Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Can anyone tell me if there is a MAC store in T2. My wife loves MAC makeup and I have bought it in T1 before but as I am flying from T2 in March I was wondering if Mac makeup can be bought in T2. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

tobias12 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is a MAC store in T2. My wife loves MAC makeup and I have bought it in T1 before but as I am flying from T2 in March I was wondering if Mac makeup can be bought in T2. Thanks
    It can.
    Walk down the connecting walkway to T1 and you can buy it as before there.

heres the list of what is available at T2.
    http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/shops-restaurants/the-loop/terminal-2.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There's a MAC counter inside the main Loop store on the left after security.

Sorry guys but maybve I was not very clear with my first post.
    I know there is a MAC shop after security in T1. However I want to know is there a MAC counter in T2? If not can I access the one in T1 from T2. In other words when I go through security in T2 can I walk to T1 to the MAC counter (airside). Thanks

I know there is a MAC shop after security in T1. However I want to know is there a MAC counter in T2? If not can I access the one in T1 from T2. In other words when I go through security in T2 can I walk to T1 to the MAC counter (airside). Thanks
    Havent a clue about the presence or lack of any specific cosmetics counters, but the link corridor is definitely there, which is also useful for anyone looking to goto boots airside in T1, to stock up on medicines etc and take advantage of the cheapo drink+sandwich+crisps deal that they have!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

There is a MAC counter in the main Loop store in T2. When you get through security the store is on the left and the MAC counter is just inside the entrance on the left hand side.

Thanks Lord Lucan. That has cleared that up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

So much for Michael O'leary's guff and bluster. Used T2 on sunday morning around 8am (what would normally be a quiet time) and it was just nicely busy.

You know, the way a proper airport should be - not congested, not stressful, but not dead like a "white elephant" either!

Even T1 seems a hell of a lot better now with 40% of its passengers having been moved over. No matter how much the place was upgraded, it always seemed awful as it was just too busy.

Now maybe they can actually properly clean the bloody place.. ;-)

just for the record, Aerlingus now running everything from T2, except US flights and what I can make out as Aer Lingus Regional (4 digit flight nrs).

I flew a couple of weeks ago through T2.
    I found it very pleasant. There was complaints here previously about having to traverse steps.

To me this brings great memories of the Paris metro, with a suitcase in one hand, and a heavy sweaty football kit bag in the other. And millions of steps and no escalator or lift in sight. A right pain in the hole.

Dublin airport is NOT like that. Its perfectly barrier free. Any change of level can be made by escalator or lift. No need to use a single solitary step. Which is good seeing as i has a baby buggy to push that would have been a balls if i had to get up and down steps.

Facilitywise its class. The main restaurant/ bar behind security overlooks the runway and has table service. (Guinness pricepoint= €4.80 so same as you pay in town)
    Theres a foodcourt upstairs overlooking the shops. The main talking pint (ahem) there for me is the availability of the porterhouse craft beer range on tap!

Checkin was also a breeze, FINALLY theres no lumping of all the germany flights into the same few desks like in T1, whilst other desks lie idle and staffed but unable to take bags for your flight due to Terminal 1 backend logistic reasons. For those not needing to drop bags its even more pleasant, as you dont have to combine your navigation/ scrummaging skills like in T1 to get through a maze of desks and rope fencing to get to security. All the desks are now together for all destinations, so the load on checkin to various places should be better balanced. In T2, from the entrance you have a straight unblocked run up an escalator to security and departures.
    On the flipside, theres only 2 smallish bar/ cafes on landside BUT on reflection, T1 was such a kip, that many people stayed landside as long as possible as there you had more facilities and more space than in the dungeon behind security. The demand for land side facilities was boosted by the lack of any hope of comfort the far side. In T2 theres plenty of space behind security, so no need to avoid it.

Arrivals is not a wonderful experience though.
    Its grand. Functional. But not a wow factor for the foreign visitor whose first impression of ireland will be the arrivals area.
    Time will tell if that baggage claims hall is too small. It does appear to be as small as they could have gotten away with without ommiting it altogether. And the way from passport check to the exit is through the middle of the crowds waiting for their bags, which isn't uncomon, but that isnt an excuse for a stupid design.
    If they were to do 1 thing they should just brighten the place up a bit. Its a bit sterile at the moment, maybe plaster the place in bord failte ads or something?
    Last but not least, the highlight of arrivals has to be the toilets!
    They arent super swish or massive, BUT christ theres no lack of them. They must be every 40 or 50 metres along the 400m or so corridor from the gate. I've only been to a couple of dozen airports, but Dublin has to be the best served airport for toilet facilities amongst them!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I used T2 for an AL flight to Amsterdam on Wednesday. I was very impressed. I did one of the operational trials of T2 back last Sept but to see T2 fully operational, with all the shops and bars was fantastic. Check in all the way through security to the gate was a pleasant breeze. No crowds, no big queues. Very stress free - like the way a proper airport should be.

The shopping and food area on the airside behind security in departures was particularly impressive.:cool: The boarding pier could do with more travelators though. But all in all, a very stress free, straightforward experience in comparison to the cramped, dark misery of Terminal 1 and the terrible Pier A.

• Advertisement

The US flights are now using T2 - just not all of them. On some days, the whole schedule will use T2, while other days perhaps just one will be over at T2.

The entire transfer is complete this coming tuesday the 22nd.

runway16 wrote: »
    The US flights are now using T2 - just not all of them. On some days, the whole schedule will use T2, while other days perhaps just one will be over at T2.

The entire transfer is complete this coming tuesday the 22nd.
    are the aer lingus regionals also for T2 eventualy?

Yes, but exactly when remains a mystery!

I suspect it is a contractual issue as Aer Arann are still tied into their handling contract with Sky Handling partner who only operate out of T1. Once that contract comes up for renewal, I imagine it will be redefined so that passenger handling for EI regional flights is transferred to EI and the flights can then be switched over to T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

In some American airports, they do use airbridges that are specially designed, but its very rare anywhere else. The airbridges in use in Europe would be incompatible and that includes Dublin. However, the gates at Pier E can also be used without using the airbridge (passengers just descend another level and walk out to the aircraft) so that isnt really an issue.

They are a little in the way though in that its always best to give these gates to aircraft with a higher capacity so that they get the benefit of the airbridge, and also T2's stands can often be fully occupied at busy times. Its really better that these flights use remote stands and passengers are bussed to them - its the best use of resources.

There are stands available very close to T2 that would be ideal for the purpose, but the problem is that Aer Arann use their aircraft on both Aer Lingus and Their own branded services which use T1, so using stands at T1 and bussing passengers over from T2 might be better for them.

In the long term, there is a plan to add another Pier to T2 that would cater for smaller aircraft like the ATR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I had the opportunity of going through terminal 2 to the US last week.

I must say I was impressed for the most part. Check-in & security was a breeze and the shopping area is quite good.

My only gripe would be that post-security, the restaurants were pretty bad. Only a burger king and whatever the place next to it is called (food was overpriced and not good).

There is a pub/restaurant as well downstairs, but I would have liked to have seen more selection. I know T1 isn't much better but it seems odd to not have a few more places to eat.

Post US pre-clearance is pretty boring, one small place that does food and drinks (including bottles of beer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭oharach

As predicted by runway16, all Aer Lingus flights depart from T2 as of today. Only the Aer Lingus Regionals to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Cardiff will remain in T1 for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Can anyone confirm which terminal Cityjet are using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Terminal 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Carawaystick family came into the second last gate on the north side of the terminal last week, here seems to be a lack of moving floors, as only about 1/3 of the way had them. It's not as if it's on a bend like pier D, why don't they go the whole way with just gaps at the gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Carawaystick family came into the second last gate on the north side of the terminal last week, here seems to be a lack of moving floors, as only about 1/3 of the way had them. It's not as if it's on a bend like pier D, why don't they go the whole way with just gaps at the gates?

Travelators (or moving walkways) is the correct term but I agree with you - they do not cover enough distance. Although as Irish usage generally involves standing still on them and blocking the entire width (holding up the correct "walking" users behind them) I tend to avoid the ones in the new Pier that has them and no doubt will avoid them in T2 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I flew through Terminal 2 during the week (went to CeBIT for a day). Nice terminal, I don't understand why the travelators are so short though. They could easily be twice as long. The ones in Schiphol put them to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I was in T2 there a few months ago for an interview with the DAA(unsuccessful, unfortunately). I was rushed through it, so I didnt get to see much of it, which disappointed me. So Im wondering, is there anyway of telling whether or not Ill be going through it when I go away this Summer? Ill be flying with Ryanair on the way out and the way back, too.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I was in T2 there a few months ago for an interview with the DAA(unsuccessful, unfortunately). I was rushed through it, so I didnt get to see much of it, which disappointed me. So Im wondering, is there anyway of telling whether or not Ill be going through it when I go away this Summer? Ill be flying with Ryanair on the way out and the way back, too.

Cheers

Don't think Ryanair are going to be using it. Given Michael O'Leary's opinions on how T2 was a white elephant I bet he's happy to have T1 "to himself"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

That's a bit of a disappointment, tbh. The OH went through it there last week on the way back from Rome. Im not sure which airline she was with, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Cheers
    If you really want to see the new terminal you can show up early to the airport and, once past security in T1, you can walk over to T2 airside for a look around. From after T1 security ("The Street") to the T2 departures lounge is about a 10 minute walk, maybe less. Turn left after security and follow the signs for the 400 gates.

You're completely free to look around as much as you like, and you can even walk down Pier E (400 gates) to have a look . Just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get back to T1 and your Ryanair flights, which in all likelihood will be from Pier D (100 gates), completely the opposite end of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Had my first departure and arrivals experience at T2 last week. I must say I was really impressed with it for the most part. It was bustling so I think that gave off a more positive impression than perhaps some of the earlier visitors would have gotten in Nov/Dec/Jan when you might have got an empty echo-y feel. The architecture/sense of space is really impressive.

I read some earlier criticisms about the food choice but I think both landside and airside seem to be ok. There is a big Harvest Market open plan eating area on airside that offered everything (hot carvery/breakfasts etc) you'd get in T1. Burger King/Gourmet Burger Kitchen/O'Briens among others were represented too.

The airside retail area was far superior to T1 and reminded me of classier international airports retail offering. Someone posted here or elsewhere that the shops were a bit too high-end and I agree to an extent. It's one thing buying over priced chocolates or after shave but I could never figure out why travellers would try on or purchase formal suits or evening wear while waiting for a flight? When one has to go to a ball,event or interview abroad, do they say "oh I'll just wait and pick up something new to wear at the airport shops " :confused:. Obviously the retailers there see a market for it but it escapes me!

My only criticism apart from the too short travelators is the lack of clarity over where to get your shuttle buses back to the long stay carparks. They had numbers on a display pointing to where to go but then they had two sets of bus stops with the same numbers so I ended up waiting at the wrong bus-stop Number 8 for my Quick Park shuttle. Obviously, I'll know the next time but it is confusing for first timers!

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    My only criticism apart from the too short travelators is the lack of clarity over where to get your shuttle buses back to the long stay carparks. They had numbers on a display pointing to where to go but then they had two sets of bus stops with the same numbers so I ended up waiting at the wrong bus-stop Number 8 for my Quick Park shuttle. Obviously, I'll know the next time but it is confusing for first timers!
    I'd have to agree.
    The signage isnt 1st class. Finding something as basic as the taxis in T2 wasnt as clear as it could have been.

Better yet. The security entrance has no signs!
    Fair enough, I approached a member of staff to ask why there was no signs, and the answer was that there was signs to bring you there, so the (CLOSED!!) door yonder must be where security is!
    Well. Fair enough. I knew security was somewhere up there. And I could check every door and cupboard to see if its the entrance.
    But searching around isnt what a passenger with bags and a squealy child wants to do.
    A simple sign, "Departures" or "Gates 400-499" (or something along those lines) is all thats needed.

Advertisement