Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of Dublin to Belfast rail line collapses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Jonathan wrote: »
    The PD between two 750V DC wires is 0V.

For a PD of 1500V, one would need to be at +750V, the other at -750V.

You could have 2 750Vdc supplies connected in series to form a PD of 1500Vdc between ground and the top of the second supply. Two 1.5Vdc batteries in a walkman make a PD of 3Vdc altogether, no minuses required. It all depends how these wires are connected together....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The overhead line is +1500V DC and the rails are the negative return.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

murphaph wrote: »
    You could have 2 750Vdc supplies connected in series to form a PD of 1500Vdc between ground and the top of the second supply. Two 1.5Vdc batteries in a walkman make a PD of 3Vdc altogether, no minuses required. It all depends how these wires are connected together....
    750V supply, yes. But I was talking about two standard wires of 750V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

Isn't the only thing that has changed in that estuary of late is that they recently strengthened the embankment?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Isn't the only thing that has changed in that estuary of late is that they recently strengthened the embankment?

That was in 2004 - probably a bit long ago now to have had an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 scatriona

Some enterprising coach company should start a shuttle service from each of the major affected stations, charge a fiver, and they'd do nicely. .

hi Hoser, do you know yet if anyone has offered a private coach service to city centre or DART from Skerries that doesn't go via Rush? i'll be needing to get to UCD.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Has Skerries been abandoned?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

holy ****
    Alert on possible bridge damage given five days before collapse
    Related »

* Iarnród Éireann to offer ticket refunds | 26/08/2009

IARNRÓD ÉIREANN was warned about possible damage to one of the piers supporting the Broadmeadow Estuary rail viaduct five days before it collapsed.

One of the leaders of Malahide Sea Scouts in north Dublin contacted the company to report what he perceived to be erosion damage, along with a recent change in water flow in the estuary. “This wasn’t something that happened overnight,” said one of his colleagues, who did not wish to be identified. “We had noticed a massive change in the water flow over the past two months, with a third of it going through one of the arches that collapsed.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0826/1224253270336.html

so did they do a proper inspection?

they took photos

1224253266101_1.jpg what are we looking at here

http://www.irishtimes.org/newspaper/ireland/2009/0826/1224253266101.html

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

3+6?..that'l be 9 months then!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"Harrowing" bridge collapse, WTF what makes it harrowing? It was a feckin brdige...top notch journalism there, why was it very upsetting or disturbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

holy ****

My thoughts exactly - the chances of Iarnrod Eireann coming out of this investigation in a positive light are now about the same as me winning the Nobel Peace Prize.

The scouts' pictures in particular could play a crucial role in the RAIU investigation. If they did warn IE that the bridge was on the verge of collapse and IE ignored them, it could ultimately spell the end of IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭digitaldarragh

If anyone is interested,

I'll drive to Dublin from Drogheda bus station leaving at 7:45 through the tole and tunnel. Estimated time of arrival to Connolly: 8:45. May vary depending on traffic.

Leaving at 5:15 from the same area.

Not sure what to charge taking into consideration tole charge and tunnel but if there are three of you then we can come to a much better price.

Who did the inspection for Irish Rail?

If they did it themselves then they are absolutely screwed.

If they sub-contracted it out, then whoever they sub-contracted it to is screwed.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0826/rail.html

Iarnród Éireann says the underwater inspection of the viaduct that collapsed in Malahide was carried out in line with regulations three years ago.

would not make sense to inspect malahide rail bridge atleast once a year, or inline with possible scouring timelines

The international standard underwater inspection regime is in line with typical scouring timelines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was 2 years ago at the weekend and now it is 3 years :eek: .

Typical scouring (foundation erosion) checks are a 4-5 year interval but high risk scouring sites should be done every year ( at most 2) and this was a high risk site given its age, tidal patterns and key importance .

If it were between Castlebar and Ballina it would not have been _as_ important I do accept .

IE should see some senior heads roll and if it turns out the information went directly to the DoT then Dempsey's head should roll as well.

This statement from Barry Kenny is truly baffling (or breathtakingly arrogant?) given what we now know:
    “The inspection that took place on Tuesday [the following day] found that the markings were cosmetic rather than structural”, he added.

Erm, no Barry you dipstick...the inspection found NOTHING. It was a failed inspection because it failed to identify that there clearly WERE structural flaws developing in the bridge, otherwise it wouldn't have well, collapsed!

This is beginning to look very serious for IE. Bluetonic, care to comment about us all rushing to judgement now, after a bunch of scouts told IE their poxy bridge was about to collapse and even then they failed to do anything about it. IF that train had gone in the water, Lynch and the rest of those gentlemen on six figure salaries should have been charged with corporate manslaughter (if such a crime exists in Ireland). I'm starting to get really angry just thinking about this now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It was 2 years ago at the weekend and now it is 3 years :eek: .

Typical scouring (foundation erosion) checks are a 4-5 year interval but high risk scouring sites should be done every year ( at most 2) and this was a high risk site given its age, tidal patterns and key importance .

If it were between Castlebar and Ballina it would not have been _as_ important I do accept .

From what I gather (based on John Welsby's radio interview earlier in the week) the standard inspection interval was three years, and was changed within the last three years to two years, so I'm guessing that we're in a changeover period where the rate of inspections are being increased.

1224253266101_1.jpg what are we looking at here

I'm guessing that that 'channel' of rapid water shouldn't exist and that the level of the weir should have been constant under all the arches of the bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Can we get the boy scouts to paddle up to the bridges in Donabate and Gormanstown and Drogheda and Balbriggan too ...... so that we get proper inspections done for a change ???

And can we ask a Department of Transport official to join them and report the results directly to the minister

from day one kenny has been careful to say we checked the pier,s the stonework the masonary, we inspected the piers etc etc, pier piers piers, when it obviously wasn't the piers that were the problem. and he known it all along

arn't scouring times likely to happen yearly?

To me it's not so much that Irish rail didn't do anything about it when a bunch of scouts told them their bridge was at risk of collapse, it's that the people at Irish rail did do something about it and the people they sent (who it appears were in house people) were so incompetent as structural engineers that they didn't have a clue and said it was ok.

I'm guessing it should have been more like this when the scouts took pics of it in JUNE?

beforeo.jpg

The viaduct piers sit essentially on a weir which creates a lagoon at low tide (and presumably it was built this way to reduce tidal flows in the first place). It looks like this weir began to break up and allow water from the lagoon to keep rushing through it even at low tide. What could have caused this weir to break up though?

If my (crappy) picture is anything like the weir should have been, IE really dropped the ball by letting trains continue to run over the bridge after they received this warning from the SCOUTS!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

if you search malahide arches and kayak/canoe you can see a few people talking about using that arch to practice in, thought it was always slightly rough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm guessing it should have been more like this when the scouts took pics of it in JUNE?

beforeo.jpg

The viaduct piers sit essentially on a weir which creates a lagoon at low tide (and presumably it was built this way to reduce tidal flows in the first place). It looks like this weir began to break up and allow water from the lagoon to keep rushing through it even at low tide. What could have caused this weir to break up though?

If my (crappy) picture is anything like the weir should have been, IE really dropped the ball by letting trains continue to run over the bridge after they received this warning from the SCOUTS!

I don't think your photoshopped pic is accurate. A lot of photos on this site show the weir as it was

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/M/Malahide/slides/Malahide%20Estuary%20%281%29.html

Malahide%20Estuary%20%281%29.html

Advertisement