Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

saeglopur wrote: »
    think this might be your answer unfortunately. From what i remember gates 401 and 403 have no seating around the gate. you are asked to sit in the area opposite at gates 402 and 404 respectively. Its not ideal

Yep thats exactly what I was referring to, it just seems stupid. As for the normal departures area, I didn't see it so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sonofabeach

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Short term thinking is what got this country into the mess that we are currently in. The short term view would see the terminal as unnecessary but if we look at the medium to long term the population of Dublin and Ireland is going to grow and the extra capacity will be needed.

In the mean time, once the new terminal is ready, it might be a good idea to move some of the existing services there and take the opportunity to do any repairs or improvements which may be necessary to the existing terminal.

This would make sense in an ideal world. Alot of the services are being transfered to T2 but the staff from T1 are being let go because the existing units are being closed or downsized. The much publicised :new jobs: in T2 are only replacing the T1 jobs at a much lower rate of pay and worse conditions. In fact if people that get let go from T1 are re-employed in T2 they will be working harder and longer for less money. In this respect T2 will be a step back to a time when workers were treated like dirt with no rights or dignity.
    If the newish Pier D in T1 is anything to go by T2 will be a disaster. Some said the DAA could'nt predict a recession. The DAA could'nt pick their noses without hiring expensive consultants and then doing the oppisite of whatever was recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

This would make sense in an ideal world. Alot of the services are being transfered to T2 but the staff from T1 are being let go because the existing units are being closed or downsized. The much publicised :new jobs: in T2 are only replacing the T1 jobs at a much lower rate of pay and worse conditions. In fact if people that get let go from T1 are re-employed in T2 they will be working harder and longer for less money. In this respect T2 will be a step back to a time when workers were treated like dirt with no rights or dignity.
    If the newish Pier D in T1 is anything to go by T2 will be a disaster. Some said the DAA could'nt predict a recession. The DAA could'nt pick their noses without hiring expensive consultants and then doing the oppisite of whatever was recommended.

You don't happen to work for Ryanair do you?
    Personally speaking I think Pier D has been an excellent addition to the airport. How about waiting until Terminal 2 actually opens before you pass summary judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

The much publicised :new jobs: in T2 are only replacing the T1 jobs at a much lower rate of pay and worse conditions. In fact if people that get let go from T1 are re-employed in T2 they will be working harder and longer for less money. In this respect T2 will be a step back to a time when workers were treated like dirt with no rights or dignity.

Let's not exaggerate too much. They're getting paid several thousand Euro in compensation and retaining a secure and reasonably-well paid state job. There is no loss in rights or dignity. The airport regulator told DAA they were too expensive and only gave them the license to run T2 if they agreed to cut wages and other expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

I think Pier D has been an excellent addition
    seriously I have to stop you here.

It is a bag of stinky elephant poo.
    it has no decent restaurants, only overpriced coffee shops
    all the decent shopping is back at the security
    there are no water fountains I can find
    it is the daas idea of a joke and now that there's a recession do you see the pier d flights being hauled back to the A&B gates (this renumbering is complete arse )

It should have been its own terminal from Day 1, using the original historic facade as an entry.

Forcing arriving joe public to walk 500m down the pier, then another up escalator, then another 400m, and then queue like dicks for passport control in a poorly designed immigration hall that is like the u-bend of a jax in the way it funnels people ? That's DAA speak for annoyed customer.

And let's not get started on the ryanair baggage boys not using the closer belts to that side and instead forcing the public to traipse up the other end for a giggle [ which has gone on for 20 years or so now ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 sonofabeach

No not Ryanair but I do work in the Airport in one of the franchise'. Pier D is a joke, when it rains there are buckets put out to catch the leaks, there are no ATMs,nowhere to get a substanial meal, no water fountains, nowhere for to get baby food or bottles heated, no smoking area within a 10 min walk and only two sets of very small toilets. When there are one or two delays there's a huge shortage of seating space.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

... when it rains there are buckets put out to catch the leaks...
    That's Hegarty's problem really. They will be forced to come back and fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

OisinT wrote: »
    That's Hegarty's problem really. They will be forced to come back and fix that.
    But shouldn't thry have been back by now? Its only open what 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Dacian wrote: »
    But shouldn't thry have been back by now? Its only open what 2 years?
    Oh, sorry I misread T2. Don't know who built Pier D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

One of the things that struck me about T2 is all the newsagents are WH Smiths? Some other English concessions too...are Irish shops not good enough for DAA??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

athtrasna wrote: »
    One of the things that struck me about T2 is all the newsagents are WH Smiths? Some other English concessions too...are Irish shops not good enough for DAA??
    I'd imagine what's best for DAA is whoever's willing to pay the highest rent.

And anyway, give me WHSmith and Boots's meal deals over Irish Spar, Centra and Londis ripoffs any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

athtrasna wrote: »
    Hughes&Hughes who used to be in the airport have gone bust. WH Smith took over their franchise in T1 and have agreed to go into T2. They are using the airport as they first foray into the Irish market.
    Having been in the WH Smith in T1 recently, it is well laid out, well lit with a great range of books/magazines.

Am sure if Eason wanted to they could have tendered for the T2 franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Off-topic posts removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,690 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dacian wrote: »
    Hughes&Hughes who used to be in the airport have gone bust. WH Smith took over their franchise in T1 and have agreed to go into T2. They are using the airport as they first foray into the Irish market.
    Having been in the WH Smith in T1 recently, it is well laid out, well lit with a great range of books/magazines.

Am sure if Eason wanted to they could have tendered for the T2 franchise.

Where is the WHS in Terminal 1? Eason's bought the H&H franchises there; I use the airport a lot and have cleared missed the WHS.

I suspect Eason's DID tender, and didn't get it.

WHS are already in Shannon as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Folks,

Is there any official date in November for the opening of T2?? I am flying to the states in december and was wondering if it was open that I could fly from T2? I am going with Continental (not even sure if they are moving to T2). any ideas anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Where is the WHS in Terminal 1? Eason's bought the H&H franchises there; I use the airport a lot and have cleared missed the WHS.

I suspect Eason's DID tender, and didn't get it.

WHS are already in Shannon as it happens.

agree - it's easons opposite where H&H used to be to the left of security in T1. down towards the old C gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

tobias12 wrote: »
    Folks,

Is there any official date in November for the opening of T2?? I am flying to the states in december and was wondering if it was open that I could fly from T2? I am going with Continental (not even sure if they are moving to T2). any ideas anyone???

Have you tried asking sombody in Continental as to their plans?

With regard to the opening date I am signed up for the last of the four trials on October 9th. Assuming that these trials have gone well one would assume that the terminal would open sometime in the following month. But officially there's no opening date at the moment. I'm sure once we have one somebody will be on here fairly quickly to post it.

As to whether Continental will have moved to the terminal that's a matter for them although it would seem to make sense given that there will be a full customs and immigration area for the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Jayuu wrote: »
    Have you tried asking sombody in Continental as to their plans?

With regard to the opening date I am signed up for the last of the four trials on October 9th. Assuming that these trials have gone well one would assume that the terminal would open sometime in the following month. But officially there's no opening date at the moment. I'm sure once we have one somebody will be on here fairly quickly to post it.

As to whether Continental will have moved to the terminal that's a matter for them although it would seem to make sense given that there will be a full customs and immigration area for the US.

Thanks for the heads up and hope the trial goes well. I did ring Continental and the girl knew about T2 opening but could not confirm if Continental were moving in or not. I will keep an eye on here for the latest developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

trellheim wrote: »
    agree - it's easons opposite where H&H used to be to the left of security in T1. down towards the old C gates.

It's also Easons in piers A and D, and in the arrivals area - there's no WH Smith in Terminal 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

tobias12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up and hope the trial goes well. I did ring Continental and the girl knew about T2 opening but could not confirm if Continental were moving in or not. I will keep an eye on here for the latest developments.

Continental will be moving to T2 - the full list of airlines is Aer Lingus, Delta, Continental / United Airlines, US Airways, American Airlines and Etihad Airways.

Everyone else, including Air Canada and Air Transat will stay at T1.

There is no official word on when all the moves will take place - it is likely to be a phased opening to avoid a Heathrow T5 style fiasco.

Rumour suggests Nov 29th will be the first day of Operations with Aer Lingus services to London Heathrow and Gatwick being the first to move, followed quickly by their other European Services. It wont take months to move everything in, but it will be phased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

In other news T2 multistory is taking shape fairly quickly now, lot of precast concrete being fitted at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Dublin Airport's Terminal 2 is due to open in the third week of November after a successful 'live' trial today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    In other news T2 multistory is taking shape fairly quickly now, lot of precast concrete being fitted at the moment.

Are they still building the hotel on top of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

irishguy wrote: »
    Are they still building the hotel on top of it?

Been put on hold afaik due to the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

lord lucan wrote: »
    Been put on hold afaik due to the recession.

Regulator didn't allow funding for it

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I too took part in the T2 trials yesterday.

I can confirm the W H Smith in in the area after security (i.e. departures shopping).

I've put a walk-through of the terminal for departing and arriving here.

Regards
    C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

I enjoyed reading your review stephen. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Conway635 wrote: »
    I too took part in the T2 trials yesterday.

I can confirm the W H Smith in in the area after security (i.e. departures shopping).

I've put a walk-through of the terminal for departing and arriving here.

Regards
    C635

Thanks Steve, that was a great read. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

DAA is set to announce the opening date for T2 tomorrow at a press conference. So should be on the evening news i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Trial was a good experience I must say - I'd elaborate but Mr Conway there has done a very thorough job already! Was interesting to me even though I was there, cheers for taking the time to share the thoughts.

Have to say the DAA were very professional, and the airline staff (Etihad for me) were very nice also. As ex-daa staff it was interesting for me to see the new place and also I noted, after asking the ASU lady, that the entire building remains landside, not airside, therefore the security search was for show only.

Advertisement