Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Can anyone recommend an sms app similar to the stock galaxy s4. Have a nexus 4 but like the look of the Samsung one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

jgbyr wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an sms app similar to the stock galaxy s4. Have a nexus 4 but like the look of the Samsung one.

GO SMS can be made to look quite like Samsung with a bit of tweaking.

Have a look at sliding messages, it's a nice alternative. Also, Contacts+ has a decent SMS element built in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

GO SMS can be made to look quite like Samsung with a bit of tweaking.

Have a look at sliding messages, it's a nice alternative. Also, Contacts+ has a decent SMS element built in to it.

Thanks. Will have a look at those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Best Android Free Games list from Androidcentral.

Quiet an extensive list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah but you have to press the tabs button and then wait for the thing to load up a little. Then press it. They all do it, in one way or another, but I still find it lacking to the stock browser.

Speeds are just as good and as mentioned before, chrome has no adjustments or parameters. Also it displays websites weird, everything in chrome is big and the text is massive. On stock one, the text and websites are scaled according to proper resolution .

Access ability option I'm chrome for adjusting text size doesn't work for me. Never has
    This and the bookmarks is the reason I don't use chrome. Also, for some reason on chrome, sometimes when I click a link, chrome trys to download the html file (or whatever link I'm clicking on).
    I prefer the samsung stock browser myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Tried all the browsers in this thread, uninstalled them all for being too jerky and slow, Chrome doesnt seem to be able to render a web page properly without doing something weird which is surprising, usually massively oversized text in random areas, sticking with Dolphin for now, smooth, quick and reiable.

HI,
    I'm looking for a simple list app.
    I want to be able to have multiple pages/tab and simple lists on each page/tab and able to cross off or delete from list easily.
    I used to use shopshop iPHone app.

dinneenp wrote: »
    HI,
    I'm looking for a simple list app.
    I want to be able to have multiple pages/tab and simple lists on each page/tab and able to cross off or delete from list easily.
    I used to use shopshop iPHone app.

Try Google Keep. It can do more than you're looking for, but the checklist function is really good in it. Nice widget too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.keep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Try Google Keep. It can do more than you're looking for, but the checklist function is really good in it. Nice widget too.

I use GTasks. Is this one much better and can you import from GTasks to Keep?

I use GTasks. Is this one much better and can you import from GTasks to Keep?

I don't use GTasks so I can't say what the difference is. Google Keep is aiming at Evernote, so it's easy more than just a check list. AFAIK you can't schedule reminders in Keep, so I guess it's not really a task manager in the usual sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

AFAIK you can't schedule reminders in Keep, so I guess it's not really a task manager in the usual sense.

Ah right, will stick to GTasks so.

Thanks

Just for those who don't follow the games thread!

Krustyland update for "Simpsons Tapped Out" is available.

There is a new thread for active players here

Regards,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

This has probably been answered before but is there any app to block other apps running in the background like maps etc. Phone is rooted.

You can freeze apps with TiBu, and you can hibernate them with Greenify.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I downloaded that and like it.
    What would make it even better is if it had a password protected section. Then i wouldn't need a seperate app for sensitive info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

+1 on Google keep
    Using mine for everything from hospital appointment's
    Baking ideas
    Funny pics

And so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I just read that Whatsapp processed 27 billion messages in one day! Bloody hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cienciano wrote: »
    I just read that Whatsapp processed 27 billion messages in one day! Bloody hell

Link?

EDIT: see it here - http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/1862064/report-whatsapp-goes-free-on-ios-gets-new-features

Moon+ Reader Pro half price.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    +1 on Google keep
    Using mine for everything from hospital appointment's
    Baking ideas
    Funny pics

And so on

For casual stuff, I like Keep. But for clipping websites and more academic stuff that I'm involved with, Evernote is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

For casual stuff, I like Keep. But for clipping websites and more academic stuff that I'm involved with, Evernote is better.

I find the keep widget very handy.

I’m looking for an app that’ll put an icon on my screen (like icon for any other apps) and with 1 press it’ll quick dial a pre-selected phone number.

dinneenp wrote: »
    I’m looking for an app that’ll put an icon on my screen (like icon for any other apps) and with 1 press it’ll quick dial a pre-selected phone number.

On the S3 you can put a contact shortcut widget on the home screen, I'd imagine most android phone have such a widget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

On the S3 you can put a contact shortcut widget on the home screen, I'd imagine most android phone have such a widget.

a few options here:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/270350-contact-shortcuts.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭b318isp

Yes, on most (all?) versions of Android you can do this by adding a shortcut to a contact, no app needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭batistuta9

the pro version of an app called Shake is free on appgratis today

you can choose an app to launch when shaking your phone vertically, horizontally or forward (this one is a pro feature, maybe the only one, not sure yet) as well as other stuff like toggle 3g, wifi, change ringer mode, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭mrmanunited

Do you guys ever download from the Amazon App store? Every day they give away a paid app for free. it is a bit hit and miss, but I have got some decent apps for free, today is Node beat which is quite fun and worth a go for free!
    Check it out here if you want

Do you guys ever download from the Amazon App store? Every day they give away a paid app for free. it is a bit hit and miss, but I have got some decent apps for free, today is Node beat which is quite fun and worth a go for free!

no i don't have, meant to be but never did

its like what appgratis does, well a lot of the time they're paid but it's hit & miss too, more miss i'd say. Node was on it not long ago

appsales is a good one for, well checking whats on sale :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just played around with Node a little bit there - very cool! Would be great for generating royalty-free music for YouTube vids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

Always check the reviews before downloading - most of these apps are recently released and the developer is looking for some exposure. Most of the feedback is pretty awful so its easy to spot the worthwhile apps from the pointless/useless

Anyone know a good app that tells you how much time you spend on your phone and how long you use apps each day?
    Wife is complaining I am always on my phone. I would like to prove how right she is cos my phone controls my life lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭b318isp

Anyone know a good app that tells you how much time you spend on your phone and how long you use apps each day?
    Wife is complaining I am always on my phone. I would like to prove how right she is cos my phone controls my life lol

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jupiterapps.phoneusage

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the pro version of an app called Shake is free on appgratis today

you can choose an app to launch when shaking your phone vertically, horizontally or forward (this one is a pro feature, maybe the only one, not sure yet) as well as other stuff like toggle 3g, wifi, change ringer mode, etc.
    I think Id end up giving the phone a shake and then throwing it in the canal :D

Thargor wrote: »
    I think Id end up giving the phone a shake and then throwing it in the canal :D

:pac::pac::pac:

you can set the intensity level of the shake on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Wouldn't call it a rival, but basic ring, find and lock function has been omitted for a long time. Even windows phone had it...

Hopefully they will make it great with time. Its still annoying that the likes of hard resets wipe out data. Some one should make it that you can't wipe it without a user password in device or recovery. They shouldn't even let you flash firmware without removing the password lock.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Not sure if has been mentioned but I picked up rymdkapsel1 last night and it is one of the most absorbing strategy games I've played on Android.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

is there an app that will read a ebook,mobi,epub to you.eg you load the mobi file into it and it reads it out so you can listen to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

crazygeryy wrote: »
    is there an app that will read a ebook,mobi,epub to you.eg you load the mobi file into it and it reads it out so you can listen to it?

Not an exact match but Audible sells audio books. Might be of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

RangeR wrote: »
    Not an exact match but Audible sells audio books. Might be of interest.

yea ive gotten one or two there but i have a load of book files epub mobi etc.thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyersoft.moonreader

This can do it but the quality isn't great.
    Silly like things like mixing up read and read. Can be difficult to get your head around.
    Or any other e-reader with Text To Speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It cannot find my devices. I even tried to make it call my mobile phone but to no avail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

It cannot find my devices. I even tried to make it call my mobile phone but to no avail.

Found my nexus 7, not my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Not working for me, keeps saying device not found

For those that can't find your device, is your GPS on?

juke wrote: »
    Found my nexus 7, not my phone

Had to turn the location services on my phone and nexus 7 for it to work.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    If you're looking for something that will read any text to you in a natural way you'll be waiting a few years, its horrible listening to a machine voice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement