Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of Dublin to Belfast rail line collapses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Hungerford wrote: »
    It does. It connects with the trains running between Donabate and Drogheda/Dundalk. The new revised emergency timetable is a big improvement on previous ones.

The new all day Donabate/Malahide shuttle bus starts on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Could the RSA not be more in the blame for this than IE? If they only had to check a bridge that old every 6 years, surely that's the RSA's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

malahide chamber of commerce has some interesting info
    http://newsletters.visrez.com/T/ViewEmail/r/CC5313037DC08F84/CCB8D50710DEAFC12540EF23F30FEDED

Ionrad Éireann has brought in experts from the U.S. to study the weir and foundations of the bridge. They are presently planning to create a new span from pier 3 to pier 5, skipping the collapsed pier. It may then be possible to reopen the bridge while further work is carried out on strengthening the remainder of the bridge. For the moment though, emphasis is being placed on securing the existing structures including the weir.

heard they want the department of marine involved to ensure and rebuild the weir

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

malahide chamber of commerce has some interesting info
    http://newsletters.visrez.com/T/ViewEmail/r/CC5313037DC08F84/CCB8D50710DEAFC12540EF23F30FEDED

Ionrad Éireann has brought in experts from the U.S. to study the weir and foundations of the bridge. They are presently planning to create a new span from pier 3 to pier 5, skipping the collapsed pier. It may then be possible to reopen the bridge while further work is carried out on strengthening the remainder of the bridge. For the moment though, emphasis is being placed on securing the existing structures including the weir.

Would Malahide Chamber of Commerce not learn how to spell Iarnród?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Could the RSA not be more in the blame for this than IE? If they only had to check a bridge that old every 6 years, surely that's the RSA's fault.

I dont think its anyones fault...sounds as if its an act of god...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

corktina wrote: »
    I dont think its anyones fault...sounds as if its an act of god...

No doubt but it was 5 years ago it was last checked. If it were checked every 3 years, would this have happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

well if it was erosion to blame, it could happen overnight...and didnt I read that it was checked three times a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corktina wrote: »
    well if it was erosion to blame, it could happen overnight...
    Suddenly, after 150 years? When people were saying it was going on for two months?
    and didnt I read that it was checked three times a week?
    Only the track. Track inspections seem to miss things like loose embankments, like in the Portarlington incident.

On Monday last week, the leader of the Malahide Sea Scouts contacted the company with concerns about erosion to the piers.

The following day an engineer inspected the viaduct and found “no visible structural issues, and that all markings were cosmetic”, the company said yesterday.

Two days later, a track monitoring vehicle travelled over the line. This records all dimensions of track, including levels and gauge, and would identify any deviations from normal conditions including those not visible to the naked eye.

It found the railway was operating as designed.

Yet the following day the viaduct collapsed at 6.30pm, moments after a train passed over it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/pressure-mounts-on-irish-rail-to-explain-lsquosystems-failurersquo-1870886.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

murphaph wrote: »
    in your opinion ;)

do you consider IE in general run a good railway in comparison with other western european operators?

which western european railways are you comparing with IE??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

luzon wrote: »
    which western european railways are you comparing with IE??

I'll compare a few.

Holland
    France
    Switzerland
    Germany
    Italy

Leave aside all their years of investment, while IE had none and just base it on customer service. They are light years ahead in an area that doesn't cost a whole lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I'll compare a few.

Holland
    France
    Switzerland
    Germany
    Italy

Leave aside all their years of investment, while IE had none and just base it on customer service. They are light years ahead in an area that doesn't cost a whole lot of money.

you cant just leave all the investment other rail companys have had over the years compared to IE

To compare france and ireland is just silly we have only really seen a big

investment in railways in this country over the last 9to 10 years which isnt

that long im sure the customer service will inprove with time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭markpb

Why do you think that? What's been stopping it improving over the last ten years - lack of investment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

you cant just leave all the investment other rail companys have had over the years compared to IE

To compare france and ireland is just silly we have only really seen a big

investment in railways in this country over the last 9to 10 years which isnt

Doesn't seem that good an argument? As a country we can either afford to have a railway sysem or we can't. If we can then it has to be run to certain standards which include safety and maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Just heard.
    The whole bridge needs replacing
    No temporary measures can be put in place,therefore services on the Dublin-Belfast line will be out for 12 months and more
    NIE are looking for compensation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

12 months? You'd think they were designing and building a huge suspension bridge, not a 180m railway bridge. It's not as if it's a huge engineering challenge, in fact, I'd be surprised if they couldn't just do away with the existing bridge supports and do it in a single span using modern materials and engineering. Produce the thing entirely off site and slot it in place, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

sneem-man wrote: »
    Just heard.
    The whole bridge needs replacing
    No temporary measures can be put in place,therefore services on the Dublin-Belfast line will be out for 12 months and more
    NIE are looking for compensation

I would hasten to add that this information is from an unconfirmed report of an apparent memo on politics.ie.

I am not convinced of the verascity of the information contained in it as it doesn't match the understood timeline of events and contains major factual errors.

For a start, NIE are Northern Ireland Electricity, the North's version of the ESB. The full memo also contains a reference to the Malahide Yacht Club as the group that reported concerns about the viaduct, not the Sea Scouts as was the actual case.

The best estimates that I have heard for replacing the viaduct range from six to twelve months. Certainly, I believe people on the ground are hoping it will take six.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/news_detail.asp?nid=4931
    Ore to be moved by truck

Following the collapse of the rail bridge in Malahide last week, a mining group will be transporting its daily ore output by truck to Dublin Port.

Tara Mines, which is based in Navan, Co Meath use to transport its ore by train along the old Navan to Drogheda line, taking four trainloads a day to the port.

However, the collapse of the line means that all the ore will be moved by road and according to Tara Mines Human Resources manager John Kelly; it will take many trucks to transport the ore.

“It will take up to 60 truck trips a day to bring the ore to Dublin Port – that is the equivalent of three to four trainloads. The trucks are heading down the N2 and through the tunnel.” said Kelly.

“I cannot see it having any major impact on the mine or on production, but we had a very streamlined system of train loading and it is more difficult loading the trucks here in Navan and offloading in Dublin.”

Story filed on August 27, 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG125976

Iarnród Éireann is seeking Expressions of interest for the provision of Coach Hire services for the duration of remedial works following the collapse of the Malahide Viaduct.

It is envisaged that the services will be required for a minimum timeframe of 10 weeks. This could change substantially as more information becomes available regarding the extent of the remedial works required.

The initial contract is for a frequent service for the various stations on the Dublin Drogheda line north of MalahideThe procurement is urgent and the anticipated timelines are as follows:Close Expressions of Interest 10th September;Despatch Tender Docs - 12th September;Negotiations 23nd / 24rd September;Contract commence - 2st October 2009;
    CPV: 60100000.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Alun wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they couldn't just do away with the existing bridge supports and do it in a single span using modern materials and engineering. Produce the thing entirely off site and slot it in place, job done.

sounds like the Beckett bridge, that took years to design, build and install and its still not open to the public. You'd also have to put such a project out to EU tender which would delay things further.

I'm not saying this isn't whats needed, but I'd be amazed if you could get a new single-span bridge in place in under a year.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    sounds like the Beckett bridge, that took years to design, build and install and its still not open to the public. You'd also have to put such a project out to EU tender which would delay things further.

I'm not saying this isn't what's needed, but I'd be amazed if you could get a new single-span bridge in place in under a year.
    Not really .. what we're talking about here, i.e. a span of 180m that only has to carry a single rail track, doesn't need to rotate to let ships through and doesn't necessarily have to look visually/architecturally attractive would be orders of magnitude simpler I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Also surely theres a way of fast tracking things so that it doesnt have to go through full EU tendering?

Also surely theres a way of fast tracking things so that it doesnt have to go through full EU tendering?
    I'd have thought so too ... we're talking about an essential emergency repair here, not a new development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Alun wrote: »
    Not really .. what we're talking about here, i.e. a span of 180m that only has to carry a single rail track, doesn't need to rotate to let ships through and doesn't necessarily have to look visually/architecturally attractive would be orders of magnitude simpler I'd imagine.

It's twin track and it's also in a location that is difficult to build in. What I mean is that the location doesn't help a speedy build. I'd image that if there's a new build I'm sure that there would be some representation or lobby to allow more marine access to the estuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Repairs begin on Malahide viaduct
    ELAINE EDWARDS

Iarnród Éireann has begun work to facilitate the reconstruction of the Malahide viaduct, which partially collapsed last Friday evening just moments after a train had passed across it.

The company said it had today commenced bringing rock on site to rebuild the eroded weir, which is believed to have been “a significant factor in the collapse”.

The rebuilding of the weir will fill the breach which is believed to have undermined the collapsed pier and will “normalise” water flows and protect other adjacent piers, Iarnrod Eireann said.

It said the work would also protect the estuary environment, ensuring that normal water levels and flows are maintained and sustaining the estuary eco-system. This work will then permit the reconstruction proper to proceed.

“This will include piling for platforms for the crane required for the reconstruction work; works on adjacent piers to strengthen these and provide a ‘seat’ for new beams and installation of the beams across the two spans, to be supported by the strengthened piers.

Iarnród Éireann said the estimated timescale for the reconstruction was unchanged at three months.

The team dealing with the assessment and reconstruction of the viaduct is being assisted and advised by independent experts Eamon McKeogh, Professor of Hydraulics at UCC, and Dr Eric Farrell of the Geotechnical Department at TCD.

Iarnród Éireann was warned by a member of Malahide Sea Scouts about possible damage to one of the piers supporting the viaduct five days before it collapsed.

On foot of that warning, Iarnród Éireann carried out an inspection of the viaduct on the following day.

The company said today a committee has been established to oversee the investigation into the collapse of the 20-metre section of the viaduct. It will be chaired by board member Phil Gaffney, a former managing director of MTR, which operates the Hong Kong Metro.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0828/breaking49.htm

Sounds like a patch up to me. 3 months could be doable for that. Whether or not it is the right thing to do I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 opensourceguy

bg07 wrote: »
    Repairs begin on Malahide viaduct
    ELAINE EDWARDS

The rebuilding of the weir will fill the breach which is believed to have undermined the collapsed pier and will “normalise” water flows and protect other adjacent piers, Iarnrod Eireann said.

It said the work would also protect the estuary environment, ensuring that normal water levels and flows are maintained and sustaining the estuary eco-system. This work will then permit the reconstruction proper to proceed.

The water level during tonights evening tide was lower than I'd ever seen it, though that might be a coincidence:
    eventide28Aug.jpg

fl6z9
    http://twitpic.com/fl6z9 - Yikes, malahide estuary at low tide. Never seen it so low and i'm over 30 years looking at it. Bridge breach is h.. via @damianb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I suppose they have prepared an EIS , where is it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I suppose they have prepared an EIS , where is it ??

Don't they only need an EIS for an entirely new bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It will be an entirely new bridge ! All they can do without an EIS is to stabilise the water levels in the inner estuary at their old levels .

Advertisement