downloaded it, but now all my playlists are gone.!! FFS

anything I can do?

Should your playlists not be linked to your account? That's how my work anyway. When I Uninstalled they all just came back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement