Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tobacco

Options
  • 21-08-2009 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

IIs it possible to buy tobacco online? if so does anyone know any reliable websites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I use these guys once a year for my rolling tobacco. They can be a bit slow but it gets to me just fine. Generally it is shipped from Spain I think if it is an order of 1kg or less, not sure what it would be for cigarettes or the like.

http://uk.tobaccoonline.co.uk/shop.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,063 ✭✭✭✭briany

Why do people order from that site, isn't it the same site as www.e-tobaccos.com with the prices marked up slightly? Something doesnt smell right if you ask me.

briany wrote: »
    Why do people order from that site, isn't it the same site as www.e-tobaccos.com with the prices marked up slightly? Something doesnt smell right if you ask me.

Not quite the same site. I have just changed to the site you mentioned as they still ship from within the EU for the brand I smoke. My original link are now shipping from Australia. The company behind e-tobacco were acting as a shipping company for tobacco-online on certain shipments. Or that is what they told me anyway. :confused:

Aren't they related though? I was thinking about ordering from that site myself but of course duty is stopping me. I emailed them to ask and they seem to contend wholeheartedly that since their products are taxed in Spain, they will not be got again under the EU directive that concerns this kind of thing. There's even a bit on it about their site under news. Of course they may say that anyway.

Out of interest, what courier did your goods arrive with?

play4fun1 wrote: »
    I know that it's not related to the thread - but just wanted to know do you have to pay any tax/vat ?

Have a look at my last post. It seems that there is not really any agreement there. Some say yes, some say no and some say only if you are shipping above a certain amount otherwise it is not worth the hassle for the customs people. E-tobaccos say that since their products have been taxed in Spain and these taxes are low, you will not be taxed again because of the EU directive on duty and customs and their packages have the duty stickers to prove this when shipped. But they could only be saying that, you know what I mean? Someone here should get a 3V voucher or something (to avoid hard credit card dealings) and order with them, something small enough and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

briany wrote: »
    Have a look at my last post. It seems that there is not really any agreement there. Some say yes, some say no and some say only if you are shipping above a certain amount otherwise it is not worth the hassle for the customs people. E-tobaccos say that since their products have been taxed in Spain and these taxes are low, you will not be taxed again because of the EU directive on duty and customs and their packages have the duty stickers to prove this when shipped. But they could only be saying that, you know what I mean? Someone here should get a 3V voucher or something (to avoid hard credit card dealings) and order with them, something small enough and see what happens.

I've placed an order with tobaccoonline.co.uk, I'll let ye know how it goes.
    Might try e-tobaccos after that.

Product arrives with An Post. I have ordered 3 or 4 times now online and haven't had any issues with customs. In theory since you are purchasing from an EU Member State you should be okay except for the fact that VAT/DUTY/TAX/Whatever is still due on Alcohol and Tobacco products imported to this country (iirc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

How long roughly does it take Soundman?

I am considering buying a few months supply of port royal rolling tobacco from http://uk.tobaccoonline.co.uk/shop.asp. Gorgeous stuff!

They can be a little slow I have found. Reliable though. Check first to see where they are shipping from as they did change suppliers recently to a company in Australia. They are quite good at getting back to you if you use their contact us page.

From the one time I have used e-tobacco I found their shipping to be a good deal faster. If you are in a hurry then perhaps use e-tobacco but ultimately it should be down to price and where it ships from. If it is Australia then there is a very good chance of getting Customs added to it. e-tobacco still ship from EU countries.

I've placed an order with tobaccoonline.co.uk, I'll let ye know how it goes.
    Might try e-tobaccos after that.

So how did it go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 etobaccos.com

Hello all,

Google alerted us about this conversation where our company is mentioned so we joined to see if we can provide any help. We don't want to spam, just answer doubts people might have ;)

Regarding questions about shipping to Ireland:
    We have been sending orders regularly to many customers in Ireland for years now without any issues. We are so confident that we promise to re-ship totally free of charge if anything happens to the order.

Regarding the two companies in question:
    e-Tobaccos.com and tobaccoonlike.co.uk are different companies but we collaborate. e-Tobaccos.com does drop-shipping for some of the products on tobaccoonline, but not for all.

We would like to offer to the members of this forum a 5% discount on products for the first order of each member. To use the discount just mention "5% discount boards.ie" in the comment field of the order.

Regards!

Felipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Thanks for the info....can you tell me the average delivery time to Ireland for a box of the Tobacco pouches please?

Thanks for the info....can you tell me the average delivery time to Ireland for a box of the Tobacco pouches please?

Transit time to Ireland is around 48h but we are now in the XMas shopping season so a small delay might occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is the tobacco coming from within the EU, is there a certain amount I can legally order without getting caught for the duty, tks

is the tobacco coming from within the EU, is there a certain amount I can legally order without getting caught for the duty, tks

Yes it is coming from withing the EU (Spain). In general you can buy any quantity as long as it is for personal use. We have not had any problems with shipments sent to our customers in Ireland.

Regards

How reliable is the stock status of items on your website? Some of the things I see there have had the same stock status for months. Are they even available at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Yes it is coming from withing the EU (Spain). In general you can buy any quantity as long as it is for personal use. We have not had any problems with shipments sent to our customers in Ireland.

Regards

~The part I have highlighted in bold above is not strictly true.
    Tobacco and alchol imported for personal use must be accompanied by you in person, you can not have it posted or sent by courier and they
    can intercept packages and charge you excise/tax/customs.

Have a read here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6158762.stm
    The European Court of Justice has given its judgement on a case that could have changed the way Europeans buy alcohol and cigarettes.

The case raised the question whether someone who buys alcohol or tobacco from another country, and arranges for it to be delivered to the door, could avoid paying excise duty in his or her home country. The court said No, to avoid paying the duty, the goods must be transported personally by the buyer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hermano was there not a limit that is allowed for free? i.e you can have 200 cigs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hermano was there not a limit that is allowed for free? i.e you can have 200 cigs?

You'll have no problem bringing back 800 from another EU state* if you are travelling yourself and bringing them in for your own personal use.
    You are not allowed post any quantity into Ireland from another EU state.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html
      • Alcohol and Tobacco Products being brought into Ireland from another EC country without payment of duties must be transported and accompanied by you, i.e. cannot be shipped/posted to this country.
      • These goods cannot be for commercial purposes. They must be for your own use. If you intend to sell or accept any kind of payment for the goods you bring in, this is classified as commercial use.
      • If you are bringing in alcohol or tobacco products and Revenue has reason to suspect they may be for a commercial purpose, a Customs Officer may ask you questions and make checks that would enable the Officer to be satisfied that the goods are for personal use.
      • Travellers under 17 years are not allowed to bring Alcohol and/or Tobacco Products with them under these provisions.
      • The countries of the European Community are:
        • Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain*, Sweden and the United Kingdom*.
      *Although Gibraltar, the Canary Islands and the Channel Islands are part of the EC, they are subject to special provisions and therefore the duty free allowances for outside the EC apply.

Duty-Paid and Tax-Paid Goods

(i) General
    No additional duty or tax will be charged on goods bought duty and tax paid (e.g. in shops, supermarkets etc.) in another EC country. However, see below for Alcohol and Tobacco Products.
    (ii) Alcohol and Tobacco Products

In the case of alcohol and tobacco products:
    • they must be for your personal use,
    • you must retain your receipts as proof that you have paid duty and taxes, and
    • you must personally transport and accompany the goods on arrival.
    Where your purchases of the specific products listed below are equivalent to, or less than, the quantities shown in the table they will, generally speaking, be regarded as for personal use.
    Maximum quantity and list of goods allowed as personal useMaximum QuantityGoods800Cigarettes 400 Cigarillos200Cigars1kgSmoking Tobacco10 litresSpirits (whiskey, gin, vodka, etc.)20 litresIntermediate Products - Alcoholic drinks not exceeding 22% vol. (e.g. port, sherry, some liqueurs, etc.)90 litresWine (of which only 60 litres can be sparkling)110 litresBeer

It should be noted that until 31 December 2009 there are specific limits on the amount of tobacco products you can bring into Ireland for your personal use that have been purchased in the following EC countries.
    • Estonia - 200 cigarettes or 250g smoking tobacco*
    • Bulgaria, Lithuania, Romania, - 200 cigarettes*
    * If you have tobacco products over these specific limits you must declare them to a Customs Officer in the Red Channel and pay the appropriate duties and taxes.

If you want cheap cigs, your best bet is to book a day-trip or weekend away to another EU state and stock up.

You'll have no problem bringing back 800 from another EU state* if you are travelling yourself and bringing them in for your own personal use.
    You are not allowed post any quantity into Ireland from another EU state.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

If you want cheap cigs, your best bet is to book a day-trip or weekend away to another EU state and stock up.

Well, goverments try to keep stealing hard earned money from smokers to pay for everything else, they realised that the EU basic principle of free movements of goods and persons was going to damage the money they steal, so they "found" that TRICK saying that you have to travel with them to have free movement! Yeah! right!

This is really discusting, it is like if to buy a computer, a TV or a book from a Germany, France or the UK you had to travel with it to avoid paying additional taxes!!!

In any case, that is the "theory"...

The practice is that if you want cheap cigs or tobacco you can order it from us like many irish men and women have been doing for years. We are so confident that we will re-ship totally free of charge if any order does not arrive or additional tax is requested.

• Advertisement

Transit time to Ireland is around 48h but we are now in the XMas shopping season so a small delay might occur.

A message just to update that the XMas backlog is now over. Delivery times to Ireland should be around 48h again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mullaned

Hi

I ordered from these guys a few weeks ago, sadly I got a letter from customs last week saying my package had been seized.

I tried emailing them as they say if it gets seized and you can prove it let them know and they will resend the package.

Unfortunately after many emails to them I have not got any relies and am out nearly €50.

So think carefully if its really worth using these guys especially considering their awful customer service.

mullaned wrote: »
    Hi

I ordered from these guys a few weeks ago, sadly I got a letter from customs last week saying my package had been seized.

I tried emailing them as they say if it gets seized and you can prove it let them know and they will resend the package.

Unfortunately after many emails to them I have not got any relies and am out nearly €50.

So think carefully if its really worth using these guys especially considering their awful customer service.

Hi mullaned, we have searched our emails and we do not see any claim for a seizure. Could you please let us know the order number and we will follow the issue through. Please send to sales@e-tobaccos.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mullaned

Hi

It seems I made a mistake the company I ordered from was http://cheap.tobaccoonline.co.uk not etobacco despite their similar websites they don't seem to be related.

Anyway, my mistake.

It seems I made a mistake the company I ordered from was http://cheap.tobaccoonline.co.uk not etobacco despite their similar websites they don't seem to be related.

Anyway, my mistake.

Thank you for the clarification Mullaned, I visited that page and it is in Australian Dolars so I guess that they do not ship from the EU like us. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thanks for signig up etobacos may place an order wi you! Your john player blue are a little dear than in shop prices over in Spain? When I was over threre last sean in peak they were 35-40e an off peak I got them for 32. Also do you charge shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

So can anyone who has ordered from etobacco confirm if they were charged customs tax or not?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well considering that they posted here an signed up an interacting seems good

Just worked it out there, costing 73e for 200 not worth forkin out that ammount of money to mAke a saving of 11euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The biggest savings seem to be with the rolling tobacco

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement