Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

saeglopur wrote: »
    doubt it will be that grand an opening in november. id expect it to be a limited opening with just a few flights operating out of there to begin with
    Very likely to be a trickle rather than a flood I'd say. I would think every airport operator in the world who has been planning a new terminal over the last two or three years has the front pages of the British newspapers for the week that Heathrow's Terminal 5 opened plastered all over a big noticeboard in the project office with a banner over it saying "Let's not do this!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭akkadian

eia340600 wrote: »
    This is the only line of your post that has any truth in it..The Dublin Bikes, for example, havn't even had a single one defaced!!(http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0809/1224276416971.html}

The same can't be said for their French counterparts and don't even get me started with England...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111487751

yeah, sounds like someone hasn't been to those places. I'd rather take my chances on Ireland I think. It's a unique and very stylish terminal. I'm surprised they aren't planning to replace operation in terminal one with terminal 2.

MYOB wrote: »
    Ah now, Schiphol is not a model anywhere should aspire to...

that's for sure. Really poor design, and it's old now. It'll be overhauled or replaced in the end I'd assume, if possible. The escalators in Charles De Gaule are really old - that place looks average now. The nicest airports in the future will be built in the emerging economies - Asia, South America, Russia..Easter Europe maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

akkadian wrote: »
    that's for sure. Really poor design, and it's old now. It'll be overhauled or replaced in the end I'd assume, if possible. The escalators in Charles De Gaule are really old - that place looks average now. The nicest airports in the future will be built in the emerging economies - Asia, South America, Russia..Easter Europe maybe

Munich Airport is a nice airport in my opinion. However, Charles de Gaulle T1 is horrible and dated.

Ireland isn't doing too badly anyway. T2 in Dublin looks spectacular and Cork Airport (although I never passed through it) also looks impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I really hope the layout in T2 doesn't follow the example commonly set in many British airports like Gatwick or Manchester where finding your way to your gate comes secondary to navigating your way through the maze that is airport shopping. T1 is beginning to show signs of this with the new extension.

In Manchester airport I've actually seen people miss their flights after getting through security because instead of being greeted by clear directions and logical lines of sight to your gate you're greeted by a surreal shopping centre experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

AngryLips wrote: »
    I really hope the layout in T2 doesn't follow the example commonly set in many British airports like Gatwick or Manchester where finding your way to your gate comes secondary to navigating your way through the maze that is airport shopping. T1 is beginning to show signs of this with the new extension.

In Manchester airport I've actually seen people miss their flights after getting through security because instead of being greeted by clear directions and logical lines of sight to your gate you're greeted by a surreal shopping centre experience.

I don't think that will be the case at all. I took part in the trials of T2 a couple of weeks ago and it seems like the layout is designed to get passengers to go straight to their gates without much faffing about after they check in.

The shops were only being fitted out when I was there but T2 seems much "cleaner" and "emptier" than T1, with less things to distract you between check in and your boarding gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,690 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Manchester T1 has to be the worst for that I've seen anywhere. The entire terminal needs replacing, but all they've done of late is dump Liffey Valley Lite in between security and the gates.

I think its actually impossible to NOT walk through the booze/perfume outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

akkadian wrote: »
    yeah, sounds like someone hasn't been to those places. I'd rather take my chances on Ireland I think. It's a unique and very stylish terminal. I'm surprised they aren't planning to replace operation in terminal one with terminal 2.

There isnt nearly enough space in T2 to accomodate everything - whatever about squashing in passengers, there simply isnt enough space for all the aircraft. (Unfortunately) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I was of the impression the design of T2 was meant to be modular with the possibility of adding additional piers to it in future? Also pier B will form part of T2 eventually.

I hope they do something with T1 once it opens. The area beyond security has a very crowded feel to it of late although apart from this, and the shambles that is Pier A and B, it's a pretty pleasant place to use otherwise.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I was of the impression the design of T2 was meant to be modular with the possibility of adding additional piers to it in future? Also pier B will form part of T2 eventually.

I hope they do something with T1 once it opens. The area beyond security has a very crowded feel to it of late although apart from this, and the shambles that is Pier A and B, it's a pretty pleasant place to use otherwise.

There is space to add one more pier - but it will be much smaller than the one currently being built at T2. It could accomodate perhaps 8 short haul aircraft. That still wont be enough. (Pier D has 16 such stands, while Pier A has 12 with additional bus gates). So, T2 with a new pier and incorporating Pier B still would not be large enough for all the airport's traffic.

There were plans for a total refurbishment of T1 once T2 opened, but of course the usual campaign of bitching about charges from some airlines has meant that only a scaled down refurbishment will now take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Although I emailed the DAA and never got a reply, I see on another website, that those involved in the 'trials' have been advised that the first flights are scheduled to depart from T2 on 29th November but the terminal will be having a ‘soft’ opening so it will be some time after that before it is fully operational.

So looks like not much for 2010.

runway16 wrote: »
    There isnt nearly enough space in T2 to accomodate everything - whatever about squashing in passengers, there simply isnt enough space for all the aircraft. (Unfortunately) ;-)
    Point taken, but it still makes more sense to me to have surplus T2 volume overflow into T1 rather than vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

don't come up with this - oh I'm Irish so I have to defend the indefensible to be patriotic! A 2minute google search would have contradicted your point
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/free-bikes-scheme-is-hit-by-vandals--after-just-one-day-1885887.html
    ...after just one day!!!!!!!!

I myself went to use one of those bikes outside the Custom House, and the whole gear cog thing had been vandalised on the back wheel - and thats just my experience - I'm sure many have similar experience.

oh and let me guess, there are no scumbags on the Luas red line either....:rolleyes:

FFS, we are the only country in Europe that I'm aware that have so many scumbags that we can't even have cow statues
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/8484/Antigraffiti-team-to-fight-cow.2777738.jp
    Totally agree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I took part in a trial in T2 yesterday..the check in area reminds me of US airports...basically desks against the wall opposite the entry doors...very linear.

Departures is 2 floors up. Ecscalators and lift options. It's all very bright and airy.

Gate areas like Pier D in T1, not very exciting.

Only 6 belts in baggage claim area, on the plus side bags come down at 2 points mid belt so you won't get the crowds round the end of the belts like you do in T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I took part in the trials and was generally impressed.

However, I had a problem with check-in. The new system means that all passengers for all flights will queue up together in a big snaking line. I have no problem with this and always finds it works well in US airports.

My problem was with the staff member at the top of this line. They were not waiting for a check in desk to come free to then direct the member of public to.

The staff member was directing the public to queue two deep at the check in desks. This to me was problematic for two reasons.

Firstly, it caused major congestion. The person checking in and the person queuing behind them both had trolleys and it was very difficult to manouever in the tight space.

The second reason this is a problem (and this is a big one) means that you could be delayed checking in if you are directed to queue behind a person who is having a problem checking in (lost passport, etc.)

Staff will need to be properly trained in queue management and should only direct the person at the top of the queue to a check in desk when the staff member becomes free to check them in.

Did anyone else notice this at their trial?????

Had the same problem, though when the self-check in points are added it should take some of that away. At one point I was directed to queue behind a person checking in...and had to wait 10 mins. At least 10 people who were behind me in the line got seen at other desks while I was waiting!

I was at the Aer Lingus area and there were two big lines. I found the one on the right (the higher numbers) to move much faster than the one on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I also took part in the trials and altogether was impressed. However after cbp the gates are on either side of the corridor in Pier E, but the seating is only on one side therefore when flights are boarding passengers will have to queue across a corridor, seems like bad planning to me.

I also heard continental airlines staff saying it would be a nightmare to board two gates in the same area at the same time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I also took part in the trials and altogether was impressed. However after cbp the gates are on either side of the corridor in Pier E, but the seating is only on one side therefore when flights are boarding passengers will have to queue across a corridor, seems like bad planning to me.

I also heard continental airlines staff saying it would be a nightmare to board two gates in the same area at the same time.
    Took part in the trial on Sat. I noticed what you're saying there, but didn't pick up on it - thx for pointing it out.

They weren't getting people to queue the way Diddler1977 described. The queue system I was in was one queue, one flight, two desks. Same as T1 and it worked very well - I'd say I was queuing for about 1 minute. Not sure what was going on when s/he was there; they may have been trying out a different config.

Fair bit of walking to get to Pier E, but very bright and airy the whole way. No problem finding the pier.

Probs when I arrived though. Needed gate 403 but 401-406 weren't signposted. You had to follow signs for US Customs Preclearance even though I was going to Cuba. Not intuitive.

Generally good impression of T2 though. Up to international standards.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Took part in the trial on Sat. I noticed what you're saying there, but didn't pick up on it - thx for pointing it out.

They weren't getting people to queue the way Diddler1977 described. The queue system I was in was one queue, one flight, two desks. Same as T1 and it worked very well - I'd say I was queuing for about 1 minute. Not sure what was going on when s/he was there; they may have been trying out a different config.

Fair bit of walking to get to Pier E, but very bright and airy the whole way. No problem finding the pier.

Probs when I arrived though. Needed gate 403 but 401-406 weren't signposted. You had to follow signs for US Customs Preclearance even though I was going to Cuba. Not intuitive.

Generally good impression of T2 though. Up to international standards.

This is the whole idea of the trials - to iron out any problems, and get feedback on any issues you encounter. I hope the staff were keen to listen to these problems you encountered, and im sure they will be put right for opening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Hello everyone.

I have booked a flight to Newark from Dublin with Continental on Wednesday 21st of December 2010. I found this thread very informative about the new terminal.

My question is this. Does anyone know if Continental will be flying from T2 and if so when they will be moving into it? I would love to fly out of the new terminal. If any of you guys have any info regarding this between now and then will you please post.

Once again thanks for all the useful T2 information/pics and links etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Continental will be moving to T2 along with all other North American carriers. The terminal opens in late November, so I'd say by the 21st of December Continental should be operating in T2. Nothings official yet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Thanks for that. keep me informed if you see anything formal either via TV newspapers or in the net. I am dying to know whaen they will be moving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

This is the whole idea of the trials - to iron out any problems, and get feedback on any issues you encounter. I hope the staff were keen to listen to these problems you encountered, and im sure they will be put right for opening time.
    Oh, be assured - I wrote all my comments extensively on the comment form :)

spacetweek wrote: »
    Oh, be assured - I wrote all my comments extensively on the comment form :)

Good! Im glad to hear it. From what I have seen of the terminal myself, all the internal fittings are not installed yet (such as seats) so I reckon most of those issues were just theoretical anyway (well, I hope so..)

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Good! Im glad to hear it. From what I have seen of the terminal myself, all the internal fittings are not installed yet (such as seats) so I reckon most of those issues were just theoretical anyway (well, I hope so..)

;-)

Yes, hopefully, as there were no seats installed at the arrivals area....!

Was it just me or did the arrivals area feel very small?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

athtrasna wrote: »
    Was it just me or did the arrivals area feel very small?
    The smaller the better. Airport habits have changed and you really don't want people hanging around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

;-)

The internal fittings seem to have been fitted for the most recent trial, it was pretty much complete. There is no way of remedying the problem with the seating in departures as there is simply no room to fix the problem.

mmcn90 wrote: »
    The internal fittings seem to have been fitted for the most recent trial, it was pretty much complete. There is no way of remedying the problem with the seating in departures as there is simply no room to fix the problem.

Hmm... was the problem you referred to just in the US CBP area or just on the general departures floor?

There maybe some element of it being designed that way on purpose to eliminate congestion around the baording gates and provide clearer space for queuing - which is an issue in the currrent terminal. I havent seen it myself, so its hard to say.

I'd hate to think something so basic was screwed up in a brand new showpiece terminal!! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

I'd hate to think something so basic was screwed up in a brand new showpiece terminal!! ;-)

think this might be your answer unfortunately. From what i remember gates 401 and 403 have no seating around the gate. you are asked to sit in the area opposite at gates 402 and 404 respectively. Its not ideal

Advertisement