Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Flew into DUB this morning from ORD. Disappointed that T2 is not in use. I sat for 30+ mins on the runway waiting for a gate to open up in T1 because the airport is so busy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

MYOB wrote: »
    Been a long time since there were BA operated flights in to Dublin!

Not that long, I flew into Dublin on a BA flight last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,011 ✭✭✭✭L1011

KenHy wrote: »
    Not that long, I flew into Dublin on a BA flight last year!

On a BA plane? They and KLM generally don't operate out of Dublin at all, you check in and get boarding passes as if you're with them.... and plonk your arse on an Aer Lingus seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DrFluff

According to the US' Dept. of Homeland Security website, it looks like CBP IS due to go live in T2 on Jan 19th. Check out the following link:

http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1293737568851.shtm

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

On a BA plane? They and KLM generally don't operate out of Dublin at all, you check in and get boarding passes as if you're with them.... and plonk your arse on an Aer Lingus seat.

Yep, was a BA plane in March 2009. Flew from Gatwick into Dublin.

• Advertisement

KenHy wrote: »
    Yep, was a BA plane in March 2009. Flew from Gatwick into Dublin.

Must have been a problem with Aer Lingus stock-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭tippilot

BA did operate a Dub-LGW service. Not a codeshare with EI. Equipment was a 733. It was discontinued not long after March 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

tippilot wrote: »
    BA did operate a Dub-LGW service. Not a codeshare with EI. Equipment was a 733. It was discontinued not long after March 2009.

They also operated London City to Dublin in competition with Cityjet until late 2009.

The British airways Gatwick - Dublin route operated for many years using Boeing 737's, and previously BAe 146 aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Is their any ramp-up time-line available?

Any cut-off date after which all Aer Lingus flights will be Terminal 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

enda1 wrote: »

Last i heard was EI will start ramping up things next week(week beginning January 10th). At the moment there's an average of 5 outbound and 5 inbound EI flights a day from T2. I'd expect that to rise to around 15 outbound and 15 inbound every day from next week. Assuming no problems i'd say they'll move everything relatively quickly after that.

Transatlantics are due to start on January 19th. I'd say they'll start with 2 or 3 outbound and inbound a day initially until they're happy everything is running as it should and then proceed to move the lot over.

All told i'd say everything should be moved over by the end of February/early March.

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »

In the reservation systems, it is shown that Heathrow and Gatwick Flights are due to move on the 11th January, so that will be approximately 17 departures per day and an equal number of arrivals. It is likely some other selected flights will also use T2 and will be chosen on the day as has been the case so far.

The airlines are being less commital on transatlatic services - in the booking systems all are listed as using Terminal 1 for some months yet, but that is probably because US CBP have been pretty shifty regarding an opening date for that facility. If confirmed as the 19th Jan, than I would expect EI will move JFK over first, followed quickly by the remainder, with other carriers to follow soon after.

runway16 wrote: »
    They also operated London City to Dublin in competition with Cityjet until late 2009.

The British airways Gatwick - Dublin route operated for many years using Boeing 737's, and previously BAe 146 aircraft.

I stand corrected. Still, the planes during the ice were probably the first BA planes to land at DUB in that time, then...

I stand corrected. Still, the planes during the ice were probably the first BA planes to land at DUB in that time, then...

BA do divert into Dublin on occasion, but it is quite rare. They seem to prefer SNN for that purpose. I think you are probably right and that is the first BA aircraft in since about late 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

lord lucan wrote: »
    Transatlantics are due to start on January 19th. I'd say they'll start with 2 or 3 outbound and inbound a day initially until they're happy everything is running as it should and then proceed to move the lot over.
    The airlines are being less commital on transatlatic services - in the booking systems all are listed as using Terminal 1 for some months yet, but that is probably because US CBP have been pretty shifty regarding an opening date for that facility. If confirmed as the 19th Jan, than I would expect EI will move JFK over first, followed quickly by the remainder, with other carriers to follow soon after.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that US CBP will operate two facilities at the same time. This will probably mean that the ramp up will be pretty swift, as any flights remaining in T1 for the time being will have to go through full immigration in the US.

oharach wrote: »
    I'd say it's pretty unlikely that US CBP will operate two facilities at the same time. This will probably mean that the ramp up will be pretty swift, as any flights remaining in T1 for the time being will have to go through full immigration in the US.

I'm thinking they may leave the afternoon flights that currently don't clear immigration here alone until they're happy that everything is ok. Basically it'd be all the morning flights moving over.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

Will aerlingus be operating flights to the uk from T2 and any idea when they will switch over?

Yes, Aerlingus will switch all their flights to T2 eventually. Flights to London Heathrow and Gatwick switch over on January 11th, remaining short haul flights by february.

It was my first time in T2 today, and I have to say, its marvellous. I havent been that impressed by a building since I was in Kuala Lumper's amazing airport terminal.

They have done an amazing job - it is up there with the world's best terminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭royan

Flights to London Heathrow and Gatwick switch over on January 11th, remaining short haul flights by february.
    I spoke to a rep on their reservations desk yesterday after dropping off my SiL - they said that they've not yet been given any schedule for moving over. There are a few flights a day coming into T2 but it doesn't seem to be to any particular plan.

royan wrote: »
    I spoke to a rep on their reservations desk yesterday after dropping off my SiL - they said that they've not yet been given any schedule for moving over. There are a few flights a day coming into T2 but it doesn't seem to be to any particular plan.

Definitely EI London flights starting tuesday,17 inbound and 17 outbound from tuesday. 1 Delta in and 1 out(checking in in T2,departing from T1).

Looks like some of the other retailers and food concessions are gearing up for launch on tuesday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Definitely EI London flights starting tuesday,17 inbound and 17 outbound from tuesday. 1 Delta in and 1 out(checking in in T2,departing from T1).

Looks like some of the other retailers and food concessions are gearing up for launch on tuesday too.

Dublin Airport press release says Delta will start using T2 from tomorrow (Jan 11th) for all it's services (JFK and Atlanta). I guess the plan is for a gradual build up of usage of the new US Immigration/Pre-clearance facility rather than transferring all the US airlines in one go so that they can comfortably iron out teething problems whilst there are smaller numbers using the facility.

I wonder how Delta passengers are being notified as 24 hours seems short notice and I don't expect all of them to be actively consulting the net for this type of information!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

ongarboy wrote: »
    I wonder how Delta passengers are being notified as 24 hours seems short notice and I don't expect all of them to be actively consulting the net for this type of information!

Good point, although I guess most people check the website before they leave home to check their flight status, and they would see the Terminal marked on the departures page, if not also the news story.

Edit: they haven't changed the Terminal for Delta flights on the Departures page. Typical!

AL on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any information at all on its homepage, or a similar news story on the Dublin Airport site.

ongarboy wrote: »

I'd have thought they'd email those that booked online with them and provided an email address. After that i guess they'll have a sign and a DL rep at the 'old' DL check-in in T1 to inform those turning up to head to T2.

oharach wrote: »
    AL on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any information at all on its homepage, or a similar news story on the Dublin Airport site.

A lot of people(many taxi drivers included) are under the impression that EI are already sending all their traffic through T2 and as a result many people are being dropped off at T2 only to find they have to go over to T1. They could do with getting the information out as to what flights are using T2. The DAA are only getting the information at short notice from EI and as such can't always update things in time.

Most people working in T2 have been made aware of the ramp up of EI ops from tomorrow but looking at EI's website there's no mention of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

A lot of people(many taxi drivers included) are under the impression that EI are already sending all their traffic through T2 and as a result many people are being dropped off at T2 only to find they have to go over to T1. They could do with getting the information out as to what flights are using T2. The DAA are only getting the information at short notice from EI and as such can't always update things in time.

Most people working in T2 have been made aware of the ramp up of EI ops from tomorrow but looking at EI's website there's no mention of it.

Presume this is one of the reasons why they arent giving information. At present the official line from EI and DAA is that all EI flights check-in in T1, yet people are still under the impression that they can check in in T2. Would only add to the confusion if they were releasing different lists of flights every day for check-in in T2. Plus this way lets them change their plans at the last minute if there are any problems.

Oh I was told at the weekend that its only Heathrow flights out of T2 from tomorrow and not all London flights. Subject to change of course;)

saeglopur wrote: »
    Oh I was told at the weekend that its only Heathrow flights out of T2 from tomorrow and not all London flights. Subject to change of course;)

Subject to change being the operative term,seems to change by the hour.:)

Perversely i've noticed a number of EI pax checking in at T2 with hand luggage for flights leaving T1. There were 6 people yesterday checking in using the Fastpass check-in in the T2 check-in hall at 04.00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Metrostar

Unfortunately on my recent flight into Dublin I had to endure the Terminal 1 experience with its low ceilings, long queues and congested arteries. Looking forward to a more civilized experience in T2.

Out of eagerness, I had a mosie around T2 on my flight out. The building is very impressive however there seems to be a fatal design flaw - the lifts are made into a statement feature in the building with powerful lights that attract the eye. When you're wheeling a suitcase, it's easier go down lifts than escalators. But these lifts are TINY by airport standards and worse, they are slow. Even more inexplicably, they are not made of glass - a grim experience which could have been made marvellous if you could look down on the buildings as you descended in the lift.

I'll reserve final judgment till I use the terminal when it's fully operational. I'm chomping at the bit to see the airside part of the terminal. The overall experience from check in to boarding gate will be what makes or breaks this ambitious new terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eefster

I'd have thought they'd email those that booked online with them and provided an email address. After that i guess they'll have a sign and a DL rep at the 'old' DL check-in in T1 to inform those turning up to head to T2.

You'd think, but no, or not in my experience so far. I only found out about the change because last night I saw the flashing sign they put up at the entrance to the road in front of the terminals, which was saying "Delta departures only T2". (Of course, then I was bumped off the flight and rebooked, so haven't experienced first-hand whether the flights are actually *leaving* from T2 or not. Initial searching says no.)

Now if only full US preclearance was in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I have a booking for LHR on Friday and it clearly says departing from T2 on the booking confirmation...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

christ.

all AerLingus LHR departures today scheduled from terminal 2.

I'm getting dizzy, this is going too fast.
    Over a month since the terminal OPENED and theres now more than 1 flight a day from the 600Million+ Euro facility!!!

With Heathrow flights thats 15 now, up from 1 a day last week.

so WHAT is the delay?
    There is taking your time, but this is taking the piss.
    Is the luggage handling system broken or does anyone know the inside story of what exactly the hold up is?

If Terminal 2 is grand, then Aerlingus should be easily capable of ramping up far quicker than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I was in T2 yesterday. Very nice terminal.

However, I can't believe that the new benches outside (by the taxi rank) are stained brown/rusted already?

Advertisement