Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

US airways moving to t2 today. LINK Things starting to get very quiet in t1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

mmcn90 wrote: »
    US airways moving to t2 today. LINK Things starting to get very quiet in t1.

Hardly "very quiet"?? So far only a maximum of 26 flights a day have moved to T2.

You've still got the majority of Aer Lingus services yet to move, while Ryanair, Aer Arann and all the other airlines will be staying put.

T1 will still be busy but far less congested - hopefully it will mean that Pier D (gates 1xx) will be left to Ryanair (and the prefabs will close) and that Swiss, Lufthansa, SAS and Cityjet can all move back to airbridged gates at Pier B (gates 3xx).

I work in catering in t1 and at present we've witnessed a drop of about 60% in customers over our whole business in the last 3 months. 26 flights may not seem like a lot, but this combined with a huge drop in passenger numbers means devestation for a lot of businesses in t1.

Presumably some of that is down to the seasonal reduction in services also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Some businesses in T1 are now facing closure. There has been such a significant drop in passengers over the past few months when combined with the opening of T2 it will be devastating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Some businesses in T1 are now facing closure. There has been such a significant drop in passengers over the past few months when combined with the opening of T2 it will be devastating.

There is always a drop in passenger numbers this time of year except for the week around Christmas. As we head towards spring watch those numbers go up.

If there is a serious risk of businesses in T1 going bust, then the DAA should bring in the method introduced in T2 which is where rent varies depending on business got.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    If there is a serious risk of businesses in T1 going bust, then the DAA should bring in the method introduced in T2 which is where rent varies depending on business got.

They have that system already, each business pays a percentage of turnover to daa every week as rent. However rent is only one of many expenses to businesses. Some of the downturn is due to a seasonal drop in passengers, but when you combine that with t2 opening, a lot of busineses will struggle to stay afloat until passenger numbers grow again. A lot of units have already started making staff redundant, and there are plans to let more staff go over the next months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

What food outlets are available in T2?

Tremelo wrote: »
    What food outlets are available in T2?

Heres a list of the food outlets in t2
    http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/shops-restaurants/bars-restaurants/terminal-2.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 68,686 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lxflyer wrote: »
    Hardly "very quiet"?? So far only a maximum of 26 flights a day have moved to T2.

You've still got the majority of Aer Lingus services yet to move, while Ryanair, Aer Arann and all the other airlines will be staying put.

T1 will still be busy but far less congested - hopefully it will mean that Pier D (gates 1xx) will be left to Ryanair (and the prefabs will close) and that Swiss, Lufthansa, SAS and Cityjet can all move back to airbridged gates at Pier B (gates 3xx).

How are Aer Arann going to handle this one operations wise, with their own branded flights still on A - will the EI3xxx ones stay there too or go to T2?

Also, can the airbridges actually connect with a Avro? Can't see City Jet needing an airbridge gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

MYOB wrote: »
    Also, can the airbridges actually connect with a Avro? Can't see City Jet needing an airbridge gate.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cityjet started using airbridge gates, as they use them at Charles de Gaulle.

All the airlines I mentioned above previously used the airbridges at Pier C including Cityjet and were shifted to piers A and D when the construction work on T2 started.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just checked the Dublin airport website

Now 32 Aerlingus flights are scheduled to leave from T2 today.

Only 29 Leaving from T1, and of that 10 are the 4 digit flight numbers to places like Blackpool, which I presume are the new Aer Lingus Regional flights.

So, we have now reached the half way point in the move-over.
    Congrats to Aer Lingus!

It doesnt seem to be progressing on the basis of destination, e.g. the Munich flight this morning left from T2, this afternoon though is T1.

so.....
    2 months on and we have some progress.......
    Aer Lingus has announced that as part of its phased transition to Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport all continental European flights will operate from the new terminal from tomorrow.

All Aer Lingus flights between Dublin and London have already moved to T2.

The airline is advising all departing passengers travelling to London and continental Europe to present at T2 for departure.

Aer Lingus also confirmed yesterday the transfer of further transatlantic flights to the €600m Terminal 2 at the airport. From tomorrow, Continental Airlines flights will fly from the new terminal, while all transatlantic flights will be transferred by February 22.
    from 2nd part of : http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bid-to-salvage-talks-on-dispute-at-aer-lingus-2517549.html

I just hope that this is true.
    The lethargy of the move to T2 would almost have you convinced that aer lingus management have some sort of twisted affection for the cramped abomination of a jumped up hayshed, that is terminal 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Jumped up hayshed?

C'mon seriously. T1 building is more than fine - bit of a rip off of a place to park, eat etc (even for an airport) but to call the building itself such a thing is utter flimflam in my opinion.

Jumped up hayshed?

C'mon seriously. T1 building is more than fine - bit of a rip off of a place to park, eat etc (even for an airport) but to call the building itself such a thing is utter flimflam in my opinion.
    Ach now. Its far from fine. The cramped nature of the place is just unbearable.
    Since online checkin/ its relieved a bit, but its still not fit to comfortably cater for the amount of people who hit checkin in and security at peak times.
    Both security and checkin are a confused mess of zig/zag rope barriers trying to make up for the lack of space.

And beyond security can also be messy. Theres just not enough space in the corridor behind to cater comfortably with the crowds.
    Its barely 3 metres wide, and then theres shops along one side of it which encourages passengers with no rush on them to ponder about blocking up what little space there is on the way to the gates.
    (You can compare this to Munich T2 where theres about a football field size of empty, shopless space after security. )

Dublin T1 is just one clunky improvised "solution" after the next.
    The combination of lower checkin queues due to online checkin and the various shopping/ restaurant expansions drawing dawdlers away from that pokey corridor after security have improved the situation somewhat, but the place is still far from acceptable, especially during peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

so.....
    2 months on and we have some progress.......

from 2nd part of : http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/bid-to-salvage-talks-on-dispute-at-aer-lingus-2517549.html

I just hope that this is true.
    The lethargy of the move to T2 would almost have you convinced that aer lingus management have some sort of twisted affection for the cramped abomination of a jumped up hayshed, that is terminal 1.

Seems to be, according to the Aer Lingus website: http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/movetoterminal2atdublin/

Ach now. Its far from fine. The cramped nature of the place is just unbearable.
    Since online checkin/ its relieved a bit, but its still not fit to comfortably cater for the amount of people who hit checkin in and security at peak times.
    Both security and checkin are a confused mess of zig/zag rope barriers trying to make up for the lack of space.

And beyond security can also be messy. Theres just not enough space in the corridor behind to cater comfortably with the crowds.
    Its barely 3 metres wide, and then theres shops along one side of it which encourages passengers with no rush on them to ponder about blocking up what little space there is on the way to the gates.
    (You can compare this to Munich T2 where theres about a football field size of empty, shopless space after security. )

Dublin T1 is just one clunky improvised "solution" after the next.
    The combination of lower checkin queues due to online checkin and the various shopping/ restaurant expansions drawing dawdlers away from that pokey corridor after security have improved the situation somewhat, but the place is still far from acceptable, especially during peak hours.

I would have thought that with the departure of all longhaul flights and all Aer Lingus operations T1 will become a far more pleasant place to pass through. Pressure on the facilities will be much diminished with the removal of all those passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

lxflyer wrote: »
    I would have thought that with the departure of all longhaul flights and all Aer Lingus operations T1 will become a far more pleasant place to pass through. Pressure on the facilities will be much diminished with the removal of all those passengers.

Only really if they reconfigure T1 though. There will now be far too many check-in desks, so there is scope to remove some to open the place up a bit. Imo they should also move security into the check-in space by about 10m to widen out the narrow shopping corridor behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

yep from what i hear the check in islands will go and all check in desks will face the entrance like t2. no idea of a timescale for this or if these plans have been affected by the downturn however

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭servicecharge

Passed through T2 on Sunday. How disappointing from an architectural and design point of view.

Firstly, I do not believe the building is particularly functional. I disembarked the plane to find myself with a Pier D favourite: a stairs. Why oh why. 100 people carrying heavy bags, with push chairs and a wheel chair do not want to climb a stairs or queue for one lift. How does a stairs encourage the free flow of people and ease of passage.

And a few others have pointed out that the terminal in general is littered with stairs, with departing passengers having to go up two flights and then down 3 in some cases.

The stairs was followed by a long walk, unaided by a stopped travelator. This transit was finished at the passport control where another old DAA favourite was waiting: a maze of belt barriers. I then entered a relatively cramped baggage hall, which seemed to be a carbon copy of T1.

Beyond this I found myself in arrivals and lost. I wanted to head over to T1 but there was not a single sign pointing in that direction. So I was forced to exit in the island between the car park and terminal. Found the busses there, but again typical DAA no electronic display relating to public transport. So had no idea where busses went from, just an aircoach guy selling tickets from a temporary stand.

Apart from the function issues above the design did not particularly impress me. Lots of glass but little to see through it. Very bland, no colour and certainly no character. No jaw dropping moments.

And as said the baggage hall was particularly small and cramped. As this is the area most arriving passengers spend time I would have expected a grand hall or at least an airy one; I found neither.

One of the worst feature was the car park. It and the terminal bear no relation to each other with the terminal tunnel simply stopping and carpark square design taking over. No gentle merger or integration. The carpark is cheap, nasty and square. It sits right in front of the terminal building and breaks the view of the whole building. It would be like putting a carpark in front of Leinster House....oh wait!

Generally t2 reminded me of a shopping centre, Clarehall perhaps.

Many things obviously can't be changed.

However, the fact that DAA can't sort out the public transport information in either terminal is a disgrace and an indictment on their ability to run the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Respectfully, I really must disagree.

Ii was massivly impressed by T2, and ive been in my share of airports.

The lack of continuity between the terminal and car park was not intended: Tthe plan was (and still is) to build a hotel between the terminal and car park which was join the two together. However, due to the fall in passenger numbers, the hotel operator decided to wait it out until a return to growth. The car park and hotel were planned as one project, so a temporary bridge to the car park had to be added. This will of course be fixed when the hotel is built.

I certainly did not find the baggage hall small or cramped, and i actually found it lighter and brighter.

Yes, there's lots of glass. But Idont know what exactly you want to see out of it: its an airport, not a national park. That comment makes it sound like you were looking for things to fault.

As for level changes - you will just have to get used to them. New seciruty requirements regarding segregation of departing and arriving passengers in new build terminals in the airside portion of the terminal mean that either arrivals or departures are going to have to change level at some point.

Dublin also has the added complication of US pre-clearance to factor in, meaning a 3 level system had to be used in the boarding Pier to seperate arrivals, departures and US departures.

There is a sign to T1 from arrivals - you just need to turn left after exiting customs to reach the walkway to T1. It is signposted - ive seen it.

Airport designers always try to design level changes out, but sometimes there isnt much they can do.

You dont like it - fair enough. But at least understand some of the constraints the designers had to work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seta

does anyone know if there is a smoking area in T2 at dublin airport?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

seta wrote: »

I just went out the front to the departures door, I didn't see one inside anywhere but I could have been mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

seta wrote: »

Nope,afraid not. Nearest one airside is the beer garden out the back of the Garden Terrace bar in T1X.

Thankfully it is possible to walk between T2 and T1X airside, so if you are really stuck for a smoke... it is an option! ;-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Aer Lingus are really ramping up their operations in T2 now. Most AL departures and arrivals now appear to be going via Terminal 2.:)

All EI flights to Europe, London, Manchester, Birmingham have been at T2 since Feb 1st.

All transatlantic will move over by 22nd Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Advertisement